Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Cat pissing in my kitchen

Options
  • 27-03-2006 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

I have 2 male cats who are neutered, and about 3 yrs old. We have a cat-flap fitted in the extension at the back of the house for them to come in and out - simple concept, and it works fine.

The neighbours cat is about 18 months old, female, and not spayed. She keeps coming in at night and pissing in the kitchen - beside the bins, or in any corner.

Strange things is, both of my cats seem to be afraid of her - which is odd, because they are quite big, and usually fight with other neighbour's cats without a bother. The stench is horrible, and I can't understand why my cats are afraid of her either! Whenever I see her in the garden and I run out, she just sits there - I even try to shoo her with my foot or a stick and she just snarls but doesn't budge an inch. She's fearless! Only throwing water at her gets rid of her. When I pick her up, she snarls but won't attack me.

Basically - what should I do to stop her pissing in my house?
    I can't get an electric catflap, because my cats don't and won't wear collars (and never have). I'd also be afraid of a collar catching on a bush and my more 'adventurous' cat hanging himself. I did try those "snap-away" collars with a cat I had years ago, but he just kept taking it off and losing it!
    Should I talk to my neighbour about getting her spayed? Would that even help?

Suggestions?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

If your neighbours cat is 18months old and unspayed she is now PREGNANT.
    So I would talk very strongly to your neighbours in a "kind caring neighbourly way:D About getting her spayed ASAP. Info here www.kittenadoption.ie You may get more than you bargained for in a few weeks/days time as the kittens and mothers are pouring into shelters.

Make them aware off what she is doing, they may be oblivious to the fact. Ask them to either keep her in. The problem now is it sounds she is a dominant female (Spaying may help) And she knows that food is available in your house and your cats pose no threat to her. The peeing is scent marking and female cats DO SPRAY and it can smell worse than any tom.
    Keeping your guys in may be an option and closing the cat flap...It takes 6 weeks to re programme a cats behavior so it may take her a while to realise she can't get in.

Washing the place down does little as the cat comes back to compete..Where has my scent gone...Take that...Or what is covering my scent..Take that and the cycle continues.

This has to come back to her owner taking responsibility for her. If food is the drive they should ensure that she has food...Perhaps the same as you are feeding your lot on demand in her own property.

Good luck Claire X

Advertisement