Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Chocolate?

• 26-03-2006 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Why dont the Irish have their own chocolate brand?

Just Wondering :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i thought cadburys was irish...

what about butlers IRISH chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

rugbug86 wrote:
    i thought cadburys was irish...

Cadbury's is as Irish as Guinness...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am afraid Cadburys is by no means Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Butlers Irish Chocolate.
    Chez Emily.
    Colleen's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

butlers ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Willem D wrote:

That was my point. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Willem D wrote:
    thats why i said i THOUGHT :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

o'connaills are based in carraigaline
    (cork for those of you not from the people's republic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

lily O'Brien is your only man

http://www.lilyobriens.ie/

minimum 30% cocoa, real chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

There are loads of irish choccies.

Lilly O'Brien
    Lir chocolate
    Butlers

I'm sure there are more just can't ring them off at the top of my head. And by the way.... Cadbury's is British

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

As memphis said.. honestly i cant understand how Willem D did not know.. i mean all he had to do was look in the chocolate section in any supermarket or all the duty free areas in the Airports.

Lir is based in Navan after moving from east wall to much bigger place.. One of my customers so i soemtimes get free chocs :D Lir do a great Baileys truffle.

There are others less well known too... umm google :D

Another piece of useful (useless) info regarding Cadbury!!

Roald Dahl's book "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" is based around the Cadbury's factory in the UK.... as far as I recall!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cadburys cannot be called chocolate in some countries. Doesnt have enough % of cocoa or something, like why cooking chocolate is called "chocolate flavoured", like cheapo easter eggs

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I get the Butler's Bertie Bunny every year at Easter and 'tis very tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Oooh, this thread reminded me to go visit the Cadbury's factory... I live a 40 minute train ride away from Bournville and have to visit before I move back to Ireland! I imagine the whole area to be all magical and Roald Dahlesque... Totally not going to live up to my expectations at this rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LadyLotts wrote:
    Totally not going to live up to my expectations at this rate!
    Its meant to be pretty good. More for kids I think, but the people who went were in their 40's and enjoyed it.

Stop drinking de chocolate Agustus Lotts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Noticed Gallaghers chocolates too in Finglas business centre but never noticed any of their stuff in shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

memphis wrote:
    There are loads of irish choccies.

Lilly O'Brien
    Lir chocolate
    Butlers

Not strictly 'Irish' though. Having worked for one of these companies many years ago, I can tell you the chocolate used is imported from Belguim. It's simply melted down, moulded and packaged in Ireland so it's not genuine Irish chocolate.

Kolodny wrote:
    Not strictly 'Irish' though. Having worked for one of these companies many years ago, I can tell you the chocolate used is imported from Belguim. It's simply melted down, moulded and packaged in Ireland so it's not genuine Irish chocolate.
    Interesting slant on it, that is. Wasn't aware of that!!

Was under the impression that they were all 100% irish chocolates!!

Learn something new every day, eh?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Kolodny wrote:
    Without naming names, would it be 1st 2nd or 3rd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

delly wrote:
    Without naming names, would it be 1st 2nd or 3rd?

lol

Well, when I worked there I was told that they all ordered their chocolate from roughly the same source. That's supposedly why it tastes so nice. Strictly speaking Cadbury's chocolate made in the Dublin factory is more authentically Irish - I think it tastes very different to how it did in the UK when I was a kid, always thought it was something to do with Irish milk having a 'richer' taste but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

mmm..chocolate!! :D

Advertisement