Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Bike Q?

• 28-03-2006 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I know I'm speaking hypothetically here but hopefully I will have my full B driver's licence by the end of the summer & enough money to fund my first proper bike(had a moped for 2 years) & insurance.

I want something that I can take the A test on and it has to be cheap to insure. I was thinging along the lines of the Honda CB250 or Yamaha Virago 250 but am open to almost anything as long as it looks and goes well!

Suggestions please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Magown3

Many of the small capacity cruisers would be the cheapest to insure but if you want something that looks a bit special and goes and sounds fantastic, I'd suggest a Honda Hornet 250.

I had one as my first bike (pic attached) but the only problem is that they are insurance group 6 and, depending on how old you are, might be a bit on the expensive side to insure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My rule of thumb (after making many calls) is that Carole Nash prefer older bikes (ie, lower quotes) and Aon prefer newer ones! You have a NCB from your moped so CN will probably be cheaper (especially if you're over 25). To get the cheapest quote from them (even just TPO) the older the bike the better. The best quote I got was on the 1982 GSX250 I eventually bought! I found old Viraogos would also be quite cheap but are very rare here but you'd pic up a 1992 one in the UK alright. The problem really (I found) is that 250s are the minimum practical bike you'll find to do an A test on so they are popular, even CB250's I found hard to come by here. You wouldn't have that problem in the UK as their licencing makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Might I sugest a BROS? Damn nice bikes. On the 33BHP mark.. or so insurance companys seem to think. Works like a dream and is very nippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sutty wrote:
    Might I sugest a BROS? Damn nice bikes. On the 33BHP mark.. or so insurance companys seem to think. Works like a dream and is very nippy.
    good work there sutty, glad you remembered..this time :D

another cheap choice is the 400cc honda steed, it is only group 4 & looks really nice + they are usuallly cheap enough

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/435604/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

madrab wrote:
    good work there sutty, glad you remembered..this time :D

OH!!! I so knew you would say that :p

• Advertisement

sutty wrote:
    OH!!! I so knew you would say that :p
    i learned you good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

That Hornet 250 looks great, think the insurance could be an issue. Forgot to mention that I'll be 19 buying the bike so I'm going to get screwed on the insurance thats why a low insurance group is a big issue for me!

I was talking to a mate of mine who works for Honda in town & he said the Bros 400 or CB250 would be a good bet. I Fancy the Hornet but insurance could be an issue. The Bros is a nice bike too & could pick one up fairly cheap, not lookn to spend much more than €1500 on the bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

I can also recommend the hornet, but you havent a hope of buying one for 1500 (unless its in bits), you would want around 3k for a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Is there anywhere I can get a list of bikes and their insurance groups?
    BikeBuyers Guide used to have in in thir blue pages but they didn't have older bikes like the Hornet, BROS & CBR 250

found this a while ago, though dont know how accurate it is now

• Advertisement

oops double post

Advertisement