Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do you use an automatic car?

Options
  • 27-03-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I have the lend of a 06 BMW 525i on tuesday evening from my uncle.

I have driven everything that has a manual gearbox, but nto an automatic.

P - Park - when do you use this
    D - Drive - well i get this one.
    N - Neutral - no bother

Is there anything else.

Man am excited, I drive a 99 Opel Astra so am going to enjoy this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Just forget about your left leg.

Pretend it doesnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

P - Park - when do you use this

Strangly enough when you park the car and don't plan on moving for a while :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Except for high speed bends , just tap the brake with your left leg, let the car squat down, and it will be great...;) .
    Really though, my car has 1-2-d-n-r-p.
    Most of the time i just drive it in D, but this has 2 settings, a 3 speed one, and a 4 speed one by using the O/D button. Sometimes though i go throught he gears, 1-2-O/D off D- O/D on D.... and back down the gears by doing the same, that way i get a little bit of engine braking.
    One thing to be aware of is the lack of engine braking in an auto.
    Oh and dont hold the brake at the lights with your right foot flat to the floor to get a launch, as you will defo cook the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

It's the same as driving a golf buggy. Just tie your left leg to the handbrake. If you foget you don't have a clutch you can brake very drastically.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thing that confuses alot of people who drive Autos for the first time is a hill start.

If you are stopped temporarily on a hill, just slow down and stop using the brake pedal (funnily enough). The leave the car in 'D' and keep your foot on the brake. When you are ready to drive off, just lift off the brake (the car will not roll back), and drive away again.

If you are stopping for a while, stop, apply handbrake and put gearshift into 'P' (or 'N'). When ready to go, apply the foot brake, put gearshift into 'D' and release handbrake, proceed as above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Cheers guys should be fun. I dont think ill ever get to owe one so driving it will be pleasure enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume it has tiptronic (or whatever its called) where you can knock the gearstick to the left and then use forward or backward shifts to go up/down a gear.
    I had my father in laws E60 520i out a week ago and it took a while to get used to having a redundant left leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I think the most important thing to remember in an auto is that it will "creep" when in gear !

That is you put you foot on the brake pull the lever into D or R and once you let go of the brake it WILL move off ! So whilst parking never fully remove your foot from the brake, just feather it on and off 'till you are used to it !

Also as you got to move off it is not like a manual where you have to rev it a bit before you let out the clutch to avoid stalling. If you give it any throttle it will go immediately !

Enjoy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Kersh wrote:
    let thew cat squat down
    That'd be funny if it didn't take all of five seconds to review a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭jdc78

Remember, when it is in P-Park, you must put your foot on the brake to change it into Reverse or Drive. So many people get caught out by this and can't figure out how come the gear shift won't get out of PARK. Also, try not to move from one Drive gear to the other - i.e. Drive to D1, D2, etc. while moving... I dropped a transmission doing this once... idiot I was but only 19 at the time - that's my excuse! Just keep it in D and you'll be fine... the other Drive gears are either for steep hills, sometimes high speed driving or if you're towing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

@ Ken - its Monday... :D:p

ps its fixed...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Never understood the 1 and 2, anyone care to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

The toughest thing is to avoid mistakenly slamming on the brake pedal, mistaking it for a clutch pedal, when coming up to a junction. Just take it easy and you will be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

Gerry wrote:
    The toughest thing is to avoid mistakenly slamming on the brake pedal, mistaking it for a clutch pedal, when coming up to a junction. Just take it easy and you will be alright.

A good trick is to keep your left leg behind your right, that way you won't reach for the "clutch"

Thanks lads.

I was wondering about the Park I thought that there was a catch to it.

Am not sure what gears there is to select (D1, D2 etc)

Ill just leave it in the first one and see how it goes.

Personally I dont like automatics but then again I have never driven one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Just put it in D, and leave it in D. Don't go shifting through the gears. Gears 1 and 2 are for increased engine braking on long downhill stretches, or for keeping it from changing to top on a hill on a hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

1 & 2 is also used if towing. There could be a tendancy for the car to keep changing up and down gears if the load is heavy. Put it into 1 & 2 to hold the gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Is there anything else i should know.

You have to press the button on the lever to change the settings R-D-N etc yeah.

You put your foot on the brake pedal when your changing from say R to D etc.

Theres no engine brake ok - am normally use the engine brake rather than the brake on some corners.

It will creep forward in D, if say i come to traffic lights ok, the car is in D i just brake as normal stop and then put up the handbrake and take my foot of the brake pedal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Thats about it !

You may have to have the car back in "P" to take the ignition key out, and obviously it needs to be in "P" or "N" to start the engine !

And one other obvious thing, make sure the RPM's are at idle before you select any gear !

This whole thread makes it all sound more complicated than it is !

