Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Glorious People's Republic of Boards.ie - Mod elections?

Options
  • 27-03-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Here's an idea, in a humourous nod to the Easter 1916 week that's it in.

For the craic, why not have 'elected' mods in the forums?

It could be trialled with a few forums. I'm sure the canvassing process would be good craic in its own right. Elections could be could held yearly/twice-yearly.

Or should we all cower under the existing oppressive junta-esque oligarchy? ;-)

Troll, peasants, troll!

*sits back and waits for the inevitable collective sense of humour brown-out*
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hmm dont know about this, I guess it could be trialled on one forum and see how it goes

*accepts the brown envelope and votes for DublinWriter*

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No-one in their right mind would canvass votes to be elected mod. Thus, the only people who would be running, would be insane. And well, they don't make the best mods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

seamus wrote:
    No-one in their right mind would canvass votes to be elected mod. Thus, the only people who would be running, would be insane. And well, they don't make the best mods :)

Seamus, the brown envelope you gave me was filled with paper shreddings! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

"Democracy just doesn't work."

-Socrates

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Let Judge Cloudie decide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Like it...there are a few posters here who I think would make great Mods, Dublinwriter and Wertz are the first two that come to mind.:)

I look forward to the threads in feedback about why a mod, chosen by The People (tm) to moderate a forum has been slapped down to Earth by an Admin. Yes, take that Pighead.

Amp test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Here's an idea, in a humourous nod to the Easter 1916 week that's it in.

What did easter 1916 have to do with democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

gave it a bigger gun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Rantorama wrote:
    Like it...there are a few posters here who I think would make great Mods, Dublinwriter and Wertz are the first two that come to mind.:)

SELF VOTE! SELF VOTE! DUAL ACCOUNTS! MAN THE CANNONS!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Elections = Beauty Pageant For Those With Online Mates.

The other problem with this idea is that the people who can vote, don't have to live under that person's "rule". In parlimentary elections you at least have to deal with the decisions of the person elected. Whats to stop any spa going and getting tons of people to vote for him who have no intention of ever posting on the XYZ forum? So we'd have to restrict voting rights which leads to more complaints. Not to mention the fact that the Admins might have to remove a mod... unless of course they were being a right muppet and everyone agreed they should be removed.... but then how many people agreeing that the mod should be removed would constitute enough agreement? I guess we'd have to leave that to the Admins discretion because, you know, you trust us... right? But we have to give over some of that power to the Smods as theres a lot of work to do! And so on and so forth...

"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." -- Winston Churchill

Democracy, in a land based system works because everyone is stuck with each other. You can't simply say "if you don't like this government, take your farm and move to somewhere you DO like" or "start your own country then".

On the internet you can. We do. And it means that people who want to have a certain kind of government can and will flock together. Look at Indie Media, they have a much more anarchic structure to us. Slashdot is also very different as is SomethingAwful (which makes us look like a hippy commune).
    You also have the option of starting up a "country" of your own and building your own form of governement.

I secretly believe the vast majority of people want their government to clean up the crap, keep the trains running and otherwise stay the hell out of everyone's way. They also want the troublemakers beaten to death fast for causing trouble. In real life you can't advocate viciously beating someone for breaking the rules but online, where vigilante eviction is nothing nearly as serious as in the real world.... yeah, lots of people like the idea of a strict governing body of people chosen for the job.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Rantorama wrote:

Thanks Rantorama...the brown bag it's on its way...and I'll get that other little matter about the incident in Dublin Zoo squared away for ya, no bother bosco...

Honestly, I'd be debarred from being a mod, I've a boards.ie criminal record! I was once barred for two weeks for saying boo to a particularly nervous looking goose in the Work forum.

...and besides, the power would go to my head. I'd log in at 6am every morning, shave my head Dr.Evil style and see which of the posters in the previous 24 hours had upset Mr.Bigglesworth, because when Mr.Bigglesworth gets upset - people get sitebanned! Muah haw haw!

