Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pseudo BTX / Reverse ATX with CM-Stacker

Options
  • 26-03-2006 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

So I have my shiney new stacker sitting here for the last few days weighting for my radiator to arrive before I start hacking it apart. Today I decided to make the switch to reverse ATX.

So I follow the instructions to take out the motherboard tray, all going fine. Flip it over to the other sie of the case and invert it so that it's the right way around. Think to myself, grand, this is going fine. Then it comes to slotting it back in and screwing it in place. It fits in pretty alright at first, till I realise that it's not fitting right at all up at the bracket for the powersupply. The very top of the motherboard tray is hitting off the little lip at the bottom of the PSU bay. Can't figure out how it's meant to fit at all, it just keeps hitting off there.

Am I missing something obvious here doing this ?

Cheers for any help fellow stacker owners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Here's a PDF file with instructions....maybe it will help...seems pretty detailed.

http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/installation_manual/CMstacker_manul_en.pdf

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Cheers, it's close but not exactly what I want. They're the same instructions that come with it. I followed them and managed to convert it to BTX, but that's no good for me since I want to attach an ATX mobo. Unless of course i'm missing somethin here... this case confuses me!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Cheers, it's close but not exactly what I want. They're the same instructions that come with it. I followed them and managed to convert it to BTX, but that's no good for me since I want to attach an ATX mobo. Unless of course i'm missing somethin here... this case confuses me!

can't be done. At least I dont think it can. I tried it when i first got the case but stuff just wouldnt fit

Yeah thats what I'm thinking now. I'm almost certain I've seen pictures of it, and I've seen reviews where they say it's possible. Doesn't look like it though. Where the hell are the other stacker owners... I know they're out there.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Maybe that plate allows it to be converted to proper BTX, and not just up side down ATX.

Im sure you will manage it with a few minutes of Dremeling;)

• Advertisement

Yeah the little plate converts it to proper BTX. To do the upside down ATX conversion you don't change any plate or anything, you just flip the motherboard tray to the left rather than the right.

Made that mistake first go, I followed all the steps for BTX conversion, just finished putting it back together and smacked my head. Took it all apart, put it back the way it used to be and flipped the mobo tray. Then ended up where I am now...

Yeah if i comes to it i'll just dremel it. I drilling out the top power supply bay to make room for my PA120.3 anyway, so it's no biggy to slice a little bit off the case where it's catching.

You have a lot of dremeling ahead of you to fit that Rad:D

I was thinking of getting water cooling but im at 2.95ghz @1.47 and 40 degree full load with my Freezer 64 pro, so I will hold off for another while until i need more power:D

Going to drill out the the rivets for the top PSU cage, and pull it out. Once that's done the jigsaw is coming out to play with the top of the case. Gonna be a tight squeeze but the rad should fit from the point where the plastic ends to the very back. Doesn't really matter if the jigsaw doesn't do a neat job, a radgrill should hide any mess very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have a dremel and discs you can use. Id do a straight swap for the Cooler on the 9800.

Oh that'd be very nice. You mean to keep the dremel ?!? Sounds too good to be true. You could keep the 9800 if you want to make it into a keychain or something.... lol

• Advertisement

Dremels are nice for neat work, but if you have a jigsaw use it to cut the big hole for the radiator, if you have a nice steel bit in it, it will leave a clean edge, also cover the top of the case with masking top to stop it scratching. You would go through a lot of dremel bits and a lot of frustration trying to cut it with the dremel.

You have no respect for the 9800pro its the 7800gtx of its era:rolleyes:

LOL:D

It died on me abruptly after about 7 months use, it can burn in hell for all I care. The cheap piece of aluminium with a fan attached to it (Arctic Silencer) is worth more :).

I reckon I'll do the majority of the hacking with the jigsaw, have a 480watt one, I reckon it'll be enough power :D. Can use the dremel to clean it up and butcher the PSU Bay.

Get on xfire some night krazy and we can arrange something, haven't seen you around in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I will and I have at least 5 heavy duty cuttings disks for it. Should be enough. Although you better pm me your number cause my rigs out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm in the same boat. I was talking to a guy from Oz on the CM forums who had managed it, he bent back the lip.
    I'm going to cut mine with a dremel, a jigsaw is a bad idea.

SyxPak wrote:
    I'm in the same boat. I was talking to a guy from Oz on the CM forums who had managed it, he bent back the lip.
    I'm going to cut mine with a dremel, a jigsaw is a bad idea.

The jigsaw is a good idea for cutting the whole for the rad, not cutting the interfering piece of the case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Burn my eyes, for they do not work smile.gif

Advertisement