Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel studs on a 99 Yaris - Help

Options
  • 27-03-2006 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a 99 Yaris second hand about 2 years ago. I've recently needed a new tire and when the tire guy was putting the wheel back on he mentioned that the threads on the on studs were all fecked. All of them! For every wheel (he checked). Anyways, does anyone know a) if its expensive to have them replaced?How expensive? b) is it possible to re-thread them instead?
    Cheers,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can't re-thread them, also get a second opinion - they can't be that bad if hey got them back on

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Daavid

Cheers for that info Colm. I believe what has happened is the guy who owned it bfore me got slightly small wheel nutes and used a power drill to put them on, so they stayed.... and appear to stay put when put on alright, but knowing the threads are fecked (oh and I have actually had about 3 opinions on it + friends who are handy with cars opinions) just makes me a little nervous to thnik of my wife and 2 kids driving along the motor way. Y'know. Trust me, I have no desire to spend the money, but I do want to have some amount of confidence that they're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely you'll have to replace more than just the nuts, surely the hub is damaged too?

Well, I brought it to a garage in Mullingar and replacing nearly all of the studs only cost me €120 which is way cheaper than i expected. Cheers for the feedback Colm. Only the studs themselves were damaged thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

The studs would most likely be made of slightly softer metal to the hubs and would therefore be easier to damage. You should, imo, have gone to a breaker for replacements. They'd have worked out much cheaper.

• Advertisement

Yeah I had thought about that alright, but I wouldn't have been confident fitting them myself and seeing as how my 2 daughters and pregnant wife are in the car most, I wanted to leave it to a pro.

Advertisement