Mods can't siteban, we can however ask SMods, and have a good case to back it up. :D

I got banned once......from TCN.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

DeVore wrote:

I secretly believe the vast majority of people want their government to clean up the crap, keep the trains running and otherwise stay the hell out of everyone's way. They also want the troublemakers beaten to death fast for causing trouble. In real life you can't advocate viciously beating someone for breaking the rules but online, where vigilante eviction is nothing nearly as serious as in the real world.... yeah, lots of people like the idea of a strict governing body of people chosen for the job.

You sound like the Patrician! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

RuggieBear wrote:

A better analogy would be Dublinwriter and a group of fantical users would post an annoucement on AH on sunday morning to the stunned confusion of a group of hungover posters.

They'd seize key forums oh and snacks, and gardening (a nod to Bolands Mill and Stephens' green) as well as the Cuckoo's Nest and execute amp, but fail to capture Politics (a nod to dublin castle) because earthman was up early and in no mood for their lip.

They'd remain in control for a few days, while Asok, DeVore, and Ecksor and the rest of the SMods don't notice, busy sleeping off their hangover's and digesting sunday lunch, before spotting them, demolishing the rising and banning the user accounts.

Fighting Irish and Kernel and Pighead would be outraged for these "patriots" and would start a rebellion, involving many many multipile accounts eventually and a truce is called and the muppets get fed up join P45rant.net and leave the rest of us in peace*

*This bit is a historical innaccuracy but frankly would be a far better version of Irish History.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

mILLENIUM HAND AND SHRIMP!

Freelancer wrote:
    A better analogy would be Dublinwriter and a group of fantical users would post an annoucement on AH on sunday morning to the stunned confusion of a group of hungover posters.

They'd seize key forums oh and snacks, and gardening (a nod to Bolands Mill and Stephens' green) as well as the Cuckoo's Nest and execute amp, but fail to capture Politics (a nod to dublin castle) because earthman was up early and in no mood for their lip.

They'd remain in control for a few days, while Asok, DeVore, and Ecksor and the rest of the SMods don't notice, busy sleeping off their hangover's and digesting sunday lunch, before spotting them, demolishing the rising and banning the user accounts.

Fighting Irish and Kernel and Pighead would be outraged for these "patriots" and would start a rebellion, involving many many multipile accounts eventually and a truce is called and the muppets get fed up join P45rant.net and leave the rest of us in peace*

*This bit is a historical innaccuracy but frankly would be a far better version of Irish History.....

now, that makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Freelancer wrote:
    They'd seize key forums oh and snacks, and gardening (a nod to Bolands Mill and Stephens' green) as well as the Cuckoo's Nest and execute amp,

Hey, I'm just a puppet for The Leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

DeVore wrote:
    I secretly believe the vast majority of people want their government to clean up the crap, keep the trains running and otherwise stay the hell out of everyone's way. They also want the troublemakers beaten to death fast for causing trouble.

DeV.

4427murphyBoards.jpg
    Your guilty consciences may make you vote Democratic, but secretly you all yearn for a Republican president to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king!

Sideshow_Bob.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHHH DEVORE IS SIDESHOW BOB!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    Hey, I'm just a puppet for The Leader.
    nananananananana leader nananananananana leader
    nananananananana leader nananananananana leader, leader, leader
    BATMAN! I mean, LEADER!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well I'd have no forums left to mod, suprisingly some of us would be too busy to canvass.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If you're too busy to canvas, you're too busy to mod. Now I want your badge and ban-hammer on my desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Maybe there should be a script which picks mods at random, in random boards, for random periods of time. That's bound to be an improvement on the current ****eocracy, given how clearly unsuccessful it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Rantorama wrote:
    Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a terrible idea. Remember, this IS the internet. People will just take the piss with their votes and we'll end up with Pighead in charge of After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

we'll end up with Pighead in charge of After Hours.

[Shouts]Tsunami...............[/shouts]

I have yet to see two pictures of Dev that look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Doctor J wrote:
    Maybe there should be a script which picks mods at random, in random boards, for random periods of time. That's bound to be an improvement on the current ****eocracy, given how clearly unsuccessful it is.

Ah, now you see what you did there? This isnt a democracy, this is a benevolent dictatorship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Sparky-s wrote:
    I got banned once......from TCN.
    Still puts a smile on my face any time you mention that :)

Advertisement