Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Lighting

Options
  • 27-03-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

I am trying to sort out lighting for kitchen and need to get it right first time as its a vaulted ceiling with no beams or runners to hide cables later and no access to roof space

Its an open plan kitchen living room 5m x 11m. Will have island and kitchen table.
    Want to stay away from ceiling recessed if possible.

At the minute I have in the plan
    under cabinet lights
    2 ceiling outlets on kitchen side - track?
    1 outlet over kitchen table
    2 ceiling outlets over living area - track?
    3 lamp outlets in living area for table lamps

Other options

Uplighters over kitchen presses to highlight ceiling?
    Overhang lights on kitchen presses as work light instead of using track on top - just use tube for general light?
    anything else

Anybody any experience or know good lighting designers here?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Did something similar myself recently -

I put 3' standard fluorescent tubes along the tops of the presses (behind the cornice), illuminating the ceiling - this provides ample general light for the room as well.

I used the small under-press fluorescents to illuminate the work areas (the small diameter type from Woodies etc.., I think they were "LandLite") these have a high colour temp - i.e. very white light. Very pleased with them. I also replaced the incandescent in the extract fan hood with one of these (bit of a job but worth it!) because the light from it was yellow in comparison.

You could also stick an up-lighter in the centre of the island (buy a floor-standing halogen and mount the upright tube in the worktop)

Overall the effect is great - plenty of light and no visible fittings, however, make sure the ceiling finish is good as this type of lighting will highlight every flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I put a single spot light over the sink, with its own switch on the wall near the sink (not near water though)!
    Nothing worse than trying to wash pots in poor lighting.

Advertisement