In real terms you just get in and go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The car is an 06. I'm sure it still has a user's handbook. Read it. There are probably features that we don't know about.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

I'm sure that the car you will be driving and mine will be completly different but for my car - '93 Prelude, 2.2 auto - I would normally just select the highest gear, D4 in my case, and off I go.
    This allows the car to use all the gears available to it when it feels it needs them and lets me not think about gears - hence the auto!
    The only times I don't are if I am going down steep twisty roads I put the car in D2 which will only allow the car to select 1st or second gear for engine braking reasons or sports mode when I am in twisty turny back roads which as I understand it, stops the car from going into fourth and lengthens the rev range for the three lower gears to give better acceleration down low (well open to correction on that one by the way)!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This post has been deleted.
    I have an opposite tale!
    I can remember a few years back collecting my sister and her husband from the airport (they live in USA) and they had to collect a car from behind the Coachmans Inn. Although he swears he could drive 'stick', I was embarrased in the car park as the staff looked out the window at the crunching noises.
    I decided to follow them to my folks in Clontarf (after a few minutes beside in the nearby ulster bank car park).
    As we went down the slip road onto the M1 I saw two reverse lights coming on in front of me. Scared the bejaysus outta me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭jdc78

These threads are making automatic out to be confusing and difficult when it is simple.

P= Park
    R= Reverse
    N= Neutral
    D= Drive

When you park the car you put the gear shift into P
    When you want to reverse you put the gear shift into R
    When you want to go forward put the gear shift into D

If you want to stop, press the foot brake
    If you want to stay stopped, keep the foot brake pressed
    If you want to go after stopping, release your foot from the brake

No need for handbrake use except when on a hill or parking. If you want to park, put it in P. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

Except not all cars just have a "D".
    Some have D1, D2, D3, and even a D4. For most conditions before moving off just select the highest gear option available and then relax - au, autos are bliss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kluivert wrote:
    Is there anything else i should know.

You have to press the button on the lever to change the settings R-D-N etc yeah.
    Pretty much. There may be a gap in the quadrant (the bit the button engages on) between 3 and D, so you can just move the selector between the two gears without pressing the button. This is to allow you drop a gear quickly for overtaking, etc. The ZF boxes I know have this feature, don't know about others.
    kluivert wrote:
    You put your foot on the brake pedal when your changing from say R to D etc.
    Bring the vehicle to a complete stop before shifting between D and R, or into P. Or at least lock up all the wheels :D
    Modern electronically controlled autoboxes shouldn't allow you to do dumb things (like shifting into reverse while moving forward), but I like to err on the safe side.
    kluivert wrote:
    Theres no engine brake ok - am normally use the engine brake rather than the brake on some corners.
    There is some engine braking, just not what you'd be used to with a manual box. Kind of like the difference between a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke motorbike, if you've ever come across that.
    kluivert wrote:
    It will creep forward in D, if say i come to traffic lights ok, the car is in D i just brake as normal stop and then put up the handbrake and take my foot of the brake pedal?
    Just hold it on the brakes, unless you plan to stop for a significant amount of time, in which case you can put it into N (and apply the handbrake) or P.
    You can hold it on the foot brake forever if you like, you won't hurt it, but your brake lights may give rise to palpitations in the car behind you. Your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My Mitsubishi Mirage is an Auto and I wouldn't ever have a manual - it has P R N D 3 2 1.... (gears for every occasion :D)

For the most part I just leave it in D but then I do a lot of driving on the N3 which is a straight run for the most part. Just remember that it will creep when in gear (moreso if the engine is at higher revs - eg: if you have the heater/aircon on!) and you'll be fine, and that you need to hold in the brake/button to take it in/out of P(ark) or into R(everse).

(I think that's right :D - it's actually hard when you're thinking about it rather than just doing it).

Side note: I tend to automatically (no pun intended ;)) put it in N at lights with the handbrake/footbrake on. If I put it in D, I can feel it "bear down" as it tries to move off, and I prefer that little extra bit of control over it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have had autos for the last 6 years and I would not go back to a manual now. If I stop at traffic lights I generally put the lever into P to ensure that the engine is not labouring against the brakes. It enables you to take your feet off the pedals and thereby not dazzle the driver behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

MercMad wrote:
    Thats about it !

You may have to have the car back in "P" to take the ignition key out, and obviously it needs to be in "P" or "N" to start the engine !

Reading through this thread I was about to post that very point. I remember years ago my boss getting a lend of a Jeep Cherokee from Rathdown and sitting in the car park of the job for a full half hour trying to figure out why the key wouldn't come out. Eventually he rang them!

My auto Beemer only has P R N D in the normal plane. I put it in D and forget about it normally, use the brakes to hold it at lights etc.

You have to use the kickdown at least once while you have it. When it feels like the accelerator is all the way down press it further, you're pressing a switch under the pedal to force the box to give you the lowest gear that won't over-rev the engine for max acceleration. There's maybe half a second of hesitation while it changes then.....weeeeeeehaaaaaa!

You'll mostly just enjoy the silky smoothness of wafting around trying to find ways to occupy your left hand (without getting into trouble).

You will, at some point, nudge the lever to the left to try out the sport mode and then up and down to change "manually". Then you'll realise that goes against the whole point of driving an auto and you'll leave it in D again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don't worry about D1 D2 and all that, just put it into D and enjoy, Automatics are so good!

Advertisement