Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old age spirituality

Options
  • 27-03-2006 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to share a little about my beliefs.
    I was introduced to the essene gospels some while back and at the time I found it a perfect blend of understanding and the nature of my own personal faith.

I had declined to call myself wiccan or pagan although connection with and being a part of nature is a huge part of my belief system, there was a basic "christian" revelatory element which originally gave shape and nurtured my own spiritual growth. [that is that "God" is the world and all around us and Christ is that element within us, through which we connect with God.]

These values are expresed in the gospels in the form of original christianity, as studied and taught by Jesus.
    It's a little different to the christianity we know of today :)

Banus the essene: Your Father is the Cosmos. Your Mother is Nature. Your siblings are your fellow humans.
    Live in harmony with the laws and forces of the Universe, Nature and of your own being. Preserve thyself. Learn the natural and cosmic laws. Live in peace with yourself, with humanity, with Nature and the Universe. Live in creative love with and for your fellow humans that they may live for thee. Peace Be With You.

enjoy

It was in 1928 that Edmond Bordeaux Szekely first published his translation of Book One of The Essene Gospel of Peace, an ancient manuscript he had found in the Secret Archives of the Vatican as the result of limitless patience, faultless scholarship, and unerring intuition. This story is told in his book, The Discovery of the Essene Gospel of Peace, published in 1975.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Interesting stuff, I'm not sure if I totally understand it though. Am I writing in saying that Essenes don't believe in a God figure in the sense that Christians generally would, and that therefore Jesus wouldn't be the 'son of God' in the direct sense, but more in the sense that we're all God's children ? Would they view Jesus in a similar way to how Buddhists view the Buddha, i.e. no more divine than anyone else, just more enlightened and knowledgeable ?

I really like their openess to new and different ideas, and the way they don't seem to believe that the bible contains all that we really need to know, it's all very similar to new age stuff, except as you pointed out it's much older. I've seen a lot of new age stuff recently relating to Jesus and was kind of surprised by it, I'd have thought they were almost mutually exclusive, but it makes a lot more sense now.

I love the mystery school aspect too, so ... mysterious, but I might go into that in a different thread.

Advertisement