Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRL: 2X07 - "The Other 48 Days" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 27-03-2006 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "THE OTHER 48 DAYS" -

Episode Title: "The Other 28 Days"
    Airdate: March 27th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

The harrowing first 48 days in the lives of the tail section survivors are revealed. Flashbacks reveal the point of view of Ana-Lucia, Mr. Eko, Bernard and Libby and other survivors as they landed on the other side of the island on the beach. As the days progress danger hits their camp as well when "The Others" start taking people against their will. The group moves inland, but unfortunately things become even worse when a member starts betraying the camp when it's revealed one was not on the flight.

Next New Episode: 2X08 - "Collision" - April 3rd 2006

What did you think of "The Other 48 Days"? 49 votes

0%
    12%
    deisedollybikoBartronilicArmaniJeanssNewHomerip2roar 6 votes
    26%
    Mr EElmoCrucifixmollserSpockertvnutzEamonnKeaneandrewiepokerwidowFuzzy_DunlopAgamemnonmikelmessiNUTZZ 13 votes
    42%
    BeanotimeoutjonskisunbeamPullMyFinger!weemcdLagunaJBoyle4evayom 12 EspressiCatillaCountryWiseshanewBinkafobsfaigstrishw78**Timbuk2**kellxor.1337QuadLeo 21 votes
    10%
    Killaqueen!!!EARMUFFSdemanBFassassinlostirishgirl 5 votes
    4%
    Necronomiconkeevita 2 votes
    0%
    2%
    Niall123 1 vote
    0%
    2%
    Johnny_the_fox 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Phew!... last-minute discussion thread this week! :D

Hope ye enjoyed this one - twas a good one anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Wow!! Thought that was a excellent eppy, it was really good to see their story and what made them the way they are. At least we got to see it was Ana that shot Shannon for definate and it was cool to see that they were the ones that picked up Boone's distress call...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Very good. I have to commend the makers for doing this at all. I think the average show would pick the lazier option and not explain what happened to the other crew, just leave it to our imaginations. While leaving things to the imagination can be good in some cases, I really like that they gave us the other 48 days.
    EDIT: Plus it packed in some nice exposition, specifically about the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Good episode, but a little let down that they did take off from the great ending last week. Good to see them delving a little deeper into the tail-section characters.
    I thought it was a slightly too obvious that Nathan was the mole, afterall, the show prides itself on being vague and not leaving many answers. I thought Goodwin was a bit shady, but dismissed that because I could have sworn I heard Anna Lucia say last week, "What about Goodwin?" or something to that effect when they were talking about the deaths/disappearences of the other survivors.
    Reminds me of the second episode of the season, when instead of taking off from a cliff-hanger ending they opted to show the whole sequence again from a different perspective. A little frustrating.
    Good episode nonetheless. I gave it a 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Top notch stuff. I particularly liked that they powered through to present day and skipped all the background stories. Nothing new was added to the general story but I don't mind waiting a week now that I have the lowdown on the second survivor team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

It was good to see that one again. Definitely one of the better Eps of Season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye,this was the start of a run of very good episodes,next week and the week after are also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

Yup , I enjoyed it , thought at the start that they might drag it out over a few episodes but was happy that they did it all in one night .

Question : I could swear I know nathan from something else , anyone know from where ? , thought it was Party of Five , but I never watched that , only caught bits of it here and there . Either that or was he the buddy of ( and here is where I get really vague ) the guy that owned the bowling alley and was also a lawyer in small town america .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,055 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jonski wrote:
    .. I could swear I know nathan from something else , anyone know from where ? , thought it was Party of Five , but I never watched that , only caught bits of it here and there . Either that or was he the buddy of ( and here is where I get really vague ) the guy that owned the bowling alley and was also a lawyer in small town america .
    You may have seen the guy who played Nathan in the 'Scrubs' episode on RTE2 before-hand where he played Eliott's boyfriend, Jake.

And yes, he was also in 'Ed' (the show you've referring to with the bowling alley - feckin' amazing show also.. very under-rated!)

