Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A DSL router connecting to a wireless router

• 27-03-2006 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hey all...

I'm thinking about getting BB as I currently have IBB. Anyway I currently have a wireless router upstairs in my house connecting 2 pcs and a laptop with a wireless card. As I dont want to run a cable up my stairs I'm wondering if its possible for my router to connect to whatever DSL modem I get wirelessly thus providing internet to my pc's without the need to buy wireless network cards.

I suppose what I want is my router to act like a NIC.. I think.

Is this possible?

any help appreciated!

JAmes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

JMG wrote:
    hey all...

I'm thinking about getting BB as I currently have IBB.

Definitely the best putdown of IBB I have seen to date!

JMG wrote:
    Anyway I currently have a wireless router upstairs in my house connecting 2 pcs and a laptop with a wireless card. As I dont want to run a cable up my stairs I'm wondering if its possible for my router to connect to whatever DSL modem I get wirelessly thus providing internet to my pc's without the need to buy wireless network cards.

I suppose what I want is my router to act like a NIC.. I think.

Is this possible?

any help appreciated!

JAmes

The simple answer is no. Hard to think of a solution other than a phone extension upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JMG

been doing some investigating...

its seems I can get an wireless bridge, connect that to my router upstairs and voila... no need for cables!

anyone ever had experience with a setup like this?

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

JMG wrote:
    been doing some investigating...

its seems I can get an wireless bridge, connect that to my router upstairs and voila... no need for cables!

anyone ever had experience with a setup like this?

J

Why not get a wireless modem/router for the DSL BB connection setup the SSID, channel etc the same as your current setup and then bridge the connection between the two routers wirelessly (depends on what make/model you have)??? The belkin router I have has this facility, and if that bucket o cr@p has it then surely others must too. :confused:

You just must remember to only have one of the routers act as dhcp, server (the one on the BB downstairs) or you could end up with probs, not sure re: routing function, think you may be able to leave this on upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JMG

I've found this:

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE974588&productID=109586

I think it should do what I want. I think the setup will be something like this:

(internet) -> DSL modem/wireless router (AIR) -> Buffalo bridge -> netgear router (LAN)

will this work??

Cheers for the help

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

agh! starting to get messy.

I think that Buffalo yoke will just complicate things.

I'd do this:

BB --> DSL Modem/Wireless router --> air --> Wireless Ethernet Bridge --> Wireless router --> PCs/Laptops

That wireless bridge will pick up signal from DSL modem and supply it to the wireless router upstairs. Be the same as getting an ethernet cable from the modem upto the router upstairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement