Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do you use an automatic car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I remember my first short drive in an Auto. I must have been....dunno, 16± a few, going down the road on a "Grey Ferguson" and some tourist had parked an auto Rover 3500 (or something of that ilk I think) out on the road.. thus blocking it, but had been considerate enough to leave the keys in it.
    So, I moved it about 10 feet in Rev. without incident and carried on with my "Fergie"

Next memorable encounter with an auto was when I was in the US for the first time ever, I rented a manual for myself, however someone in the workgroup asked me to convey their car (some sort of an Opel) for them, sure no problem..except I forgot about the auto bit and changed gears at about 50mph. Locked up the rear wheels in an instant on the highway.... other than a flatspot on the tyres, and an "Oh Sheet" moment, no permanent damage that I could determine.

Fortunately with modern ones, you can shift the lever from D to R, or R to D, but the gears won't change until safe to do so.

I did rent a RHD, Auto in ROI once, but found my left hand is not tuned to shifting Autos, unlike my right hand. Once in a RHD the Left hand wants to change that shifter, whether it is required or not.

Engine braking on an auto; depends on the box, most newer AT have locking torque converters, saves fuel, but can also be employed to provide engine braking. Some of the heavier trucks, Ford 250/350 and Chevvy have "Trailer Tow" settings where this can be selected which will engage engine braking, as well as downshifting, should the load be pushing you downhill.

Some require you to press the brake to shift out of P and be in park to get the key out. and be in P or N to start off the key. or some combinations, depending on year and vehicle.

Some AT will readout the actual gear the AT is in at the time, eg you put it in D, and the dash readout will read off, 1,2,3,4,5 as that gear is selected. (easy to do with an electro-hydraulic box).

When to use 3,2 or L, other than D. When hill climbing and/or towing. In snow and L if your electro-hydraulic suddenly becomes ?-hydraulic due to a blown fuse, ECU, etc
    N if you want to tow it on its wheels, eg towing the Samuri behind the Camper.

Autos can be a life saver if you happen to brake an ankle, or two.

Remember, you can use your right, left or both feet on the brake. Enjoy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Am I the only one who thinks that giving driving lessons over the Internet is a bit mad? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Hey whats new. With Gay Byrne looking after the road safety we have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

kluivert wrote:
    Hey whats new. With Gay Byrne looking after the road safety we have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

Frankly, I cannot see him do any worse than all those who went before him....

Ok so i took the 06 525d for a drive last night.

Wow great drive and lots of power under the hood compared to 99 1.4 Astra.

I really enjoyed the car, very comfortable, felt very safe in the car, i can see why they are so popular. Lots of gadgets but didnt have time to play with them. Big air of quality about the car.

As for the automatic, that was an experience and thanks for all the advice, it paid of very well guys.

The automatic was very sweet, first time driving one and its a big difference to manual, you can focus more on driving the car than looking after the mechanics of the transmission.

When I got back into my own car it actually took a minute or two to adjust back again, drive auto is very easy indeed and very easy to get use to. But i think it would drive me mad if there was an auto in a 1.4. What made it a pleasure to drive was the power of the car.

Now the final verdict on this car is that its a wonderful car, but I wouldn't buy one. 65-70k for this car is incredable as the car, but after driving a new Vectra as well last month I would rather buy the Vectra and keep the other 30k for a holiday or something else.

Again thanks for the advice on driving automatic, it use goes to show that it is possible to give lessons over the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would rather buy the Vectra and keep the other 30k for a holiday or something else.

............:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    My Mitsubishi Mirage is an Auto and I wouldn't ever have a manual - it has P R N D 3 2 1.... (gears for every occasion :D)

Pity they didnt put an engine in with all those gears. Seen a lawnmower pass you this morning
    Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Side note: I tend to automatically (no pun intended ;)) put it in N at lights with the handbrake/footbrake on. If I put it in D, I can feel it "bear down" as it tries to move off, and I prefer that little extra bit of control over it personally.

Best one on this thread yet, Kaiser in control of a car :p watch out for that railing!!! :p

MercMad wrote:
    ............:rolleyes:

It was nice to drive, comfort, good performance but it couldn't say to me that parting with 70k was going to be a wise decision.

Am sorry but I was expecting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

No car is worth €70k especially in this country when you have to earn €140k in the first place and the car really should cost €40k !

But hey at least we have green fields !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kluivert wrote:
    Am sorry but I was expecting more.

I have found that problem with every BMW I have ever driven!

But MercMad makes a good point also.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    I have found that problem with every BMW I have ever driven!

But MercMad makes a good point also.

It was really nice to get the opportunity to drive one especially a new one with 1.5k km on the clock. 5.25D monster. But something was missing.

But the wow factor wasnt there. Really IMO its a badge thing.

I always said that I wouldnt be one to buy a Merc or BMW and then I was swaying towards the idea, but now after driving one for the first time, I can firmly say that I am not a fan.

Now I have driven the new MX-5 2L and I really enjoyed that. That had the wow factor, again its down to personal choice and what the indivdual is looking for. A Roadster might not suit everyone.

Advertisement