Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Fishing Kits - advice

Options
  • 27-03-2006 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting my Nephew (8) one of the Lidl kits for canal and perhaps lakeshore in Leitrim / Roscommon, http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060330.index
    I know they are not going to be great but they are cheap so are they of reasonable quality – I don’t want something that will be poor quality and put him off fishing but at the same time I don’t want to spend too much at this stage.

Has anyone got one of these from last time they were on offer – if so is it ok and which set would you advise.
    Also anyone what the sharkfin reel is like – is it worth picking up as a spare for myself?

I know these are not going to be great but are they worth the money.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Hi Alan,
    I bought quite a bit of this gear last time it was out. I bought the spinning rod/reel kit as a cheapo kit to keep in the back of the car if I find time to spare alongside a waterway. I have given it some use and have no complaints at all. True, dont expect to break world casting records but this kit is cheap and cheerful and worth picking up. Theis packs/boxes of spinners are worthwhile as most of them are suitable for pike, perch and trout.

On the downside, I do not recommend the fly-fishing kit as the line and rod are not very well balanced hence making for poor casting.

All in all the Lidl gear is well worth speculating on and will serve a little person or adult perfectly well.
    Tight Lines!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

ill be getting myself a tackle box and another few bits and bobs myself, they do have some nifty little saisl on it has to be said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

The main problem with the lidl kits will most likely be the reels, leading to lots of tangles, cheap reels tend to have crap line lay. Fine for a bit of tiddler bashing tho i should think, wouldn't be up to much else. The fly fishing kit is the most expensive, so if its poor don't expect much from the cheaper coarse fishing gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

Don't forget a wire trace is ESSENTIAL for pike and perch fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Cheers guys,
    Had a look this morning and there was nothing of great value except the 15.99 telescopic rod which will be perfect for a kid starting out. Other than that the gear wasn’t up to much even at the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

Hi guys.

I got hold of some stuff the last time they had it in store, and it has done the job admirably. I got a pair of chest waders for launching my boat, and they have been fantastic. I also got a fly fishing waistcoat that I would say is comparable to those in tackle shops at 3 times the price. I also got a fish finder/depth finder, and although it is ****e for locating fish, the depth guide is extremely accurate, and therefore great for finding those drop offs when in the boat.

Other than those three bits, I had a look at the other tackle they were offering and found it to be of questionable quality. OK for limited use, but don't expect it to last long.

The new stuff seems to be of much better quality, and I would say that it would be much more suited to fishing in Ireland, and not Europe.

Cheers

Matt
    aka
    DTR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

They are doing sea gear in lidl from 17 Apr

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060417.index

Murt

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Murt10 wrote:
    They are doing sea gear in lidl from 17 Apr

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060417.index

Murt
    Are these sea fishing kits worth getting? In my case it would only be for vary occasional use in Howth etc. Which rod would be most suitable and is the reel they sell separate worth getting?

Sorry for all the questions, it's been years since I fished but given that this gear is so cheap it might get me back into it......gradually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Yep the gear is worth getting if you're going to use it to get back into the sport because you'll get up and running for next to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Big bump seeing as Lidl are selling this stuff again on Saturday - http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090509.index

Bearing in mind I'm completely new to fishing, what would you guys recommend if I were to buy one of these kits? I'd be hoping to catch mackerel from my local pier, nothing too fancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Argos have a Beginner Sea/Beach Fishing Set for €34.79 which will get you going.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

cornbb wrote: »
    I'd be hoping to catch mackerel from my local pier

It'll do for that ok. If the macks are in then they'll take anything. Don't expect to get more than one season out of it though, you get's what you pays for!

Advertisement