Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doggy-doors, any advice or recommendations?

Options
  • 27-03-2006 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm considering a doggy-door but am not sure what to go for. For two small/medium sized dogs, it'll be in a north/east-ish facing wall and I'd like to think it would hold up for a long time and not let in weather and end up just locked or removed!
    Anyone with advice or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Hi daaft
    I wanted to get the same but I was told on another board that if the doggy-door led directly into the house i.e. not just into a conservatory with strong doors always locked, then the house insurance would be made null and void due to risk of burglary.
    I haven't checked it out with my insurers - must do as summer is coming and it's be nice for doggy to get out of the heat of our south-facing dining room for a jimmy when he felt like it.
    I used to have an electronic one for my cat (now deceasd) which was brilliant. It's still there but there's no way my westie could squeeze thru!!!
    I'd be glad to hear from otheres too!
    Goffie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daaft

Thanks for telling me that, we should be ok though cause it will be in a garage (now used as laundry etc) wall, but I had been thinking maybe someday to have a 2nd doggy-door on the inner door. I'll check that out with ins co before I do it much thanks to you :)

Still have to decide what to get tho.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Hi again daaft
    I know with my cat I eventually had to get an electronic door (where the cat wore a special collar) cos I had an ordinary one and all the local cats were jumping in and eating my poor moggie's food then rampaging aroung the house - not funny!
    It took a fair while and lots of chicken to get her over the loud click it the lock made when she approached the door, but once she got the hang of it it was brill. It was drafty tho, so I had a carpenter make a wooden lockable door to cover it, so on bad nights I could close it over and we'd be nice and cosy.
    I think Argos do pet doors and most of the pet shops do too. I'm surprised no-one else has come along to advise.
    Surely someone out there uses doggy-doors? Please share your wisdom!!!
    Cheers
    Goffie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daaft

hmmmm, never thought of 'other critters' getting in, we'll have to think about that. I did see the electronic ones and sortof wondered why.... but was inclined to dismiss them in case anything happened to the collar bit and they couldn't get in/out. Last dog never came back with a collar on LOL

There are so many, I want the best to suit the position at the best to suit pocket LOL you've given me great advice, ta.

Advertisement