Hope this helped!

PS - his full filmography is here!

He played a boyfriend of whatsherface in Scrubs at the end of Season 4 and beginning of season 5

• Advertisement

Snap Basq ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

jonski wrote:
    Yup , I enjoyed it , thought at the start that they might drag it out over a few episodes but was happy that they did it all in one night .

Question : I could swear I know nathan from something else , anyone know from where ? , thought it was Party of Five , but I never watched that , only caught bits of it here and there . Either that or was he the buddy of ( and here is where I get really vague ) the guy that owned the bowling alley and was also a lawyer in small town america .

ed?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

It was frustrating at the end that they went no further than the shooting. Even if they did one scene more it would be great. But no, there's too much to cover, you'd need a full episode to do it.

I don't dislike Ana Lucia so much now. I thought she was just a cranky bitch, but she seemed chilled out enough at the beginning and then became more and more tense, as she was concerned for everyone's welfare. Her instincts were usually accurate (apart from the radio transmission), and she did a good job of protecting everyone by being a little extreme. You can tell she was a bit hesitant to boss people around at first, but that as things more and more things went wrong, she realised she should be taking more control to keep people safe. This episode showed her to be really smart and brave, and I think if I hadn't seen it, I would've thought she deserved any abuse she's about to get from Sayid. I suppose they had no reason to believe that there was anyone out there that wasn't out to kill them.

I recognise the air hostess from Cold Feet I think.

I'm kind of suspicious that she has had a child at some point.

I didn't really get to hear the coversation Ana and Goodwin had.
    Was Nathan one of the others, and Goodwin killed him anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Fridge wrote:

I didn't really get to hear the coversation Ana and Goodwin had.
    Was Nathan one of the others, and Goodwin killed him anyway?

No, Nathan was on the plane, Goodwin killed him becuse he was afraid that Ana was getting closer to the truth. If she realised that Nathan wasn't one of the others her suspicions would have changed to someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Good episode but does anyone know when it's repeated ? My better half was out and I don't fancy having to explain everything to her through the next episode. It doesn't appear to be on Friday or Saturday (due to the rumpy) of this week like it has been recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

weemcd wrote:

Yup , Josh Randall is his name and yes he played Nathan

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So bascially, this is what the first season of Lost could have looked like had they decided to speed things up.

A good episode, though I think the whole Mr. Eko character is a little comic book, and I did suspect Goodwin from the start (he just looked kinda shifty).

Not the amazing episode some posts beforehand had led to me to believe it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

Thought it was a good episode as well but the last few minutes when they quickly went through the events of last weeks show annoyed me.
    It does throw up lots of questions though.
    Like what was the darma place the other survivors found? It looked more like a tool shed to me than a bunker. It also made it clear that the Island was uner quarantine from the sign on the inside of the door. But it would only make sense to have that there if there was more to the bunker/tool shed than we saw.
    Also, why did the tail end survivors have such a hard time of it compared to the front section of the plane? The "others" the front section of the plane have had to deal with seemed only intrested in Walt and not in any of the other survivors and Eathan Rom only wanted Claire and her baby - so is there two groups of "others" with different agendas?
    Can't wait to see what the importance of the glass eye in the other bunker was? That should be interesting!
    Also - what's Anna Lucia's background. She can really take care of herself, better than you would expect a person with no training to do. So between her fighting skills, her ability to notice things (like Goodwin not being wet), her CPR skills, her ability to interogate and the way she was holding the gun - I reckon she is or was a cop at some point. What do the rest of you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭EARMUFFS

Earthhorse wrote:
    So bascially, this is what the first season of Lost could have looked like had they decided to speed things up.

A good episode, though I think the whole Mr. Eko character is a little comic book, and I did suspect Goodwin from the start (he just looked kinda shifty).

Not the amazing episode some posts beforehand had led to me to believe it would be.

