Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Limerick to Dublin Airport

Options
  • 27-03-2006 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on driving from Limerick to Dublin Airport in July ( provided I pass my test first time).

Can anybody tell me what this route is like and do you have any tips on driving it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

N7 all the way to the M50 junction (Red Cow) then all the way northbound on the M50 to the M1. Airport will be signposted as you reach the M50/M1 junction. I reckon this is the simplest way. Have €1.80 ready for the toll on the M50. If you don't pass your test you won't be able to use any motorways - M7, M50 & M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Pretty much what Crosstownk said.

It is dual carriageway/motorway all the way from Portlaoise to Dublin. Just note that there are major roadworks just past Naas and the speed limit there is 60kph I think so expect plenty of delays. Allow plenty of time on your journey for delays as traffice on the N7/M50 and M1 is crazy at the best of times.

Also remember to have another €1.80 (assuming they don't raise the price while you are away) handy for the return journey through the toll on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

I think the N7 is the best stretch of road in the country and you should not have any problems.
    M50 is the best way to get to the airport from the N7 but you do need to use the toll as has been said.
    I may get a roasting for saying this but test or no test, if you are familliar with using the dual carraigeways around Limerick then use the motorways getting to Dublin as well.
    Nearly every other L driver does it - just keep your eyes open, use your mirrors, keep the speed up with the rest of the traffic and stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking and you will be fine.
    Why people think just because you pass a test you are suddenly qualified to drive on a road network you have no training or experience on is beyond me or why when you can drive on a provisional licence on the most dangerous stretches of roads in the country that you should not be allowed drive on the safest as well. Crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

jdwals wrote:
    I may get a roasting for saying this but test or no test, if you are familliar with using the dual carraigeways around Limerick then use the motorways getting to Dublin as well.
    Nearly every other L driver does it - just keep your eyes open, use your mirrors, keep the speed up with the rest of the traffic and stay in the left hand lane unless you are overtaking and you will be fine.
    Why people think just because you pass a test you are suddenly qualified to drive on a road network you have no training or experience on is beyond me or why when you can drive on a provisional licence on the most dangerous stretches of roads in the country that you should not be allowed drive on the safest as well. Crazy stuff.

1/. It's illegal.
    2/. Your insurance may be voidable, since you would be deliberately deciding to drive on a road for which you are not licensed.
    3/. What others do has no bearing. They are wrong also.

Apart from that it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Thanks everbody for your replies. I didnt mean to open a can of worms but I also dont see why L drivers cant use the motorway.
    That said if I dont pass my test I will be using the alternative route that I got from the route planner which avoids the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

bazz26 wrote:
    Just note that there are major roadworks just past Naas and the speed limit there is 60kph I think so expect plenty of delays.

Any idea when these are supposed to be finished? I presume in time for the Ryder Cup (very cynical) but it should be earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

testicle wrote:
    Any idea when these are supposed to be finished? I presume in time for the Ryder Cup (very cynical) but it should be earlier?
    All the signage states that the road works should be complete 'Summer 2006' but other things come to mind such as the M50, LUAS and the Port Tunnel:rolleyes: . I'd imagine there is pressure on to have it done before the Ryder Cup.

Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could you not just fly from Shannon, it'd be cheaper

Would love to fly from Shannon but the holiday doesnt go from there or Cork so it has to be dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

No, be cyncial. It will be complete in time for the Ryder Cup.
    We should be grateful that is taking place or it would be 2016 before those works are finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Alot of recent road infrastructure projects in recent years have come in before their due date.
    I know the developers are adding extra time on in the first place, but I would say the N7 will be complete in June/July!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Jood wrote:
    Would love to fly from Shannon but the holiday doesnt go from there or Cork so it has to be dublin.

Fly Shannon to Dublin.

Fly Shannon to Dublin.

that's what i meant too

Hi Guys, thanks for all the replys, I have tried to get a flight from Shannon to Dublin but its cositn 150 euros each return and we'd have to wait overnight for the flight home, the car park is 119e ( 8.50 per day x 14 ) so thats 60e each I think its the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Jood wrote:
    Hi Guys, thanks for all the replys, I have tried to get a flight from Shannon to Dublin but its cositn 150 euros each return and we'd have to wait overnight for the flight home, the car park is 119e ( 8.50 per day x 14 ) so thats 60e each I think its the best option.

Theres a car park near the airport with park & ride thats a fiver a day. Busses are V.frequent too( lessthan 15 mins to the terminal). I use it evertime I need to go out of Dublin (prefer to avoid at all costs:D )... I kinda know the way but perhaps others may help you out better.

FBP.

N7 Lights at Kill were eliminated yesterday afternoon, and the new interchange opened. :D
    Traffic moved non stop from newlands cross as far as Naas wt a decent pace. Been waiting years for that, so it seems that the completion of the N7 works is drawing closer.

fatboypee wrote:
    Theres a car park near the airport with park & ride thats a fiver a day. Busses are V.frequent too( lessthan 15 mins to the terminal). I use it evertime I need to go out of Dublin (prefer to avoid at all costs:D )... I kinda know the way but perhaps others may help you out better.

FBP.

www.quickpark.ie

You must book in advance.

you used to be able to just turn up at Quick Park, but booking is essential, especially if you're travelling form Limerick!

Thanks for all your replies I have looked into it and I think that the quick park is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

prospect wrote:
    www.quickpark.ie

You must book in advance.

Are you sure? I was able to just drive in last month.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:

You were lucky.
    I have used it 6 or 7 times, midweek and weekends, and every time I would have been turned away had I not pre-booked.
    My parents were turned away once.

eoin_s wrote:

You were lucky.
    I have used it 6 or 7 times, midweek and weekends, and every time I would have been turned away had I not pre-booked.
    My parents were turned away once.

So stirctly speaking you do not HAVE to book, but it would be best advised.

Advertisement