Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nearly new S2000 price

Options
  • 27-03-2006 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

How much do you reckon a 6month old 06 plate Honda S2000 would sell for later this year.

Alternatively how much would you pay for an 06 6 month old S2000, given that they are 61k new on the honda.ie website

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

55-57k? they do go for silly money, the same reason the nsx didn't really sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Reason I ask is that I have the opportunity to pick up a brand spanking new silver 06 S2000 in Glasgow, where I am living till the end of May for £22k Sterling, which is 32k in euro. Aparently according to the VRT website there is about 16.5k VRT due on the car, giving the cost of purchase to about 49k euro, 12k less than Ireland

If I could flog it in the autumn for over the 50k mark, then I would be happy. Does anyone think I could find a buyer at that sort of price?

Also, another question is will I be liable for VAT when I bring it to Ireland?

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

you have to live some where in the EU for 6 months and then keep it in ireland for 12 months after you come back so it would be 18 months old

Coyote

you have to live some where in the EU for 6 months and then keep it in ireland for 12 months after you come back so it would be 18 months old

Huh, I'm planning on paying the VRT when it gets into Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

You couldn't get round VRT when you come back as you have to be able to prove you owned the car whilst living and working in the UK for 6 months, but wouldn't have to pay VAT as you bought it in the EU. You can flog it when you get back, though, you don't have to keep it once you've paid the VRT, the 12 month rule is only if you avoid the VRT

• Advertisement

Gatster wrote:
    You couldn't get round VRT when you come back as you have to be able to prove you owned the car whilst living and working in the UK for 6 months, but wouldn't have to pay VAT as you bought it in the EU. You can flog it when you get back, though, you don't have to keep it once you've paid the VRT, the 12 month rule is only if you avoid the VRT

Actaully, I plan on bringing back two cars, one that I have legitimately owned and driven in the UK since last autumn (Lexus GS300). I'll be able to bring it in without VRT no bother.

But I have always wanted an S2000 and since its too late to own one for 6 months i'll have to pay VRT and I suspect I am not allowed to bring in two cars (sans VRT). So with that in mind, I am trying to find out if it is a good deal when I go to sell it later in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

There is a sticky on importing that answers your importing questions, but once its over 6 months old you will not have to pay VAT, VRT yes.

Be sure to keep some sort of receipt for the ferry back with the car reg no on it if possible, just to prove you only just brought it in, otherwise they may get sticky about VAT.

RobAMerc wrote:
    There is a sticky on importing that answers your importing questions, but once its over 6 months old you will not have to pay VAT, VRT yes.

Be sure to keep some sort of receipt for the ferry back with the car reg no on it if possible, just to prove you only just brought it in, otherwise they may get sticky about VAT.

Ah, yes Missed the 6 month rule as quoted on revenue.ie

When is VAT chargeable and payable?

In the case of a new means of transport i.e. land vehicles (excluding agricultural tractors) that were supplied six months or less after the date of first entry into service or have travelled 6,000 Kilometres or less, VAT is chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State, even where there is evidence, e.g. an invoice, that VAT was paid in the country of purchase.

VAT is also chargeable and normally payable at the time of registration in the State of vehicles (both new and used) that are imported from outside the fiscal territory of the EU.

However how can this be legal in the EU Common Market??

Another question,

If you buy a brand new unregestered car in the EU and import it to Ireland making Ireland the first point of registration are you liable for the VAT since it has been paid in the foreign country?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Mayshine wrote:
    Another question,

If you buy a brand new unregestered car in the EU and import it to Ireland making Ireland the first point of registration are you liable for the VAT since it has been paid in the foreign country?

Cheers

You will be liable for VAT, however, if you purchase a car abroad for export, they will sell it to you for a price that excludes VAT in that country.

For example, if you are to buy a car in the UK that is less than three months old, they will sell it to you minus 18.5%. You will of course be liable for VAT in Ireland at 21%.

• Advertisement

Cheers all,

It seems like I am fooked, I want to run the car on UK plates for about 3 months (in the UK) and then bring it in, seems like it cannot be done

Oh well, cest la vie

DW

Advertisement