I enjoyed this episode and imo it has been the best of season two so far. The most striking thing i felt was that the new characters are more believable than the original losties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 evil_billy

jdwals wrote:
    Also - what's Anna Lucia's background. She can really take care of herself, better than you would expect a person with no training to do. So between her fighting skills, her ability to notice things (like Goodwin not being wet), her CPR skills, her ability to interogate and the way she was holding the gun - I reckon she is or was a cop at some point. What do the rest of you think?

The part where she recognised that the knife was US Army and at least 20 years old would suggest that she was in, or knew alot about, the Army.

Did anyone else notice when she asked Goodwin about the kids in that sequence did he say "the kids are ok" or just "kids are ok". It was while he was talking about 'good people', so it could have some bearing on the others reasoning.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Very good episode, i just hope that they dont go through all the backgrounds of the tail survivors of the crash as i find them boring to be honest!
    The others arent too scary anymore though, i mean Goodwin was normal enough pity Ana didnt get more info from him!
    Is it Goodwins body that Michael tripped over in last weeks episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

EARMUFFS wrote:
    I enjoyed this episode and imo it has been the best of season two so far. The most striking thing i felt was that the new characters are more believable than the original losties.

I thought this was an excellent, answered a number of questions that had been raised from previous weeks (how did the tailies' group diminish so much, who are the kids, why is ana-lucia such a stone cold bitch, why wasn't mr. ecko not talking, and how do they get the figs into the fig rolls).
    I thought the scene between Goodwin and ana-lucia was very well done. The way they were swapping the knife back and forth made for some very tense viewing.
    Goodwin said that they didn't take Nathan because he wasn't a "good person". Can we presume that the original group of losties are not good people which is why they haven't been snatched. the exception being claire's baby and Walt. Presumably they were taken cos they're kids and can't do much harm. And if that is right, how do the Others judge who is good and evil.
    Another interesting point was raised by one of the characters, how do we know the people who were snatched are being killed? Maybe the others are trying to build a utopian society? Or just want to give the good people on the island some tea and biscuits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 jdwals

I think he said that "they" were better off so I think both the kids are with the Others. I think that there was an issue when the Others legs were seen by Jin and Eko that it looked like the kid holding the bear changed clothes. Could this be that it was really both of the kids, the boy and the girl?

jdwals wrote:
    Also, why did the tail end survivors have such a hard time of it compared to the front section of the plane? The "others" the front section of the plane have had to deal with seemed only intrested in Walt and not in any of the other survivors and Eathan Rom only wanted Claire and her baby - so is there two groups of "others" with different agendas?

A cop is a good guess. I was thinking some sort of military background myself.

It appears that the others are primarily, though not exclusively, concerned with children. Goodwin also gave the impression that the others believe themselves to be benevolent. That they were protecting the people they were taking, but from what he does not say. He also said the people on the list were picked because they were 'good' people or words to that affect. This implies that they were singling out certain people, perhaps because they felt they could not 'protect' everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

jdwals wrote:
    I think he said that "they" were better off so I think both the kids are with the Others. I think that there was an issue when the Others legs were seen by Jin and Eko that it looked like the kid holding the bear changed clothes. Could this be that it was really both of the kids, the boy and the girl?

I think you're right, wasn't one of them carrying the remains of a teddy-bear that one of the kids was seen holding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Metacortex wrote:
    No, Nathan was on the plane, Goodwin killed him becuse he was afraid that Ana was getting closer to the truth. If she realised that Nathan wasn't one of the others her suspicions would have changed to someone else

yeah when they were sitting alone and she confronted him he said if you had cut off his finger and he still said he was on the plane you would have started to think you had the wrong person. not an exact quote but close enough.
    nachos wrote:
    I think you're right, wasn't one of them carrying the remains of a teddy-bear that one of the kids was seen holding?

yeah the little boy had the bear on the beach he dropped it but i think he picked it up and is seen with it again before he was taken, although did he pick it up heads a bit fuzzy. can anyone remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Wow what an episode? loved the way we flew through the 'other 48 days'. So the other Dharma Industries bunker was called Arrow (i'm guessing) I wonder what it was used for.

