Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heuston Station Barrel o' Fish...

Options
  • 27-03-2006 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Yet again yesterday another friend of mine got done for speeding at Heuston Station... 2 points sir. Myself included have acquired deux points while driving this stretch....

Just wondering how many people here have been done aswell - it gets my goat how those cops (yea yea... I know ...they're only doing their job) feel the need to police such a road when there are many other dangerous locations around the city... Quotas must be down again.

Awaiting lashback.... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Although I do sympathise with you, and your friend, I must make a point (no pun intended).

I think the percentage of 'fish-in-barrel' checks is way to high. The gardai need to balance these better against checks on fast backroads.

However:

If any friend of mine was caught speeding on a particular road, which has a reputation for having speed checks, I would make a point of never breaking the limit on that road, and the Gardai have acheived their goal of slowing cars down (probably inadvertantly). So, your friend has no-one to blame except him/herself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Yes, I totally accept that we broke the law - and I am not arguing that at all - it is more the point that the gardai seem to choose the 'handy' locations to catch people - take for instance the stretch of N7 from the Red Cow to the Long Mile road - 50km/h for a 3 lane road with (quick frequently) a nice speed gun awaiting you at the end of it...

I also have a friend who is a motorcycle garda who once told me his 'favourite' locations... so obviously the mentality exists...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Drax wrote:
    I also have a friend who is a motorcycle garda who once told me his 'favourite' locations... so obviously the mentality exists...

Oh it certainly does, and there is no arguing that point.
    It is a pity, a few simple and cheap measures could make such a difference on roads in terms of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Drax wrote:
    take for instance the stretch of N4 from the Red Cow to the Long Mile road - 50km/h for a 3 lane road with (quick frequently) a nice speed gun awaiting you at the end of it...
    Just to be pendantic that's the N7 - but your point is a fair one.....

BTW Given "we all know" they police these major routes out of the city regularly what is it that makes people still speed in these locations? I know there are always people who don't know that this is the case, but a there seems to be more to it than that.....

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

To be fair, I was driving up that stretch myself on Friday, and there was a lot going on in traffic. Next thing i saw the van parked there, and I looked down and was luckily under the limit. I was driving carefully and paying attention to what i was doing, but being under 50kph wasn't top priority to be honest. I just thought 'the fookers' at the time.. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As long as people continue to speed on that stretch of road, they will continue to enforce limits with fines and points. Simple as that.

I cannot understand anybody who goes over 50kph there, it has got to be the most famous speed trap in the entire city, if not the country.

If you don't like the speed limit on that road, petition the council to increase it to 60 or 80kph.

If they say no, then it's tough, elect people who will change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Guards are always at Heuston, I think they can justify being there, as a lot of drivers fly down there, and there are often pedestrians crossing from the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I wrote this post this morning and on my way home I witnessed exactly the kind of thing I am ranting about... I came off the M1 at the airport exit and in between the long curve off the M1 and the airport roundabout was a nice little man wearing a hi-viz vest staring into some kind of primitive device on a tripod. I crawled up that 3 lane stretch at a miserable 60km/h. I would also like to point out that these guards were actually sitting halfway in the leftmost lane, causing traffic to bottleneck into 2 lanes. A van was pulled over as I passed.

Can someone please explain to me what feckin use a speed trap in this location is... besides filling the coffers with a few bob. The airport roundabout is a signal controlled junction so drivers will slow down for the lights. Whats the maximum speed someone if going to do on this stretch, with merging lanes from the adjacent flyover. Obviously a clear case of upping the numbers...! I should have pulled over and asked them what the story was.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Drax wrote:
    Yet again yesterday another friend of mine got done for speeding at Heuston Station... 2 points sir. Myself included have acquired deux points while driving this stretch....

Just wondering how many people here have been done aswell - it gets my goat how those cops (yea yea... I know ...they're only doing their job) feel the need to police such a road when there are many other dangerous locations around the city... Quotas must be down again.

What speed were you travelling and in what speed zone.i really hate when you get done for going over it a little bit as on some main roads the speed limit is 60kph, and its like you are driving like a granny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Drax wrote:

They were outside Guinness Brewery most of the morning (sunday), up until 2pm shift change.

