Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting Entrepreneurs

Options
  • 27-03-2006 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am dabbling with the idea of starting a business. Lots of experience, financial skills, brain the size of a planet... No business idea or marketing knowledge.
    Anyone out there know of forums where I could meet potential business partners?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Google 'First Tuesday'

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Not too sure how active First Tuesday is these days. Their website news and events sections doesn't seem to have been updated since 2004.

I remember going to a few of their meetings back in the heady days of web1.0 - particularily the one where Denis O'Brien was given a reception normally reserved for pop stars and popes just after he'd trousered 200+ million from BT.

It would be interesting to do a survey of all the companies that gave 'elevator pitches' at these events to see where they are now.

Here's another similar service www.theloopireland.com

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Aviator55 wrote:
    I am dabbling with the idea of starting a business. Lots of experience, financial skills, brain the size of a planet... No business idea or marketing knowledge.
    Anyone out there know of forums where I could meet potential business partners?

I dont have any forums to point you to because I dont think they exist in that people with ideas dont generally advertise them but I think you may need a reality check.

Basically if you dont have an idea of your own for a business, you are going to find it very difficult. Ask yourself why would anyone share their idea with you unless you were going to bring something other than your "brain" and "financial skills" to the process. Those things are important once a business is off the ground, but to get a business to just the starting point you need two things first and foremost: an idea and money.

People with ideas look for people with money to finance them. People with money look for people with ideas to invest in. If you have neither I think you are going to find it very difficult to get going.

You are more likely to have success meeting like minded people through your current job with similar skills and ability. Can you not think of an idea to do with your current line of work, something that can be improved or a service that isnt being provided and start with that?

I disagree with homeowner. An true innovator and a true entrepreneur are rarely born in the same body.

A lot of times the innovator is a bit of an eccentric mess and needs a lot of help on the financial side and the sales side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

ballooba wrote:
    I disagree with homeowner. An true innovator and a true entrepreneur are rarely born in the same body.

A lot of times the innovator is a bit of an eccentric mess and needs a lot of help on the financial side and the sales side.

If you read my post you would see that I said much the same thing.
    homeOwner wrote:
    People with ideas look for people with money to finance them. People with money look for people with ideas to invest in.

The OP wants to be an entrepreneur yet doesnt seem to have either the innovation required or the spending power to become one.

• Advertisement

I've edited this post as it didn't really make sense.

An idea alone is not a business. An innovator on their own does not have a business.

They need a business mind. You don't have to have an idea or funds to start a business. You just have to know where to get your hands on them.

Advertisement