Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgerar Rangemax Router Wpn824uk

• 27-03-2006 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I am looking to buy a wireless router for a big house.Do any of you have experience of using this router??Is it any good?What dose it mean when it is only a router and not a modem.How many people can use it wireless at the same time.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

coman wrote:
    I am looking to buy a wireless router for a big house.Do any of you have experience of using this router??Is it any good?What dose it mean when it is only a router and not a modem.How many people can use it wireless at the same time.

thanks

Firstly it is wise to remember that the performance of wireless equipment can be pretty unpredictable.

There is one favourable review of the netgear here: (its a pretty good site with lots of information if you look around it.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2702

Full details of the netgear itself are here:

http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php

I am not sure about the number of users but unless you live in a very big house with hundreds of fellow inhabitants I dont think the number of users is any problem:)

The fact that is is a router means that you have to connect it to your modem.

There is an all in one version ie modem plus router - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2436

This model gets pretty mixed reviews there.

to get the most from this type of router it seems to be esential to use matching wireless cards which can be pretty expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

I have experience with several wireless routers.

1) A buffalo ASDL Modem and Wireless router. Placed in the middle of a three story house. Good quality wireless connection on the upper and lower floors and of course the middle one. Worked great.

2) A standard Belkin ADSL Wireless Router in my parents house. Only worked in adjoining rooms through thin walls, otherwise would drop the signal all the time. Was dyfunctional except for use in the same room

3) A Linksys WGR54 ADSL modem router in my parents house; this worked better than the Belkin equivalent, though still didn't really make decent internet access available through their 1400 sq foot house.

3) A Belkin Pre-N Mimo, set up in an office, with Pre-N cards in the PCIs on the floor below. This worked really well with Pre-N cards in the other pc's, with 128bit WEP encryption, and Ok, but not great for non Pre-N Mimo cards. At this point, this would be one of my first choices. Someone on boards posted a link to these in Bargain alerts on a major discount.

4) A Netgear Rangemax wpn824 in the house of a guy I work with sometimes; I set it up, at the other end of a stretched out apartment, say a good 50 feet through 2 walls, it worked really well.

5) A Netgear Rangemax WPN824 in my apartment, which works pretty good, although I have a Mimo, but not rangemax card in my PCs and they all work quite well, though not perfectly (meaning, some packet loss 5-10%, if I am streaming video, or using VOIP, there is some jitter). I suspect that if I had a rangemax card in my PC, this would be great. I am using this to go through 2-3 walls in a big Georgian apartment, and in practice its good, though I'm gonna tweak it until it's a bit better.

My suggestion is: Go for either the Belkin Pre-N Mimo or the Netgear Rangemax, or possibly even the Linksys SRX200 Mimo models. Make sure you get exactly compatible cards in your receiving PCs for best performance; like a rangemax card in your desktop on the other side of the house (especially if you need perfect signals.... for VOIP or online gaming).

I don't think there are any limits to how many people can connect once you set it up right; but if you are sharing an internet connection, you wouldn't really want more than 8-10 PCs and even thats pushing it if you use it simultaneously.

Also a wireless router isn't a modem, thus you need to plug the ethernet output of your ADSL/Cable model into a wireless router, and set it up.

A ASDL modem / router you simply plug into your ADSL line.

Et voila, there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foxtail

i've been a netgear man myself from the b (dg824) speed, then the g (dg834g) and so the rangemax was the next logical step to upgrade to MIMO speeds. however...the blue strobe light (shows which of the 6? antennae is active) was too strong for me...it lights up the whole room at night, so i've reluctantly switched to a belkin MIMO.

if you don't mind the light then this is an excellent product, else if you can afford to, skip to the latest and get the RangeMax240 for 240Mbs speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Merik

foxtail wrote:
    however...the blue strobe light (shows which of the 6? antennae is active) was too strong for me...it lights up the whole room at night, so i've reluctantly switched to a belkin MIMO.

Isn't there an option on the software to disable the flashy lights. I have the netgear DGH834PN and matching cards, no loss of coverage throughout a modern 3 story house. It has the flashy lights and an option to disable. They'd be cool at some house party :)

I've only had problems with the desktop PCI card it sometimes loses signal when I'm running an application which heavily uses the pc processer, thats what I put it down to, some software I use to convert video files from 1 format to another seems to cause my problem. This I'd then put down to a problem with the software the card uses and not a hardware issue. I've not experienced any problems with the laptop card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I have the wpn824 you can't turn off the flashy lights and they are quite bright I have mine in the hall so it doesn't bother me. My only problem with this router is that it doesnt work with the Nintendo DS

• Advertisement
Advertisement