Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle Import and VRT

Options
  • 27-03-2006 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Question about importing a vehicle w/o paying the VRT. I am trying to figure out, based on the info below as taken from oasis.gov.ie which category I would fall under as I am from Canada but have lived here for the past 5 years and hope to bring a vehicle over. I am not a Visitor but can I bring the car over temporarily - say 12 months - w/o registering the car here? OR, eventhough I already live here, can I fall under the category for those planning to move to Ireland permanently who are bringing a car over they already have owned for 6 months?

Exemptions from paying Vehicle Registration Tax
    There are different reliefs and exemptions from VRT. Even if you are not required to pay VRT, you must still register your vehicle when you come to Ireland (see Rules below). The following groups are exempt from paying VRT:
    "...
    Certain disabled drivers
    Visitors to Ireland who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who will be resident here temporarily
    People who have owned their vehicles abroad for more than 6 months and who are moving permanently to Ireland
    People posted to Ireland as part of the diplomatic corps
    NOTE: If you are moving to Ireland and are among those exempt from paying VRT you cannot sell your vehicle for more than 12 months after the vehicle is registered

If you are required to pay VRT, then you can sell your vehicle here in Ireland when you wish, once it has been registered. Further information is available from your local VRO..."

I am a permanent resident here so do you think it’s possible to state I am a visitor and bringing the car over temporarily and then after a period of time, state the car is staying here permanently or say that I have owned the car for 6 months abroad and am bringing it over here. As it’s within the family, it wouldn’t be a problem to show documents that the car has been under my name for quite some time.
    Essentially, I’m obviously trying to avoid the VRT. Anyone have any similar experiences or suggestions? Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

jdc78 wrote:
    I am from Canada but have lived here for the past 5 years and hope to bring a vehicle over.

Doesn't matter where you're from it matters where you've been living. As you've been here for years you've zero entitlement to bring a car in vrt free.

You must have been living and working abroad upto the time you're entering the country (with plenty of bank/payslip/bills documentation to prove that) and must have owned the car for at least 6 months prior to coming over.

Sorry but it's a non-runner for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭jdc78

damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

jdc78 wrote:
    damn.
    Yeah, the fcukers have it sown up.

MrP

Advertisement