Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A mathemical mentalist 'solves' lost

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

All those links are broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

None of the links are working and I can't understand a word of what he said otherwise.....very similar in that respect to most other lost theories out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

satchmo wrote:
    All those links are broken.

fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 evil_billy

It's insanely complicated to be the actual answer unless the shows producers are web nerds. Elements of it could be interesting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Guess it must be Crackpipe Monday on the Lost forums. Right after that guy finshed that post, he was dragged off to the same mental hospital as Hurley, screaming "The numbers are bad!" All these extreme theorists will crack up long before the producers reveal what's really going on. Maybe we should stick to talking about how hot Kate is?

• Advertisement

agamemnon wrote:
    Guess it must be Crackpipe Monday on the Lost forums. Right after that guy finshed that post, he was dragged off to the same mental hospital as Hurley, screaming "The numbers are bad!" All these extreme theorists will crack up long before the producers reveal what's really going on. Maybe we should stick to talking about how hot Kate is?

this guys theory seems to be good, god knows I didn't want to be, but his quantum number theory thing ties in, which is of course the opposite to what the writers said that numbers weren't that big a thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He seems freakishly intelligent and that's a very interesting theory, crackpot, but exceedingly interesting. Might not be a bad idea for the writers to go with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

agamemnon wrote:

agreed. i'll start.

Very.

I'll continue:
    [size=+10]UNSPEAKABLY[/size]

i tried saying that i had downloaded images of kate by accident to the wife, she wasn't having any of it.....but this will tell you how hot she is, when the wife saw the photos she was like ummmm shes nice! now how do get evangeline lilly to accidentally meet my missus in a hotel and then I turn uo with the champers....probably not going to happen is it?

(i've gone too far havn't I?)

• Advertisement

You'll have to arrange for you, your wife and the lovely Evangeline to board a plane which then crashes on a remote island with no chance of rescue, leaving you 3 the only survivors. Then, free from western society and the oppressive fascism of monogamy, your dreams will come true.

Hmmm... could this be what's really going on in Lost? Is the whole thing an elaborate ploy by frustrated rich kid Hurley to get himself some lovin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

All interesting reading - like the Apollo connections (will not be at all surprised if the remaining hatches carry those predicted names and symbols - this part is likely spot on; even robotic girl in the fake Dharma video was in "The Goblet") - but as a theory, it becomes bogged down in its own complexity and won't be easily rendered as an explanation to the Lost audience. Good theories in places, except for where it goes all mentally transcendent (suggesting Lostzilla is one man's spirit/consciousness/psyche.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Somebody needs to get a life.

I'm obsessed with Lost as much as the next part but this....you'd have to be stuck for time to do this

agamemnon wrote:
    You'll have to arrange for you, your wife and the lovely Evangeline to board a plane which then crashes on a remote island with no chance of rescue, leaving you 3 the only survivors. Then, free from western society and the oppressive fascism of monogamy, your dreams will come true.

Hmmm... could this be what's really going on in Lost? Is the whole thing an elaborate ploy by frustrated rich kid Hurley to get himself some lovin?

good god man your a genius, I don't have to do all that electromagnetic stuff do I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

The lost creators are writers not mathmaticians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yup.

The lost creators are writers not mathmaticians

what does that mean? they can't write about certain subjects? or maths is too complex a subject so therefore they wouldn't write about it?
    or you thought you'd try and say something unpretenious and cool?

i'm going with the latter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

explain it one sentence stevejaxx?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

stevejazzx wrote:
    what does that mean? they can't write about certain subjects? or maths is too complex a subject so therefore they wouldn't write about it?
    or you thought you'd try and say something unpretenious and cool?

i'm going with the latter....

I'd say what he meant was the complexity of the math’s may mean that it wasn’t what the writes would've dreamed up.

I think people will use what the show has given them to formulate a theory. You could have a number of possibilities with very little of them right but the "facts" seem to back them up.

I agree Kearnsr. There are so many loose ends right now, you could probably come up with a coherrant theory where a bag of crisps is behind it all...

Anyway, this is a stupid theory by some kid with too much time on his hands.

