Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from FS discs.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

CuLT wrote:
    Actually it's not specifically aimed at mods, it's just that experienced users often happen to be mods.

A user from 2001-2003 with ~1000 posts will get the same treatment mod or not. Maybe 2004s seeing as it's now 2006 and all...

I'm just generalising here; if we think a user should have known better then we adjust our decisions accordingly. May the seven kings of the Internet bless our system of justice.
    Cult, I get the jist of what your saying here (and I actually understand why) , i just feel that you are getting into an area that is open to ambiguity.

Looking at the FS board (and fair play to you and all the guys who spend your time looking after it) ambiguity = greyness = flame = why me and not him. This ends up in you guys having to justify your actions, when you really should not have to.

Having said that, I am a big(ish) user of the board(s) and I have yet to be ripped off, accussed of ripping somebody off, banned and I appreciate the facility.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The ambiguity is there to limit the "falling through the cracks" syndrome if something looks dodgey or unfair but is "technically" within the rules, preventing us from doing something about it.

So in some cases we just use out better judgement; sometimes that judgement turns out to be not so better. At that point all hell breaks loose, so - contrary to a small percentage of users opinions - we try to avoid that.

Sometimes people just aren't happy with our justifications or logic; unfortunately for them (fortunately for the majority) they aren't the ones who's justification or logic matters in FS when it comes down to it, though we do consider all opinions within reason. (That's partly why the FS charter has been updated).

Sometimes it looks like no logic whatsoever has been employed and one of us was drunk at the keyboard and caused a pile-up... at that point we'll be chastised by an admin (presumably, I've never been quite that bad).

I think most boardsies would agree that I am a fair mod, occasionally veering a little into what they would consider going a bit too far or not far enough. That's exactly my goal, because it pretty much pleases "most of the people most of the time", which is the best that any mod can expect to do.

I'd also like to think that they hold some sort of worshipful reverence for Blade, because he is all kinds of awesome.

And Lemming, who moderates the Shop Category is another FS Mod (cat mods can choose their level of involvement) - certianly myself and Blade alone wouldn't be able to handle the sheer volume of data throughput that occurs on FS on a daily basis.

It's just impossible to cover absolutely everything in a charter that is considered of readable length. In it's current form the charter is readable on three levels:

skim - get the general idea of the rules as defined by the thirteen general rules

average - knows the rules, the intricacies and the suggestions. What to post and what not to post.

reference - there is a large list of disallowed items, all you have to do is go to the charter page, hit Ctrl+F and type in the item you're selling to see if it's ok.

To go beyond this into the realm of making it similar to the book of statutes is to effectively cut people off from reading the charter and stops us from quickly reacting to an unforseen problem.
    Remember, our goal here is to serve the community, which is why we're so different from eBay or any other selling area you will come across online.

FS is more like your local christmas fete than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

daveg, having batted things about with both CuLT & Blade, your ban is to be lifted effective immediately (I meant to write this a couple of days ago .. but work being work ... so the ban duration is pretty much up now anyway). We've still not reached a definitive conclusion regarding quoting shop prices that cannot be backed uip.

I will not apologise for the ban itself since you did actually violate the charter, however I will do for the length of the ban. Full-moon, time of the month, bad day, insert notion of choice.

THis has highlighted a very grey area with the FS-Charter, so for the moment I would recommend that anybody wanting to quote a shop price do the following (until we make a firm ruling on it):

Shop Name
    Sale price?
    Phone number for shop in question (if possible - use Golden Pages)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There was less agonising and posturing over the Magna Carta - incidentally, since 1215 AD the Magna Carta was the charter, that is until the FS - Charter was penned in more recent times.

* Edit to pander to Hagar's nit-picking over a mere 2430 years......!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

1215 BC - Don't you mean AD?:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hagar = anal :D

Beruthiel wrote:
    Hagar = anal :D

Christ you could have said pedantic.
    Do you know how many dodgy PM's I've had in the last 5 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Hagar wrote:
    Christ you could have said pedantic.

We could have had something very special!

"Yipee-i-o KY" - Brokeback Mountain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Hagar wrote:

hey
    Beruthiels dating service, helping the desperate since 2002....

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Raiser wrote:
    * Edit to pander to Hagar's nit-picking over a mere 2430 years......!!!
    Surely you mean 2429 years? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Lemming wrote:
    daveg, having batted things about with both CuLT & Blade, your ban is to be lifted effective immediately (I meant to write this a couple of days ago .. but work being work ... so the ban duration is pretty much up now anyway). We've still not reached a definitive conclusion regarding quoting shop prices that cannot be backed uip.

I will not apologise for the ban itself since you did actually violate the charter, however I will do for the length of the ban. Full-moon, time of the month, bad day, insert notion of choice.

THis has highlighted a very grey area with the FS-Charter, so for the moment I would recommend that anybody wanting to quote a shop price do the following (until we make a firm ruling on it):

Shop Name
    Sale price?
    Phone number for shop in question (if possible - use Golden Pages)

Thanks. I appreciate that. Perhaps it has raised 2 issues which need to be looked at. The whole "bricks and morter shop prices" grey are thingy, and also should a mod be treated any differently, either favourably or unfavourably than anyone else. My personal feeling is that a mod should be treated no differently than any other boards user.

daveg wrote:
    Thanks. I appreciate that. Perhaps it has raised 2 issues which need to be looked at. The whole "bricks and morter shop prices" grey are thingy, and also should a mod be treated any differently, either favourably or unfavourably than anyone else. My personal feeling is that a mod should be treated no differently than any other boards user.

I don't think the second issue stands DaveG. Had you not been a mod, but still had your post-count, I'd have dished out a fairly similar ban, looking back on my decision at the time. Your mod status only made my decision making process at the time a more open-and-shut case.

But anyway ... move along folks, nothign to see here .... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Now, I'm trying to be open-minded about this - but can I please get some confirmation that DaveG wasn't given some "hush-hush" money to forget about all of this ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51132094#post51132094

oh noes!!!!11111!!!!eleventyone!!!111

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ..... :rolleyes:

Advertisement