Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Parking Brakes

Options
  • 27-03-2006 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently got a Renault Grand Scenic with an automatic parking brake i.e. it is applied automatically when I switch off the engine and it automatically turned off when I pull off.
    Missus has to do her driving test an a couple of months and I was wondering how does this affect the driving test? The hill start becomes a non-issue with an auto parking brake? Would she have to do the test in a car with a standard handbrake?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine she won't have any problems apart from the obvious one - her licence will be good only for driving auto boxs.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mike65 wrote:
    I imagine she won't have any problems apart from the obvious one - her licence will be good only for driving auto boxs.

Mike.
    Huh? It's only the brake that's automatic, not the gearbox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Crossed wires I think...

I drove one of these in Spain last year. The parking brake can be applied and released as normal, although you can move off with it on, at which point it drops out with a very slight jerk (which is how I drove it for simplicity). Being French it'll probably break at some point anyway...

In a test scenario, I recommend she just uses it as normal, not a big deal really... Allowing it to release itself would not be a good idea, and neither would bringing its automatic nature to the attention of the driver tester

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

In a test scenario, I recommend she just uses it as normal, not a big deal really... Allowing it to release itself would not be a good idea, and neither would bringing its automatic nature to the attention of the driver tester

Interesting question...

The Passat has the same kind of thing, but it cannot be used as normal. If you want to release the parking brake you have 2 options:

a) Put on your seatbelt (prerequisite) and drive
    b) Press the foot brake, then press the parking brake button. (not ideal for hill starts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Huh? It's only the brake that's automatic, not the gearbox!

Whooops! :o

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We have a Scenic 1.6 at work, one evening I parked it, with one wheel up on a kerb, left it in gear and switched off the engine.

The next morning I pressed the clutch (as you do in a scenic) and the car rolled forward, the parking brake hadn't applied. (it's supposed to automatically do it when you turn off the engine)

My advice would be if you have one of these, leave it in gear when you park up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Latest news (Auto Express 29 March)

No one is more bemused by the DSA's new rulings than trainee driving instructor Grenville Smith. He was amazed when examiners turned him away on the day of his test as his car didn't come up to scratch.
    "My new Renault Laguna 1.9 DCi was banned due to it's electronic parking brake," he explained. "I had no idea that was an issue." Grenville had to re-arrange his test in another car. But Renault slammed the DSA restriction. It's spokesman argued: "This is the 21st century! The technology is meant to improve safety. Will the DSA be blacklisting cars with ABS next, because it interferes with emergency stops?"

This is in the UK by the way

Advertisement