Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Is licence needed?

• 27-03-2006 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am putting together a DVD of a recent event in the local area. I will be using music on it that is copyright. the dvd will be sold to people who were at the event approx 50 dvds at €20 each. Of this I will receive €10. If I need a licence to use the music, who do i contact and how much will it cost. I want to do everything above board as I hope to get into this area in the future. The DVD will not be sold in shops or general release, only to people who are in it. Any advice will be gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Could cost you alot.I mean thousands sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

I am putting together a DVD of a recent event in the local area. I will be using music on it that is copyright. the dvd will be sold to people who were at the event approx 50 dvds at €20 each. Of this I will receive €10. If I need a licence to use the music, who do i contact and how much will it cost. I want to do everything above board as I hope to get into this area in the future. The DVD will not be sold in shops or general release, only to people who are in it. Any advice will be gratefully received.
    Don't bother. Just sell it. It's too smalltime to worry about at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You'll need to contact the record label directly.

It really will cost a fortune and some tracks aren't possible to get at all.

Perhaps have a look at something like http://www.freeplaymusic.com which has a simple licensing system and rate card in place.

There is also plenty of open source music out there on the web which you can freely use under the creative commons license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

It really will cost a fortune and some tracks aren't possible to get at all.

The are two responses here.

1) the "don't bother they won't notice". Is actually a fairly honest and pramatic approach. Provided a copy never, ever reaches someone from IMRA, or a music label. If you are doing this off your own bat, this "event" isn't paying you or getting cash from this, and they get hold of a copy, you'll be sued. Period. Record companies are sueing poor bastards over their Itunes collections they're extremely paranoid and aggressive at the moment. If the event is getting cash or paying you. They'll be sued as well. Sod it if its a charity, or your parish, they'll sue, and you could bankrupt them. A friend runs an amateur theatrical group in letrim and wanted ot put on a stage version of clerks, for charity, and wrote to viewaskew and asked permission to use the script and got cease and desist letters from both Miramax and Kevin Smith. They take this shít serious.

2) I've done it. Or rather more accurately I've worked on a job and we got away with it. And it was broadcasted. It was a UK piece, broadcasted, and there was a relelatively obscure B side from a pretty much non mainstream artist. We couldn't get clearance for on specific track, and just fuged handing in the music returns and claimed we'd used a different track from the same label. But it was a commisioned documentary and may stations have fair usage contracts with the music labels.

Not lying to you, you run the risk. If you try and approach the labels you will either get the brush off or get insane quotes. If you try and fly under the raider you may get an unpleasant summons in a few weeks/years.

Hmmm I don't know the piece the situation or the idea, but usually on this kind of amateur production music is used like a crutch, to pump up production values and as a self referential nod to the audience, is this the case here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just find some free music, it'd be too risky not to get clearance, and probably too expensive to get clearance.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Devinho

Lump wrote:
    Just find some free music, it'd be too risky not to get clearance, and probably too expensive to get clearance.

John

Either that or go direct to the artists, they may be more open to your proposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Devinho wrote:
    Either that or go direct to the artists, they may be more open to your proposition.

Anyone serious' music will be owned by their label. I worked on a documentary where we wanted to use "like a prayer" by Madonna. Turns out theres a dispute with Sony over who owns it, and we couldn't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

Thaks everyone for the advice, still not sure what to do, some of the video has scenery of the local area so I was going to put instrumental music on that, and another part is panning around tables at a function, there is too much background noise from all the people chatting so more music was going over that. think probably the best way to go is to use royalty free music, any advice on where to find it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well, as I've said something under the creative commons license would probably be your best bet.

Have a look at a site like http://www.jamendo.com/

And depending on the type of creative commons license you might be able to use a piece of music without charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

Thanks monkeyfudge, I will check out the link now, this definitely seems the safest way to go, thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement