Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question (Engineers)

Options
  • 27-03-2006 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

If you become a member of Engineers Ireland (IEI) I know you get a group insurance discount...
    Anyone here use this? What reduction can you expect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I have it. It depends on your age, circumstances etc. When I was younger, wearly 20's it was great but now (almost 30) shopping around gets prices fairly close but its still the best rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

If you can prove that you've attended 20 lectures on concrete and drainage then you are officially classed as a neglible liability.

Sorry, only messing. With my daily swipe at civil engineers out of the way, I'll now move on to pure speculation mode -
    If you're a young driver trying to insure a proper car either the company will wriggle out of it, or the policy is with a company that is not the cheapest even with the discount.

If you're an older driver the discount is likely to be piddling.

Apologies for the scepticism but I don't think there is any winning with insurance. Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I'd consider attending a few lectures on concrete myself if I could bring the insurance of an aging 1.4 (FEEL THE POWER!) Nissan under a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ronanom wrote:
    If you become a member of Engineers Ireland (IEI) I know you get a group insurance discount...
    Anyone here use this? What reduction can you expect?
    I used to be a member of the IEI years ago and Glennons Insurance Brokers were the company providing the cheaper insurance.
    However at the time, my company paid the IE membership fee so with the "small" discount Glennons offered, I was being insured by them.

But since I changed my job, the new company don't pay my IEI fee, so I moved to Hibernian.

I think Glennons were only cheaper when my NCB was in its infancy, but now that I've built it up, I don't think they are as competitive any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 doggy

Every year at renewal time i ring Glennons quoting the engineers discount, and every time they've been beaten. i'm 26 and have had my own insurance since being 22. i'm with Axa through insure.ie and their loyalty/No claims discount has always beaten off the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I was insured under this scheme, but with my last car (Octavia vRS) they wheren't at the races. Based on my experience with them (and that of my friends) the basic deal seems to be, if you're:
    1. Male
    2. Under 27
    3. Driving a reasonably powerful, but run of the mill car
    Then they offer good value, otherwise it isn't worth it. Of course your milage may vary!

Paddy

PS Also worth noting that the underlying policy (in my case anyway) was with Allianz, but the policy did not include all the standard features of a policy bought directly from them - in particular insurance bought from Allianz Direct includes no loss of NCB in the case of theft, but this is not a feature of the policy sold by glennons.

PPS You will need an IEI membership no. etc to actually get insurance, but they aren't (usually) as strict when you ring them up looking for a quote, So you could always give them a call....

• Advertisement
Advertisement