Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab automatic 'winter' setting?

Options
  • 27-03-2006 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I just bought a 2000 Saab 9-3 automatic. It has a button with W on it and I was told that this is the winter setting for the automatic gearbox. This means it starts off in 3rd gear to avoid wheelspin on slippery conditions.

My question is could i use this setting to increase fuel efficiency and would it damage the gearbox using it all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I just bought a 2000 Saab 9-3 automatic. It has a button with W on it and I was told that this is the winter setting for the automatic gearbox. This means it starts off in 3rd gear to avoid wheelspin on slippery conditions.

My question is could i use this setting to increase fuel consumption and would it damage the gearbox using it all the time?

Why would you want to increase fuel consumption ?

I doubt there would be any practical reason why you'd use this all of the time, or the car would be geared that way all the time. And yes I imagine you'd burn the Auto box clutch out after a while.
    There is still a valid reason for 1st and 2nd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, leave it for when you're in Sweeden, very few situations where you'd need it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

my dads volvo s80 has the same winter function button.Its not really useful in ireland.

Advertisement