Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Eircon question...

• 27-03-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

My father in law is changing from dial up to broadband.
    Does he have to write and ask for the dial up account to be canceled or will they do it automatically?

TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Safest to atleast call them. They maybe able to cancel over the phone but may require something in writing, maybe even an e-mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

no, i remember reading before that you have to ask to cancel the dial up account.. ie. they wont cancel it automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

hobie wrote:
    and if Eircom had better Lawyers drafting there terms and conditions more carefully/fairly my life would be far happier right now ....

Although I hate to do this....

Eircom do have an excellent legal team, if you had been more careful reading the T&C's you'd have a smaller bill.

Maybe you were thinking of more consumer friendly instead?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kleefarr wrote:
    My father in law is changing from dial up to broadband.
    Does he have to write and ask for the dial up account to be canceled or will they do it automatically?

TIA.

He should be careful - if he is on one of the dial up packages with a cerain amount of time per month there is an optimum time to cancel during the month otherwise he is back charged for all the calls during the month - there have been many threads on this here full of irate people. Best to ring them and enquire about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If someone is on a FRIACO "flat rate" package and they cancel it, then all the modem calls made since the last bill will be charged at "eircom net free" rates. This shouldn't be a big cost unless you are on a more expensive package, like the 150 hour one. For example the most you would pay as a penalty for cancelling the "flat rate 25" package would be around €17.

The best time for cancelling the package would be just after the first bill you recieve after getting broadband.

I'm not sure what the story is regarding the old subscription accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Spent a few hours yesterday trying to get info.
    Dialled 1901 and was told to phone a number. Tired that number a few times and always got a "not at my desk, please phone etc etc etc, dial 0 to speak to a customer service adviser".
    Spoke to the customer service adviser who said that I need to send an email to eircomnetcontracts@eircom.net.
    Have sent the email on my father in laws behalf stating that I don,t expect any charges to this account after 21st April 2006, which is when his billing period ends and he will probably have broadband up and running around then. I am going down for easter and will set it up for him then.
    I don't expect to get a reply anytime soon, but fully expect a reply later saying that they cannot except an email from me, it has to be from my father in laws email address. In which case, I will just forward a copy of my email and he can forward it to them.
    He has a pay as you go dial up account, so I don't see many problems with regard to charges.

Fingers crossed eh!

Is it me, or has this tread got mixed up with another. The seems to be a couple of posts missing as well. :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kleefarr wrote:
    Is it me, or has this tread got mixed up with another. The seems to be a couple of posts missing as well. :confused:

Which of the mixed up threads are you posting to now? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

kleefarr wrote:
    He has a pay as you go dial up account, so I don't see many problems with regard to charges.

Fingers crossed eh!
    If he's dialing up to Eircom's free 1892 150150 number, then there's no need to cancel anything as he only pays for the time he's online. This would appear on his phone bill each month. There's no fee involved.

dub45 wrote:
    Which of the mixed up threads are you posting to now? :)

I think to my original post, I hope. It's seems so, but who knows! ;)

• Advertisement

jor el wrote:
    If he's dialing up to Eircom's free 1892 150150 number, then there's no need to cancel anything as he only pays for the time he's online. This would appear on his phone bill each month. There's no fee involved.

Thought about that, will have to check his bill when I go down.

Cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Send the cancellation to them in writing, and by registered mail!!!!
    Trust me, you'll be happy you did as you have proof you sent the cancellation request if anything goes wrong.

Advertisement