I think Eko must have been a refugee from some African nation maybe he took a vow of silence because he is a christian as in Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. He did say to Ana it took you 40 days to cry. He was silient for 40 days as Ana pointed out.

As for Ana I think some sort of military background. I also think that maybe she has a kid in the 'real world' that may have been taken from her. She did react differently to the kids beinging missing than the older people.

I was going to suggest that people were looking for a third gunman last week. But glad to see that point has been cleared up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Wasn't Bernard supposed to be in the bathroom when the plane crashed? I guess he must have sat down and belted up in an empty seat fairly rapidly on the way back if he was beside the dead guy in the trees at the start of the episode.

Good episode all in all I thought, linked in nicely with the raft survivors. Ana Lucia will probably be the only one to have a back story out of the tail survivors, and I guess that will be next week. Looking forward to seeing it.

I was expecting to see more of the bunker and thought it would be a clone of the 'Swan' hatch, as we saw in the orientation video Locke and Jack saw that there are four stations. (Does this mean we can expect to come across two more hatches with more stories?)

Whats the deal with Eko waiting 40 days to talk? Was it some sort of religious thing?

/edit (Perhaps we can expect an Eko back story too, I actually think he will be an interesting character.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

Gonna have to go against the flow here and say that, overall, that was a horrible episode. Yes, we got some nice insight into the tailies, especially Ana-Lucia and Eko, and had a LOT of questions answered but for the most part, it just felt overly rushed, cramming 48 days into one episode when it's taken 29 episodes for us to see what happened to the mid section survivors. It was also riddled with inconsistencies and screw ups, so much so that I'm not going to bother giving this episode my usual detailed analysis. Everyone has been telling me that this was going to be a fantastic episode but I'm very, very disappointed in it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Catilla

Anyone get the feeling that Said and Ana might have known each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Nope.

Ok so if Nathan was on the plane, why was he so dodgy when he was asked the questions by Ana? Was he in the loo before Charlie by any chance and maybe there would have been a shot of him coming out to verify he was in the loo? Or maybe he was hiding on the plane although that's a bit far fetched. I suposse there's more than one toilet on a plane like that though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah Lost might be getting back on track however .....

Rather then showing what the other survivers where doing when Micheal, Jin and Sawyer where in the hole, they gave us a good five minutes of Previously on LOST.

But at least it tells us something about the Others.

The actors playing the roles of the new survivors have really taken to the show very quickly.

Was Nathan in Taken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Good episode overall. The knife scene was very tense, I kept cringing when it was being passed back and forth!

I'm really hoping Eko gets a backstory cos he's a very interesting character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Was a very good episode, but I feel there's definitely been better. I quite liked the character changes we see in Eko and Ana Lucia. My view on her has changed completely and I now feel some likeness towards her.

It was quite good how the writers managed to fit it all in 45 mins, and I feel(Like traditional good ole Lost) we've been answered some questions and we now have more(For Example, what did Goodwin mean by saying "Only the good ones were on the list" or something like that.)

I'm giving it 8, as I feel we were cheated out of a cliffhanger for another week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Also, just to add a note, did anyone notice that Boone appartnley died on day 41 when we are only just after seeing day 48. In a space of about 10-12 eps, Boone is only a week dead. Seems like the maths don't add up does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Decent episode, by far best of the second series so far, but that's not to say it's anywhere near as good as most of the first series. Mr Ecko is an interesting character, it's an obvious insight, but I'm assuming he's supposed to be a Preacher/Priest, I'm getting this notion from the keeping silent for 40 days and longingly gazing at the Bible found in the bunker and the fact that he was the first the Others tried to take and, according to Goodwin, they only take 'Good' people.

I really, really dislike the character of Anna Lucia, every time she opens her mouth she spews sarcasm and confrontational bull****, if I was one of the group, I'd bury my foot up her arse. Why does she have such an attitude problem - is it a New York/Bronx/American thing?, who made her the 'leader' of that group anyway?.

