Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP or XP 64 bit for a P4 box?

• 26-03-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭

Is there any real advantage with going for XP 64 with a P4 box. Usage will be fairly light - mail, browsing, some webdev work and programming and games. Or would it be better to take the cheaper option with XP home or pro?

Regards...jmcc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Unless you've got a 64bit chip - any debate is pointless. Even then, I personally wouldn't go for XP64 - lack of a decent selection of required software that run on the OS, and an even greater lack of software that takes advantage of it (For now,at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭jmcc

Karoma wrote:
    Unless you've got a 64bit chip - any debate is pointless. Even then, I personally wouldn't go for XP64 - lack of a decent selection of required software that run on the OS, and an even greater lack of software that takes advantage of it (For now,at least).
    Well the P4 in question is a 64 bit chip. The games would be Half-Life 2/Day of Defeat Source etc. The real work will be done on a Linux partition of the same box. It is just that XP 64 is almost twice the price of XP home.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If you dont want a headache dont go with x64, unless you are using it for an app. that takes full advantage of x64 (like Adobe premiere 2.0)
    Im using X64 dual booted with XP pro.
    Some drivers for hardware are hard to get and my firewall software doesnt work with x64 systems. So I basically only use it for Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop CS2.
    X64 comes with a 32bit IE explorer and a 64bit version, but for some reason the 32bit version wont "see" the internet. This is a slight problem for windows update and ActiveX. But I hardly use the internet on x64.
    Personally if your going to be using Win x64 as your main OS, id wait till 64bit is out and used fully in the market.
    Win XP Pro will still work great and has better support as well as drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sparky-s wrote:
    If you dont want a headache dont go with x64, unless you are using it for an app. that takes full advantage of x64 (like Adobe premiere 2.0)
    Im using X64 dual booted with XP pro.
    Thanks for the info Sparky-s. I went with XP home as I don't think I'll be doing any serious programming/database work on XP yet. I can run test it with XP home and then move to XP Pro or 64 if necessary. I'll use Half Life and Call Of Duty 2 as stress tests. :)
    Personally if your going to be using Win x64 as your main OS, id wait till 64bit is out and used fully in the market.
    Win XP Pro will still work great and has better support as well as drivers.
    Out of habit and experience, I don't use a Microsoft OS as my main OS. Some of it is due to the tools and databases being more Unix/Linux orientated. MS OSes seem to become stable enough about two years after release.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement