Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crown emulsion smells like PEE !!!

Options
  • 27-03-2006 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Ok Seriously !!! I only last week painted my hall stairs and landing with Crown Emulsion and its smells terrible similar to stale pee .
    Has anybody ever had a similar experience its nearly 2 weeks now and its really begining to get to me .Is it possible that the paint could have had a reaction with the wall , the wall previously had wall paper which was stripped off and sanded to take a paint finish . Any opinions greatly appreciated before i sound really stupid when i ring Crown paints !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Did you just buy the paint from the shelf? Or was it laying around for a while before you painted it.Sounds to me that the paint had gone off,when you opened it was there a lot of water sitting on top of paint? Did you notice the smell when opening can or only after it was applied...

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Same thing happened to me, the smell was enough to make my eyes water.

Your paint is most deffo gone off - dump it in your local corpo recycling yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

.....I think its the pee-paint currently on his hall stairs and landing walls thats bothering him :eek:

.....maybe if you repaint with Dulux and bring remains of paint back to retailer for reimbursement [and a good argument]....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Thaks Guys the paint was only bought in B&Q 2 days before painting so maybe it was lying around in there stock . Problem is i have used it all bar a small dribble in the end of the tin although the tin itself does not smell as bad as the hall ,I have put a plug in air freshner in the hall so maybe the smell will lessen with time . Cant imagine going into B&Q to complain that my hall smells like a dirty John . If the smell does not go i reckon i will have to get a similar colour by another maker and paint over it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I have no advice on the paint - but I may have something to offer on the smell. A couple of years ago I lived in a rented house and whenever we hoovered the carpet on the stairs, it would draw out a horrible smell - someone told us the carpet was probably rotten underneath - anyway the only thing that worked for us was to burn an incense stick. It really did work & in the end I used to light it before starting to hoover. I've also used it in my mothers house as she had a problem with her chimney and the smell of sooty smoke was almost impossible to get rid of - again the incense stick worked. I'm not sure what it is in them - but I just find them brilliant for getting rid of smells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

If you leave the windows open for a couple of days and/or paint over it the smell will go completely - happened to me with a ceiling last year, smell was gone once I aired the place out and put a second coat (which I was going to do anyway) of new paint on the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Thaks Guys the paint was only bought in B&Q 2 days before painting so maybe it was lying around in there stock . Problem is i have used it all bar a small dribble in the end of the tin although the tin itself does not smell as bad as the hall ,I have put a plug in air freshner in the hall so maybe the smell will lessen with time . Cant imagine going into B&Q to complain that my hall smells like a dirty John . If the smell does not go i reckon i will have to get a similar colour by another maker and paint over it .

Doesnt matter if there is a dribble,is there a customer satisfaction on tin? I once got a gallon of paint for daughters bedroom,had to give walls more than normal coats of paint to make it cover and even then it didnt look great.So I brought it back and told them I wanted money back,they quibbled a bit about being only a dribble left but It said on tin if not satisfied.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

There is a clear "paint / sealer" that you can paint over the paint.
    Colour stays the same but when it dries it should stop the smell.

As far as B&Q go, dont bother its not worth the effort (used to work there).
    However, if you *do* decide to try get your money back, ask to speak directly to the store manager or supervisor, dont bother with the chimps on the customer service desk, they are just trained to give the same answer to all returns "we cant refund but we might exchange".

(If you bought it in B&Q liffey valley, PM me and Ill give you a name of somone to speak to).

The clear sealer should work tho.

(Alternatively, you can start again from scratch but tbh I dont think that will get rid of the problem for long, smells have a habit of seeping through after a time).

Hope you get sorted,

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Thanks for the info franknfurter ! would this be a common type of complaint that they would receive . when i open all the windows the smell seems to get worse almost as if the air is agitating the paint / smell . i really dont think i could be arsed going back to try and complain , her indoors has decided she wants the wood work colour changed so maybe good oul gloss paint on the wood work will mask the overall smellit if not i think ill try the sealer

Advertisement