• Advertisement

Anima wrote:

Anyway, this is a stupid theory by some kid with too much time on his hands.

...and anima shoots down another theory with some fine deconstruction! wohoo

keanser is right that people are using lost to come up with all kinds of rubbish, but who s to know how complex the writers will make it or by that matter what they've been studying or are inspired by , anyways at this stage they've already made the stroy so complicated that any overall explanation will at least have to be partially complicated,
    apparently alias(never watched it) has a mental storyline
    I don't know if this z2 number theory is correct but I think its very good and one of the best so far(albeit very longwinded and over complicated)

kearnsr wrote:
    I'd say what he meant was the complexity of the math’s may mean that it wasn’t what the writes would've dreamed up.

This is true for the most part, and is the reason why I think neither the 'Maths theory' above or the 'Ultimate theory' elsewhere will prove to be incorrect. However, just because the writers are not mathematicians doesn't mean that there can't be a neatly woven story which draws on the more popular concepts in mathematics, those with mass appeal (think the use of the Fibonacci sequence in TV's "Taken" or in The DaVinci Code, or of prime and trancendal numbers in the novel, Contact).

I don't think this solution would be workable for the Lost audience, and I do think they have a catch-all explanation that will make sense without delving into the realms of quantum mechanics or general relativity.

In the case of the theory above, the fact they've said the numbers have no significance pretty much seals its fate (though I do still like the idea of the numbers tying to the location of the hatch and the 108-minute passing satellite concept).

The actual Lost ultimate explanation (final episode of season 7 or whenever) will be simpler, easy to understand - and if they've done their work well - very satisfying and acceptable to the audience.

...and anima shoots down another theory with some fine deconstruction! wohoo

Its just my opinion. It wreaks of fanboyism and some guy trying desperately to act smart in front of his peers. Just look at the comments, most of them say he stole most of the ideas. I scrolled through the first page, saw a bunch of maps, saw Bob ****ing Marley (....), saw a load of retarded paragraphs (Just read the first paragraph of the first post, wtf is that?) and I thought to myself, "Wow! This is complete bollacks!".

Whenever I read one of these verbose theories I just think back to what Abrams or Lindelof said, that people are taking their theories too far. I don't mind people coming up with ideas and making connections. Its when people start becoming pretentious, because other people haven't read as much as them, that annoys me.

Anima wrote:
    Its just my opinion. It wreaks of fanboyism and some guy trying desperately to act smart in front of his peers. Just look at the comments, most of them say he stole most of the ideas. I scrolled through the first page, saw a bunch of maps, saw Bob ****ing Marley (....), saw a load of retarded paragraphs (Just read the first paragraph of the first post, wtf is that?) and I thought to myself, "Wow! This is complete bollacks!".

Whenever I read one of these verbose theories I just think back to what Abrams or Lindelof said, that people are taking their theories too far. I don't mind people coming up with ideas and making connections. Its when people start becoming pretentious, because other people haven't read as much as them, that annoys me.

thats fair enough, but ther guy in question did call himself an over zealous idiot so he s not bad....

Anima wrote:
    I don't mind people coming up with ideas and making connections. Its when people start becoming pretentious, because other people haven't read as much as them, that annoys me.

Have to admit, this bugs me too. It's not like there's some big prize for figuring out the ultimate show revelation. In truth, the minute someone posts one (let's say a simple, catch-all one), if the writers see it, they'll probably automatically take a different course, so it won't be proven right anyway.

There are a ton of users across many boards who boast that their wide maths/science/geography/literature knowledge puts them in a better position to solve the show's mystery than a casual viewer of the show. I'd suggest the opposite - I'd say it's the casual viewer who'll spot it far quicker purely because they're enjoying it for what it is - a TV show! In the end, the mainstream audience - the wider numbers of viewers who don't post/research character history etc. - is who the show is being written for.

Abrams and Lindelof are right - some people are reading way too much into it, and some in quite a boastful and arrogant way (thankfully none of 'em on boards.ie, though). Some theories are likely close, some are probably a mile off - but I'm betting 90% of us will be pleasantly surprised when the final episode airs.

Advertisement