I'm still annoyed that the creators/writers of Lost still employ this tactic of recapping something over and over again in recurrent episodes, in the way we watched the Desmond/Locke/Jack confrontation over and over again over the first four episodes of the series. I'm assuming this isn't the last time we'll see Shannon be shot, it's a sad factor of American television that grates people from other parts of the English speaking world, we don't have memories akin to Goldfish, we can retain information from previous episodes without the need to be shown again and again.

American television that grates people from other parts of the English speaking world, we don't have memories akin to Goldfish, we can retain information from previous episodes without the need to be shown again and again.

I have to say that it is very unusual to see recaps of other episode in US TV.

Generally they do have Previously on and next time on. (Both of which most UK and Irish channels edit out). With the exception of Lost and 24, neither of which are given next time on .... at the end of each episode. (Do they give a next time on when they are shown in the states?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

One of the best episodes of the series although I saw it back when it was shown on American telly it still is entertaining and I was glued to the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Quite good.
    Though I'll look forward to next week's episode when Ana has to deal with what's she's done and confront the others (on the beach).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Loved that episode... and thought it moved on good for Lost

Mr. Echo is weird (but cool) :)

Looking forward to next weeks episode

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

What I was thinking has been pretty much said here...

I do think it was a good episode, cos I liked the whole episode focussed on the tailies...they seem much more..believable.

I don't hate Ana as much as I used to, but it is convenient that she can fight, is good with a gun, is a good leader and notices stuff like Goodwin not being wet.

I was dreading that they'd actually go through the bits we've already seen (with Jin, Sawyer and Michael from the raft) so I was glad they skipped fast through that. And yeah, I thought Art was in the bathroom? Meh..

It was nice to see a bit of insight into the Others. They really do seem very normal. Just normal people...except they like to kidnap a few people here and there. :D Goodwin seemed attracted to Ana, especially in the bit in the morning when he was lying beside here smiling and said 'good morning'! So the others seem like polite fellows!

I shoud've paid more attention to days 4 8 15 16 23 and 42 to see if there was anything interesting...

Overall I think it was a good episode. I mean they had to do it, and although it was very rushed and not VERY well done..I think they did a good enough job. And I didn't mind having no advance from last week. Now we're all nicely brought up to the same point.

But I do have the feeling that Sayid and Ana know each other..possibly not but I dunno. Maybe Ana learnt to fight/hold a gun etc. in the army..maybe she was on the opposite side to Sayid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Maybe Ana learnt to fight/hold a gun etc. in the army..maybe she was on the opposite side to Sayid.
    I doubt it, Sayid appears to be in his early to mid thirties and was involved in the first Gulf War, Anna Lucia is no more than twenty six and would have been a child soldier if she was involved in the first Gulf War. I think Sayid is staring at her simply because she just shot Shannon (I hope Shannon doesn't make it tbh ;)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

i thought Bernard was supposed to be in the jax when the plane broke up. then why was he strapped into a seat that was stuck in a tree after the crash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I thought so too obl, sorry I called him 'Art' in my first post for some reason :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

He probably dove into the nearest seat. I doubht he'd survive a crash if he was unrestrained in the jax, in fairness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

He was probably just finished when the plane hit turbulance and strapped himself into the nearest seat, like Charlie did.

The last two post must be from the producers. What lame excuse can we put forward for all the holes in the story. God damn these writers.

Yeah I noticed that too but came to the conclusion the Bernard sat down before the crash.

Never noticed the fact that the numbers where used for each of the days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

whats going to happen when they get to day 108 then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

To go off topic again, does anyone know if and when this episode is repeated ?

One thing I keep forgetting to mention is near the end of the episode, after the shooting, someone says "What was that?". I think it was Mike and he was probably referring to the whispering but it looked like he might have seen something.

Jip, the repeats are usually on Saturday at 6.00. Someone (could have been you) mentioned earlier in the thread that it wouldn't be on this Saturday due to the "rumby" (I assume they meant rugby), but the Six Nations is finished as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement