Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40 minutes means how many words?

Options
  • 27-03-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

So how many words could you get out in 40 minutes flat.
    I'm preparing a question for the exam and I know the question that will come up. I'm just wondering how many you could get in 40 minutes so I can do an ole word count on the finished result to give me rough estimate of what to cut out or add.
    I'll probably do a speed test closer to it but I've less than 24 hours to study for this after the previous exam (afternoon then morning).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To be honest, everyone varies. The best thing to do is just practise writing an essay (or just writing shíte) for 40 minutes, treat it like an essay with reading over it and stuff. Then do your wordcount. I could say 850 or 1000 (I get about 1500 done in an hour and 10 or so) but that's me - I'm probably slow, I look around too much. The important thing is to give yourself plenty of time - if you're going to be learning something off, unless you have a photographic memory you'll be putting yourself under pressure. If you miss a word in a sentence, it could throw you for the rest of the question. I find that working notes down to a few words on a flash card, and being able to write an entire paragraph on each word, then writing those words on the rough work the second I go in works best for me, but that won't work for everyone.:)

Sucks to have exams so close together. I feel your pain - I have two of my finals on the same day(:eek: ), unless they manage to change the timetable (which is a possiblity as the timetables are only provisional, and there are only 20-odd in the class... fingers crossed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to memorise the essays especially after research and writing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

We had a great exam last year where we had to learn off about 24 pages and then regurgitate it in the exam itself (were told what was coming up). Was brilliant for me cos I've a photographic memory, but God my hand was sore afterwards! Sangre if its an exam I presume you mean writing using a pen and paper, as opposed to typing, so that will probably be slower than if you were on a comp...still if you have it memorised you should be able to fly through it :) My fastest handwriting was about 7.5 minutes per exam page (smaller than normal A4), I don't know what that translates to though.

Advertisement