Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannon Ball Bike Run

• 27-03-2006 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Who would be interested in a "Cannon Ball Run" type ride out to Galway ?? Obviously keeping within the speed limits. Then have a bit of a party somewhere in the town

Any suggestions on organising this are very welcome.

Anyone up for this when the weather turns ?

K.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

count me in.. but gotta wait till the new bike comes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i wouldnt be opposed to this in the slightest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

We apologise for this feck-up

poster is going crazy....asdfbnsdkjbesfkjbsdfa sdf ag ad hsdfgh sdf ah aetjrf sdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

K-TRIC wrote:
    Who would be interested in a "Cannon Ball Run" type ride out to Galway ?? Obviously keeping within the speed limits. Then have a bit of a party somewhere in the town

Any suggestions on organising this are very welcome.

Anyone up for this when the weather turns ?

K.

I think this does sound like a good idea. I was going to post something along the lines my-self. There is a few things to keep in mind. Bikes will need to be able to do Motor way speeds. IE:120km/h for extended amounts of time. (redlining your bike to do it will be at your own risk)

Refuelling. Always fuel up just before the assigned meeting place. As close to it as you can. This way, you will get the most mileage out of the bike. But don’t worry. There is a least 1 patrol station every 10k (but normally closer to each other than that) along the way to galway. (except for the motorway where there is none, but that is something like 50k. So if you have a full tank when you get on, you should be grand)

Toll bridge, There is a toll bridge on the M4 now, so you will need monies at the ready for it. Its something like €1.30 for a bike (not to sure on this)

Food and rest stops, its a good idea to take at least 1 rest stop about half way there. Normally on a long journey I take it when I need to refuel. So its nice to get some food and something warm like a tea or an other hot drink into you. Its also best to stop in all at one go. Saves people speeding to try and catch up to the group.

Driving in a group. For those not used to it or new to it. Its best to keep a safe distance, do not drive directly behind (drive to the side of it if you get my meaning) the bike in front of you. So if he/she needs to stop fast, they don’t need to worry about you being to close and rear ending them. You will also find safety in numbers. groups of ten or so bikes are pretty good. Cars will give you breading room. They will also not try overtaking dangerously.

At the moment I am trying to get my-self sorted with a on bike comms system for the Rev-up for DSI, So if anyone else has got one. It be pretty handy for letting people know when refuelling is needed by someone.

Places to go and stay. I'm not from galway my-self so I really have no idea where is good. The only place I can remember from the last time I was there, is Cuba. It was ok. Best on the top floor as they had a prtty decent live band. Places to stay are going to need secure parking. If anyone knows of a cheapish hotel with its own carpark that would be the best bet for everyone. That way we can order x amount of rooms with two beds to save on cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

That sounds deadly. My sis had her bike nicked (bros 400) a couple a months ago but is hoping to get a new one soon.

Lived in Galway for a few years. Cuba's good. I'd suggest a pub crawl for the first night and then on the 2nd night hit the spots that were especially good. When I was there I used to drink in an rosin dubh, the GPO, foxes, fibber magees and another pub I can't remember the name of, it was off shop street, near java's (coffee shop) across the road from a night club that I never went to because it was full of posers...anyway the cool pub who's name I can't remember, it may have had a girls name in it, it may have included blue in the name anyway, it was deadly, it had a mural of the last supper, only it was jimi hendrix, jim morrison, kurt cobain and other mmusians, it was so cool.

As for places to stay, well theress heaps of hotels and hostels. I'd recomend a hotel rather than a hostel as you'll get a residents bar in a hotel. Can't remember any cheap ones. When ye have a date in mind and numbers, one person should ring a hotel and make a block booking of rooms, generally the rate is reduced when this is done.

Also don't plan on going down the end of August, that's when the Galway Races and oyster festival is on, its a fantastic time there and theress a great buzz in the city but it gets booked up fast and prices are hiked up almost double.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i assume it would be starting out from the pale :(

perhaps we could find a munster branch to make the journey from the south and meet ye there?

well as far as Im concerned, Dublin to galway is a bit of a big girls blouse spin:D So i`ll go south before goin to galway....;)

I think its more for the riding as a group and then going out on the lash in Galway that will be the fun part.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The Doktor wrote:
    well as far as Im concerned, Dublin to galway is a bit of a big girls blouse spin:D So i`ll go south before goin to galway....;)
    not for those of us on teh slightly smaller bikes....

Tree wrote:
    not for those of us on teh slightly smaller bikes....
    I`ll do it on me AS1 then :D

• Advertisement

that's fair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Don't think I've been in Galway before on the bike... Might spin down if theres a shower going and probaly come back up to Dublin same day though.

saobh_ie wrote:
    Don't think I've been in Galway before on the bike... Might spin down if theres a shower going and probaly come back up to Dublin same day though.

hehe if you have never done it... you more than likely wont want to drive back that day. It can reck you the first few drives. Even worse if your on a upright bike.

Advertisement