Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Home Entertainment Systems

• 27-03-2006 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm moving into an appartment soon and I'm looking for some good Home Cinema stuff. Has anyone got any reccomadations for LCD TV's or Home Cinema systems. I've a budget of about 2K and out of this i was hoping to get a 26" LCD, a 15-17"LCD and a good Home Cinema System.

Also if you know of any good sites that deliever to Ireland currently I'm looking at www.pixmania.com any others worth looking at?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Noelie wrote:
    Hi I'm moving into an appartment soon and I'm looking for some good Home Cinema stuff. Has anyone got any reccomadations for LCD TV's or Home Cinema systems. I've a budget of about 2K and out of this i was hoping to get a 26" LCD, a 15-17"LCD and a good Home Cinema System.

Also if you know of any good sites that deliever to Ireland currently I'm looking at www.pixmania.com any others worth looking at?

Thanks

Quazzy's recommendations are spot on, I have used both of the above..

I have also used www.tvandvideodirect.com and for price and service I couldnt recommend them enough!!

Just be aware anything you buy online if something goes wrong you have to ship it back to them!! The cost of shipping a 26" or 17" shouldnt be too drastic!!

I got the 32" JVC DS6 LCD from tvandvideo and cant recommend it enough, I think they do a 26" version aswell.. others online including Quazzy I think give great reviews of the Samsung LCDs..

I'd say a Sony (personally I cant stand Sony) could have a decent all-in-one cinema system for around the €400.. I'd get a pretty decent 26" cos I assume thats gonna be in your main tv room and would spend less on the 17" which is probably for the bedroom and therefore out of sight!! So I'd spend say around €1150 on the 26", like this one

Then you'd have the remaining the €450 for the 17", you could get this 19"..

Remember to look here and here for reviews as what I have said above are not recommendations as I have not seen any of the items in action!!

Otherwise pick up an edition of What HIFI Sound&Vision as they have a list and reviews of loads of av equipment in the back of the mag!!

branners69 wrote:
    I got the 32" JVC DS6 LCD from tvandvideo and cant recommend it enough, I think they do a 26" version aswell.. others online including Quazzy I think give great reviews of the Samsung LCDs..

Yep I do have a 32" Sammy and I love it to bits.

Here's it baby brother:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313312

Also if you want to go a bit mad with the Home Cinema theme (and you have some extra cash) check out some decent cables and interconnects.

Fill Your Boots Ltd
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Fill-Your-Boots-Ltd_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Hi-Fi-Cable-Heaven
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Hi-Fi-Cable-Heaven_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

First one is in the UK and second guy is in Wexford.
    I have ordered from both and have been very happy in my dealings

If you have any more queries and questions please post back

Q

quazzy wrote:
    Yep I do have a 32" Sammy and I love it to bits.

Here's it baby brother:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313312

Also if you want to go a bit mad with the Home Cinema theme (and you have some extra cash) check out some decent cables and interconnects.

Fill Your Boots Ltd
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Fill-Your-Boots-Ltd_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Hi-Fi-Cable-Heaven
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Hi-Fi-Cable-Heaven_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

First one is in the UK and second guy is in Wexford.
    I have ordered from both and have been very happy in my dealings

If you have any more queries and questions please post back

Q

What about sticking with the Samsung range, I like the badges of my system matching!! You can get the Samsung HT-DS470, gets a decent review here and it should cost around the €500 mark then you can get the 26" Samsung from Komplett for €1000 this leaves €500 for the 17"..

Quazzy had a very good point above about your interconnects make sure you budget for them, normally between 10% and 15% of your overall budget!!

branners69 wrote:
    What about sticking with the Samsung range, I like the badges of my system matching!! You can get the Samsung HT-DS470, gets a decent review here and it should cost around the €500 mark then you can get the 26" Samsung from Komplett for €1000 this leaves €500 for the 17"..

Quazzy had a very good point above about your interconnects make sure you budget for them, normally between 10% and 15% of your overall budget!!

The Sammy all-in-1 system seems pretty decent alright.

I have a Sammy DVD recording with HDD.

And as a bonus and DVD remote controls the TV - Yoink.

Let us know which way ur swayed?

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote:
    The Sammy all-in-1 system seems pretty decent alright.

I have a Sammy DVD recording with HDD.

And as a bonus and DVD remote controls the TV - Yoink.

Let us know which way ur swayed?

Yeah you could add the Samsung 725 at a later stage!!

Let us know how you get on??

What you reckon Quazzy, I think we could be talking to ourselves;)

branners69 wrote:
    Yeah you could add the Samsung 725 at a later stage!!

Let us know how you get on??

What you reckon Quazzy, I think we could be talking to ourselves;)

Yep I think you could be right Branners

Maybe the OP got lost somewhere on the interweb....

Ah well all we can do is offer our opinion its up to the OP to take it or leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Hi Guys thanks for all your replies, I'm up to my eyes with everything house related at the moment so haven't had time to look at any of your suggestions but I'm going to do a bit of reading now. for the TV i was thinking of the Sony KLV-v26 its from the bravia range but it'll cost about 1400 on www.pixmania.com which won't leave much for my other two devices.

Anyway thats for your input and i'll let you know what i finally decide on. Thanks again

Noelie wrote:

Good luck with the purchase.

Let us know how it goes

Q

• Advertisement

They look sweet, but deffo check out www.avforums.com for reviews!!

There doesnt seem to be any reviews on www.homecinemachoice.com!!

And makesure you look into how Pixmania are handling orders now, there was a time not long ago when they were a big pile of poo!! But I think it was down to a new computer system they were installing!!

Best of luck with your equipment;)

I just notice the 20" has a response time of 25ms that a bit long isn't it?

I've bought stuff from pixmania just before christmas delivery was a week. Very happy with their service and customer care. And there prices are hard to beat.

Noelie wrote:
    I just notice the 20" has a response time of 25ms that a bit long isn't it?

With a 25ms repsonse time it may display fast scrolling titles like film credits with a slight judder.. I'd say it would be a bit of a nightmare looking at footie or anything fast moving.. I'd say u'd get bad smearing..
    If you ever plan on using it for gaming then stay well clear!!

There is also no scart either which you may or may not require!!

Thanks banner69, I'll be staying away form it since the response time is so slow.
    I guess devices with a time of 12ms would be pretty decent, is 8ms the best currently?

There is a scart connection on it. for some reason its not in the Connectivity details it has it's own heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Samsung have a couple of new THiB/home cinema systems coming out in the next while. The QX100 IIRC. Definitely worth checking out. Will be available in piano black and shiny white..

I've been looking to get my hands on a Samsung Home Cinema system, which apparently has been discontinued before even being launched here. Shame as it had USB Host & HDMi output.....model HT-P70R.

If I was pulling together a system like yours I would go Sammy all the way.

Should be close to budget too. Also worth checking Home Cinema magazines too.

Advertisement