Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connecting wireless router to ntl cable modem for 2 laptops

• 27-03-2006 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just bought a netgear router so me and my flatmate can share the ntl connection. I can connect to the web when i have the cable plugged in ( when i am configuring the router) But when i unplug and search for wireless networks it gets stuck on acquiring a network address.

Any ideas ? i tried it with a mac address and without. I have WPA security set on the connection ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

What card is the laptop using? Is it capable of WPA?

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

its an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

its 802.11g i think aswell

is this what you need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Well that will work fine with WPA. Do you have SSID broadcard enabled? Is your firewall set to allow the wireless card access to the network? Try to connect without the security & firewall enabled.

Also do a google for issues between the Netgear and the 2200BG. I think there may be issues between them.

Cal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

grahamor wrote:
    Hi,

I just bought a netgear router so me and my flatmate can share the ntl connection. I can connect to the web when i have the cable plugged in ( when i am configuring the router) But when i unplug and search for wireless networks it gets stuck on acquiring a network address.

Any ideas ? i tried it with a mac address and without. I have WPA security set on the connection ?

Thanks in advance.

I recently setup a netgear router with ntl for a friend of mine and it is working fine with an apple laptop and a windows laptop - with wpa enabled - I just plugged in the netgeaar with the power off on both the ntl modem and the netgear - turn the power on on the modem first wait a little while and turn the netgear on with the standard settings - there was no need to do anything special at all.

The best thing to do when setting it up is to disable all security in the netgear get the laptops finding the network and acessing the net and then apply security - have you got dhcp enabled in the netgear?

Advertisement