Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Shoes

Options
  • 27-03-2006 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Shoes disputes are a notoriously grey area I know, by definition of the wear and tear they tend to get before problems arise.
    Which is why I'm asking for opinions about my shoe 'issue' that has just come to light.

Pictured below you can see problem - holes in the soles. Over the past few days in the wet weather it became apparent that substantial wear has taken place on the rubber, leading to my left foot being completely saturated as water on the ground entered the holes and seeped all along the inside, soaking up like a sponge and making them completely unwearable for at least a week as they dry out, and impractical in the longer term.

I bought them only six months ago: last September. They cost a whopping €155: as far as I remember the most expensive men's shoes in the shop, which I was very reluctant to pay but did so in the 'knowledge' that I'd get a good few years out of them, and I liked the style. The ECCO brand is also an excellent one, arguably the finest brand outside of the leather shoe sector, so was very confident as to their potential longevity.

I wear them about four days a week, in a typical urban environment, walking to destinations to and from public transport etc - probably about an hour's walking a day on concrete and stone pavements. There is no way they ought to have suffered this level of wear surely? I have had two other pairs of shoes in the past in exactly the same environment, each in use in excess of two years and with no substantial sole wear at all.

Do I have any comeback? Certainly I'm going to bring them back and they are generally very good on returns as it is a reputable store (independent), but legally would six months be considered a reasonable time in which to return such an item? Or would six months be considered a period of 'excessive ownership' as it were?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

(needless to say they're a bit dusty at the minute, and will be cleaned up!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I would consider that your shoes were defective. They shouldn't wear away that quickly without excessive wear. I don't know if the shop will accept that they are defective though. Worth a try, you could ask for them to be sent back to the manufacturer and examined for defects.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think you have a very strong case given that my 99 cent Aldi shoes will probably last longer. If you still have the receipt and you don't get satisfaction from the shop then the small claims court will be a very good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Thank you both for your helpful responses, especially considering I asked two women what they thought and they laughed me out of it at the notion of having owned them for half a year and the expectation of a refund!
    I think women have rather different notions as to how long a shoe ought to last ;). Also women's shoes are generally designed to have a short life, while men's tend to last a lot longer, often twice or three times as long.

I'll bring them back tomorrow or at the weekend and see what happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I look forward to hearing how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I only but 2 makes of shoe; Timberland & Church's. I've only ever had a problem with 1 pair of timberlands and when I brought them back to Fitzpatrick's on grafton st about 4 months after I purchased them, they were replaced immediately. (The stitching has come apart a little)
    That's exactly what I would expect after paying about €130 euro.

You can send churches back to the manufacturer at any stage to get them repaired for free. Even if it is just wear and tear (unless they're 100 years old!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Sounds like a good brand.

Well I got a RESULT today! Had my long schpiel prepared should things have gotton confrontational, but nothing other than the exact opposite proved to be the case - the shop couldn't have been more helpful!

Before I'd barely finished my sentence the attendant was looking at the Ecco box I was holding and said that there shouldn't be a problem with that brand.
    He said straight away that the lapse of six months was irrelevant and that the wear was excessive. He said such shoes are supposed to last, that you pay that high price to get a good life out of them, and that with the Ecco brand in particular owners are usually sick of their shoes before they fall apart, they last so long! Also mentioned that he could see they weren't poorly treated.

They're sending them back to the manufacturer, and a replacement pair should be in the shop by this day next week! You might say why risk the same problem again, but I like the shoes! At least now I get a fresh new pair - they had gotton a bit tatty after all :D

The shop even offered a temporary pair of shoes to get me through the week, but I stupidly declined - I'm something of a drag-me-in get-me-out-fast kinda shopper :o

Thanks all for your help.

Advertisement