Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie login and Apple OSX keychain

Options
  • 27-03-2006 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I use both PC and Mac browsers to login to boards.ie
    On the Mac, OSX 10.4 /Tiger , I like to use the keychain facility which basically is a safe store for username/password combos. A dialog is normally provoked when you fill out a username/password field on a form for the first time.
    I typically use Camino browser (from Mozilla) or Apple's own Safari browser.
    For many other sites the keychain dialog simply pops up and gives me the option of storing the password I have typed to the keychain. The browsers have the smarts for doing autofill any time I revisit those sites assuming I have logged in to OSX (you can make it even more secure by making the keychain access locked by a password different to your login password).

I've noticed the same thing with mail.yahoo.com. Basically the keychain dialog never pops up when I attempt to authenticate to it.

Now I know boards.ie (and yahoo mail for that matter) have cookie mechanism where I can have the password remembered on my computer so long as I haven't dumped my cookie store in the browser. However, the keychain utility is a nicer and more secure way of persisting passwords and making logging into web apps and sites much more convenient.

Any comments from admins as to why boards.ie doesn't work with the OSX keychain util ?

~ipl

Advertisement