Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do next year

• 26-03-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭

So I am in 3rd year and hoping next year to be in 4th year quite obviously although after those exam results it remains in doubt but anyway I am contemplating whether to move into Shanowen next year.

I live on Collins Avenue but I live down by Donnycarney so it is an half hour walk which when it is November and it's cold and raining doesn't appeal to me greatly.
    I also think it almost a rite of passage that students live away from home to get that full student experience, also lived at home all my life bar last summer when I went to the US, think it would be good for me to get out for a while. There is also certain things which sort of want to make me get the hell out of there for a while.

On the other side, I have everything sorted at home, Sky digital, sky plus, broadband, home made dinners each day, nice house etc and although it is half an hour walk, I could buy a bike or something like that or hope 103 has more journeys per day, nah wait who am I kidding there.

So I am quite torn on it, the money for it is not a problem as I am doing Intra and that will pay for it, I wouldn't go to res as I would prefer not to live in a mini concentration camp. Also if I do go for it, next point is do I look at what people I know or doing or do I just move in with random group. Ah decisions, decisions. So what do people think I should do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

If I was you I'd just stay at home and save 110 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Buy a bike, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cupsoftea

yep, i agree stay home. Moving out in 4th year probably isn't the best idea. You'll be busy with projects and study. Its not the best time to learn to live with other people. You'll have to shop, cook AND clean up for every meal. And do your share of the hoovering, bill paying, cleaning up. You may end up with people who don't want to watch sky sports because Coronation street is on, etc etc. Its not all rosy in flat land. Especially when you can save yourself a fortune and get your meals cooked at home. This will be a stessful year for you, esp if you found the exams tough this year. Save the move till next year when you'll more money and freedom to move out in comfort-(can get a nicer place, buy your own tv, afford more meals out etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭*Shelly*

Stay at home tbh. If i had that option thats what i'd go with but i can't. I have to live up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Tony Danza wrote:
    If I was you I'd just stay at home and save 110 a week.

I give 50 a week for rent so wouldn't be saving 110 more 60.
    In terms of the money, if I had a really good yeah if I do it then whats 2,000 grand in 10 years when I think back, that would be general idea anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ah yes, once again I'm going to disagree with everyone else...:D

Alrity then, where to start. Well the only downside I can see of you moving out now is that you'll be doing so in 4th year which will be a rather stressful year (or so I'm told) however you spend alot of time in the labs anyway so tbh I don't see that as being a big problem.

My main point about people living away from home lies not only in the experience you will gain in doing so but also the experience in terms of when your finished college. After next year you will more than likely be leaving the education system and will finally be out on your own. This is going to be a MAJOR change for you and to cut a long story short I personally think having to cope with moving out of your house for the first time is something you wont want to have to deal with on top of all these other changes.

Aswell as this life outside of the home while in college is great fun and tbh its the last time your going to have this opportunity. Money also doesn't seem to be a problem for you, you can get broadband in Shanowen and the college bar is only across the road for most of the major sporting events.

Hence overall I say go for it. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I have yet to see a student residence in anything less than an utterly filthy, tiny and non-private setting.

I have no doubt that the novelty would wear off seriosuly fúcking quickly.

And this is coming from someone who has to travel nearly two hours a day into college. It's also coming from someone who hasn't lived away from home though :)

CuLT wrote:
    I have yet to see a student residence in anything less than an utterly filthy, tiny and non-private setting.

Heh, well you should have seen where I stayed in summer. As for tiny, my bedroom is 10 foot by 8 foot, if anything is smaller I would be impressed.
    2 hour journey though, nasty!

Ah see you just have to be careful who you get advice from, no offence intended to anyone. Someone who has not lived away from home before has little to no knowledge of what its like tbh. CuLT there has clearly never been in either of the Shanowens or College Park on campus and if he has then...hrm what were you doing in there. ;) These have nicely sized rooms, are nice and clean and are as private as you want them to be tbh. :)

Ok i'm jus after logging into redbrick and saw i was mentioned ****ers :p

My scholarship doesn't cloud my judgement when it comes to this matter. I can see points for and against. I think the prospect of having to walk to the cold and rain for half hour every day is horrible. I have lived on campus for 2 years and lived with two differents sets of people both times. While i had a fantastic time last year i have to say that i have been stuck with a bunch of snobs this year. I can't even have my music at above a whisper or they'll start banging on the walls.

As i said there are points for and against but also if you do decide to move bear in mind that you could really get stuck with a bunch of tits

• Advertisement

Hah, it was nice mentioning though, don't worry...I didnt even know about the scholarship tbh. :D

Anyway, yes having to live with a bunch of ****tards is of course a worry but I've managed to live with some pretty cool people over the last 3 years in both Res and Shanowen so its the luck of the draw tbh.

Oh and if they're complaining about noise kindly point out that the low/no noise only comes into affect after midnight, the rest of the day you can do whatever you want as long as its not "excessive" and by that I mean distrubing people in the neighbouring apartments, not your room mates.

If i gave a shit about what my roomates said then yeh i prolly tell em that :D

Hah, adda girl. Well there you go, since when has Rob ever given a **** about what other people think or say? :D

I suppose but still if i had the choice i'd live at home even though my dad would want to know my whereabouts every waking moment of the day :)

Hah, adda girl. Well there you go, since when has Rob ever given a **** about what other people think or say? :D

that comment offends me greatly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

cooker3 wrote:
    that comment offends me greatly :)
    why?

Because I said it. :D

Nah hes only kidding, we've been agreeing on stuff way too much these days and he probably wants to try to put me in my place or something...

i can see how that will work :rolleyes:

Yea, he'll get pwnd in teh face tbh. :D

ooooh ooooh, you could flick him across the room. that'd be teh funneeee.

can i watch? i'll bring popcorn. Manhatten AND perri. (Perri for the cheese)

• Advertisement

Pfft, you can't watch someones ass getting kicked with some decent fresh popcorn. Get some microwave skills tbh! :D

Pfft, you can't watch someones ass getting kicked with some decent fresh popcorn. Get some microwave skills tbh! :D
    excuse me - i have perfectly good microwave skills. i am afterall a student!!

Pfft, I wouldnt know. Masterchef in the making over here...:p

Pfft, I wouldnt know. Masterchef in the making over here...:p
    i am pointing at your face (i know it exists) because you are being sarcastic

I would pwn you's both tbh!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry bout that....Jus the thought of Rob actually pwning someone :)

it also made me laugh.

don't give up the day job!

there is going to have to be some major pwnage here!!

cooker3 wrote:
    bring it on!

• Advertisement

cooker3 wrote:
    You love me too much tbh :p

*Shelly* wrote:

You love me too much tbh :p
    rob has emotions?

!!STOP THE PRESS!!

I know. Its quite scary tbh

Your just asking for it.
    I have lot emotion, just have to catch me at right or wrong moment!

cooker3 wrote:
    Your just asking for it.
    I have lot emotion!
    Of course you do pet

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Can we leave the spamming to

Redbrick please, off topic posts are unmoderated here and it's annoying having to sift through the crap, thanks.

• Advertisement

Ferror wrote:
    Can we leave the spamming to

Redbrick please, off topic posts are unmoderated here and it's annoying having to sift through the crap, thanks.

what about those of us who aren't on redbrick?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

rugbug86 wrote:
    what about those of us who aren't on redbrick?

Are you not?

Sorry, just noticed the posters on the last couple of pages...

I don't really care too much other than the fact it's the same people and the same crap over and over again.

Meh! No offence intended, i'm just a bit too lazy to keep pressing the "PgDn" key ;)

Thanks for the input Rugbug86.

Advertisement