Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Piss off people - obey the speed limit

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

grizi wrote:
    IMHO there are people out there who believe that if the the rule says one thing, they're going to push it to the limit regardless. If only we had a country full of drivers with good judgement....or even some training.

Well its in the rules that you can only drive at the speed limit if driving conditions allow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

I feel an email to the county council coming on! :) I never saw those guidelines. Certainly the roads conform to those requirments.

Mind you I emailed them in the past about dangerous road markings that were causing accidents and was told the residents objected to the smell of buring them off.... Dont ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

grizi wrote:
    Even in Germany the dual carriageway is limited to 100.

Not so. Germany dual-carriageways are, in the absence of a posted speed limit, completely derestricted, just as Autobahnen are. In fact, even single-carriageways with two or more lanes per direction and a solid centre line are derestricted.

In practice, Germany "yellow Autobahnen" (as they call their motorway-standard non-motorways) will consist of a mixture of derestricted sections and sections with posted limits, according to conditions. This matches Autobahn practice. On Multi-lane single-carriageways I've never seen a derestricted stretch in real life, but I've seen a HQ stretch with 120 posted.

According to StVO §3 (3) 2. (c), the section that mandates a top speed of 100 for normal cars outside built-up areas:
    für Personenkraftwagen sowie für andere Kraftfahrzeuge mit einem zulässigen Gesamtgewicht bis 3,5 t. Diese Geschwindigkeitsbeschränkung gilt nicht auf Autobahnen (Zeichen 330) sowie auf anderen Straßen mit Fahrbahnen für eine Richtung, die durch Mittelstreifen oder sonstige bauliche Einrichtungen getrennt sind. Sie gilt ferner nicht auf Straßen, die mindestens zwei durch Fahrstreifenbegrenzung (Zeichen 295) oder durch Leitlinien (Zeichen 340) markierte Fahrstreifen für jede Richtung haben.

Dermot

Advertisement