Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Edging forward at the traffic lights

Options
  • 27-03-2006 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I've just noticed the phenomenon of slowly edging forward at traffic lights when you've got red. It seems to be getting really popular, especially with the mobile phone using drivers and taxi's.

Can someone who drives a car please explain this to me as I fail to see any advantage of doing it. It seems a bit pointless and extremely dangerous to the traffic that are using the junction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

it makes u look cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭roger 2006 yeah

hmmmm, maybe cause they're on the phone they haven't a break on so there balancing on the clutch?

as for taxis, they have to do it... he he

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

DO you mean edging onto onto the junction when the lights are red or just up to the line? To be honest, the thing that bothers me at lights is the number of people who decide "the lights are only red for a few seconds, I'll plough on, there won't be anything coming from the other side yet".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I drove in Belgium last year and there are a huge amount of traffic light junctions which have camera's pointing at them - so no-one breaks red! Class.... if only it was here aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have to laugh at this phenomenon myself, because sometimes they are so anxious to edge forward that they can't see the lights change to green :)

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

My girlfriend does this and it drives me NUTS
    She'll be the one paying for the replacement clutch, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

Probably automatics. I tend to do the same myself
    K-TRIC wrote:
    I've just noticed the phenomenon of slowly edging forward at traffic lights when you've got red. It seems to be getting really popular, especially with the mobile phone using drivers and taxi's.

Can someone who drives a car please explain this to me as I fail to see any advantage of doing it. It seems a bit pointless and extremely dangerous to the traffic that are using the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

As a cyclist this behaviour scares the hell out of me as I'm not sure if the driver will stop or if their foot will slip off the clutch and cream me.

Similar at T-junctions when I'm on the major road. Cars inching out as I approach. Scary.
    Please put the handbrake on and take the foot off the brake (so you're not blinding the driver behind you).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

K-TRIC wrote:
    Can someone who drives a car please explain this to me as I fail to see any advantage of doing it..

it makes the light turn green faster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

People do it when they see the lights for the oncoming traffic at a T junction go amber, so they can be ready to go as soon as the light for them turns green. I do it at signalled roundabouts but I never go over the line, I just make sure I'm ready to go sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

daymobrew wrote:
    Please put the handbrake on and take the foot off the brake (so you're not blinding the driver behind you).
    I agree to a certain extent - I always put my handbrake on, but if you're first at the lights and there is no one behind you - use both - a car approaching from behind might not realise that you are stationary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

I always assume that a car that does that is looking to cut me up and act accordingly - i.e. - with extreme caution. And normally I'm right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think the mentality is to get away faster, kind of like a flying lap!!!

On the other hand, do you know when you are behind someone at the lights, and they [the lights] turn green, and THEN they decide to engage a gear, let off the handbrake, and slowly pull away like we all have all the time in the world. It is the other extreem I know, but it kinda bugs me.

Why cant these people remain stationary, and when they see the cars coming from other directions slow down, or the pedestrian lights turn to red, then get ready to pull away in a good timely fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's better than sitting there unprepared when the lights turn green and It's a hell of a lot better than doing your hair/makeup in the rear view mirror.

My driving instructor always told me that if you are first or second at the lights that you should be waiting with the car in first and one hand on the handbrake. Also that you should be watching the other lights to go red so as to be ready when your own lights go green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

It happens with autos - if your foot pressure on the brake isnt enough the car drives forward.
    That said, ^^^^^ that excuse probably accounts for 3% of it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

commited wrote:
    I agree to a certain extent - I always put my handbrake on, but if you're first at the lights and there is no one behind you - use both - a car approaching from behind might not realise that you are stationary.
    Fair enough. I'll often press my brake pedal when the approaching car seems to be going quite fast. You can release the brakes when the car approaches.
    ballooba wrote:
    It's better than sitting there unprepared when the lights turn green
    You can be prepared, hand ready to release handbrake, feet on clutch and accelerator, ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

daymobrew wrote:
    You can be prepared, hand ready to release handbrake, feet on clutch and accelerator, ready to go.

And car in first gear of course ;)

Anyway, that's exactly what I meant.

As long as they don't cross the white line it shouldn't be a problem. I do it myself sometimes, when I'm late for work etc.

I do realise though that a lot of taxi driver's do cross the white line. my road seems to be a favourite for them to use this tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

I drive an auto and never creep forward at the lights. If you are in control of the car, and I hate to admit that there are a lot of drivers that are out there that are more passangers than drivers, then auto or mannual - the car should not creep like that unless you want it too - and I think most people do want to creep forward.
    I also think that everyone - be they first or last in a que of traffic at lights needs to be aware of the traffic lights. It is something I try to do at all times and my jaw has on occasion hit the floor when I move off at the lights and see the gap the opens up between me and the next car in line as the driver reluctanly pulls themselves back to this universe and gets ready to move off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

daymobrew wrote:
    Fair enough. I'll often press my brake pedal when the approaching car seems to be going quite fast. You can release the brakes when the car approaches.

God forbid the approaching driver would make the assumption that the light being red may mean the car he is rapidly approaching may be stationary. :rolleyes:

Am I the only person here fed up having to make allowances for idiot drivers? Well, you always need to make allowances but in Dublin it seems you really need a bit more.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I agree with yez about the nudging forward out into the road while lights are red - its especially unhelpful if there is a pedestrian crossing involved. They end up having people with kids having to walk around them and out onto the road!

Anyhoo, while we're on the topic of annoyances at the lights, its the guys who ever-so-slowly move forward once you stop behind them at a red light (keeping a good safe distance of course). Now I understand that no-one wants to be "shunted" in the event of an accident, but I am always careful to leave a good space. It sounds silly, but it gets under my skin! I make a point of keeping the (sensible) distance the same for however long I'm waiting at the lights! (Chill-pills at the ready!)

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

OP asked why ?

Suggestions ;

1. Incompetence in managing a car on the road.

2. Ignorance.

3. Selfishness.

4. Anxiety not to be last away on the grid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Well living in france,ive noticed how crazy some of them are as drivers! at roundabouts there are traffic lights coming off the roundabout (not sure why) but some of them are lethal..me as an innocent pedestrian has to be careful not to ge tthe feet run over :(;)

Advertisement