Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing scratches from windscreen

Options
  • 27-03-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to have scratches removed from a windcreen, rather than replacing the whole thing?

Searching on google, I found a company called Glas-weld in the UK who do this kind of work, but I've had no luck finding similar in Dublin.

Does anyone have any info?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

as far as I know, Autoglass do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Halfords sell some packs to take chips out of glass...presume they work on scratches too...not sure how it works....probably best to go in and read the packet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to have scratches removed from a windcreen, rather than replacing the whole thing?

Searching on google, I found a company called Glas-weld in the UK who do this kind of work, but I've had no luck finding similar in Dublin.

Does anyone have any info?

thanks!

Why donot you just crack your windscreen and call your insurance company and get a brand new one for free and it wonot even affect your no claims discount.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

That's a bit drastic :)

i asked my insurance company (hibernian) and they said if that ever happens the no claims bonus is not affected.that is really a good option they have in there policy also if i loose my car keys then i will be able to get free car keys where as if i go and buy one it will cost me 200-250 for them(2005 vw golf keys).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

You can get a paste in a jewellers that they use for cleaning up jewellery, I'm not sure of the name but I've heard of people using it. Its a bit like rubbing compound for taking out scratches on paintwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

It seems scratch repair is a service unavailable in the Republic of Ireland. Even Autoglass can't help.

drdre wrote:
    Why donot you just crack your windscreen and call your insurance company and get a brand new one for free and it wonot even affect your no claims discount.:D

It looks my my option is the best and cheapest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Some insurance companys have an excess in there cover, so if you claim for a new windscreen, ya may have to pay out 150e excess and they pay the rest. So before doing that, check your policy.

As far as i know there is a compound that can polish out scratches but i havent got a name of hand.

-V-

Some insurance companys have an excess in there cover, so if you claim for a new windscreen, ya may have to pay out 150e excess and they pay the rest. So before doing that, check your policy.

As far as i know there is a compound that can polish out scratches but i havent got a name of hand.

-V-

If your with hibernian then its free.But you are right some companies do have a excess for this service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cogitosus

The compound is called Jeweller's Rouge. It's a paste that you apply and then rub like hell.

It works, but it takes a lot of elbow grease and can be wearing on the fingers, so gloves are advised. It will not take out deep ecratches such as those from worn-out wiper blades; I don't know of anything that will.

Similarly, I don't know about the companies that claim to fix scratches, but I am familiar with the crack and chip repairs. They use a technique of injecting a clear liquid and this will not work with scratches.

C.

Advertisement