They've also started to frequent the N4 just before the newcastle crossroads once again. You could argue that this is because of the works for the upgrade, but they were on the westbound lucan side and not the eastbound woodies side :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

seen em on the new N2 just of M 50 at finglas 4 times in last 2 weeks. And 2 of those times was sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Yep, saw them on the M50 around sandyford on saturday.

'Thats a really dangerous spot' where there are loads of accidents and no easy targets at all.

Just reaffirming its a speeding tax not a speeding fine!

At least if you got mugged walking you could give the bas&ard a black eye and feel good about it before he ran off with your money :)

If there are two extra cops on the beat in Dublin this year, they are there to increase revenue !

If you want to speed, go down the country, you can do 100kmph on back roads no wider than your car, you are going far too fast for the conditions and you're at no danger of being prosecuted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭swearne

Yeah I got caught coming up the st johns road beside heuston station the other week, no ticket yet but was about 10kms over limit, should be in the post soon. I can't wait!

I got my points from 3 years ago erased last week. I've been a good boy and not got caught speeding in 3 years! before the penalty points I'd get caught every 6 months or so. Points work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Have to agree with all the spleen venting here.

If the cops want to convince me that these speed checks are in the name of road safety they will have to start standing out in the rain at night with their speed guns, when speeding (as in a few kph over the limit) actually is dangerous. Not hiding behind bus stops on straight roads on dry sunny days with visibility of two miles or more.

Come to think of it, does their equipment even work at night? Apart from the Gatsos.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

hang on here folks, it's not up to the Gardai to decide where or what is safe. It's only up to them to enforce the law.

It's up to the people who implement the speed limits to decide where is safe for what speed. If you don't agree with them, unelect them!

Speed limits are very clearly marked all over the place. If you don't want to get a fine, or get points, there is a very simple way of doing it, no matter where or when the Gardai set up checkpoints... stay at or below the posted limit.

If you go over the limit, you have no justification in ranting about it. If you want to do 60k in a 50k zone, then petition the speed limit implementors to increase the limit in that area. Simple as that!

yes, everyone speeds, but if you're caught, it's tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

colm_mcm wrote:
    before the penalty points I'd get caught every 6 months or so. Points work!
    :eek: Didn't you learn back then to keep under the speed limit?
    How long do you think it will be before you get your next pair of points?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i think the cops are doing a good job at chking for speeding ive 2 points got cought in tip on a road i was sure was a motorway but i was wrong nice cop to talk to got my points .

but i do think they need to go and look for speeding outside of the normal fish in a barrel aera's and need more time allocated to doing speeding checks .

but i dont believe speed is the number 1 reason for all the deaths since the start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

Why is it that it is always in Dublin that people complain about speed cameras??

Do they not police outside Dublin??

I agree with people complaining about the shooting ducks in a barrell job

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    :eek: Didn't you learn back then to keep under the speed limit?
    How long do you think it will be before you get your next pair of points?

back then, all that would happed is you get fined £50, didn't affect your insurance. It was a risk worth taking at the time. Haven't been caught in ages, mainly because I don't really speed any more. and if I do, it'll be somewhere I know I won't get caught!
    I don't really want points on my license

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Yup they do...outside my house most days...about 20mtrs away from my front door :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Hotwheels wrote:
    Yup they do...outside my house most days...about 20mtrs away from my front door :)

Just be careful that you donot get caught.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Trampas wrote:
    Why is it that it is always in Dublin that people complain about speed cameras??

I agree with people complaining about the shooting ducks in a barrell job

I think the limits are more reasonable outside of Dublin. In Dublin there are some stupid limits and places where the limit changes unexpectedly. The cops seem to like to catch people out than actively try to improve road safety.

If theres a stretch of road where they can shoot ducks in a barrel. Then theres a problem with that part of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

If theres a stretch of road where they can shoot ducks in a barrel.

Ducks??? Hey!! What happened to the fish??? :D:D:D

ducks are bigger, and therefore easier to hit, plus you don't get all your fish rights people moaning if you use ducks

Advertisement