Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slayer's "seasons in the abyss" is IDENTICAL to black sabbath's "black sabbath"

• 28-03-2006 4:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

at least in the beginning. i don't have the song "seasons in the abyss" but i'm pretty confident it's the same thing. i don't really care but i just thought i would point this out.:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlackSabbath

well, i do care, but to an extent. they better had gave credit to black sabbath for this. if not, that's stealing and you don't steal the band that created heavy metal, especially if it's the first track on their first album.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Eh... Slightly similar, not identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

OMG no way!!! :eek: Ehhhh... there are 11 notes to choose from, you're bound to run into similarities sooner or later though if I recall correctly Seasons In The Abyss features a ghost bend from B to Bb. Oh and Black Sabbath is G to C# those Slayer guys did their homework. Both songs feature the famous tritone, long since linked with the devil and possibly the most popular chord sequence in Metal. Did you know Ice T sampled it crossed with the beat from When The Levee Breaks for the song Midnight on his Original Ganster album? Say what you want but the man has great taste ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

From now on I think everytime Doctor J posts a reply, any other post should just be "What Doctor J said tbh" :P

Doctor J wrote:
    OMG no way!!! :eek: Ehhhh... there are 11 notes to choose from, you're bound to run into similarities sooner or later though if I recall correctly Seasons In The Abyss features a ghost bend from B to Bb. Oh and Black Sabbath is G to C# those Slayer guys did their homework. Both songs feature the famous tritone, long since linked with the devil and possibly the most popular chord sequence in Metal. Did you know Ice T sampled it crossed with the beat from When The Levee Breaks for the song Midnight on his Original Ganster album? Say what you want but the man has great taste ;)

it's the most popular chord because black sabbath did it.:cool: regarding ice t, these rappers need to make their own beats or stop living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

it's the most popular chord because black sabbath did it.:cool: regarding ice t, these rappers need to make their own beats or stop living.

Or maybe it's the most popular because of the satanic reference. I'm not denying that Black Sabbath have a huge influence over all metal but if you're going to nitpick little details like this then stop listening to Black Sabbath and go listen to some old blues records.

John2 wrote:
    Or maybe it's the most popular because of the satanic reference. I'm not denying that Black Sabbath have a huge influence over all metal but if you're going to nitpick little details like this then stop listening to Black Sabbath and go listen to some old blues records.

i listen to blues rock. i listen to everything that's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

i heard slayer saying before that it was an homage to Black sabbath...chill out op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

it's the most popular chord because black sabbath did it.:cool:
    i think you have a point Mr Sabbath, with your "bands shouldnt steal from Sabbath" view. in fact, i agree so strongly, i reckon we should just hunt out every band that ever stole anything from Sabbath and destroy all their music. hope no one likes thrash metal, that has a LOT of open E strumming, quite clearly stolen from Children of the Grave & Symptom of the Universe. Doom metal is most definitely boned, especially true doom, tracks like Black Sabbath & Electric Funeral have had a lot of influence on that. Of course thrash, among other influences, was key to death metal, so lets get rid of that...actually, we should just get rid of all the metal in the world, ever, except for Sabbath, because obviously everyone has "stolen" from them, directly or indirectly, and as our humble threadstarter points out, thats just not on.

by the way, the intros arent THAT similar. the guitars are similar enough, certainly not identical, unless the listener is musically deaf.

It's like Highlander: in the end there can be only SABBATH!

• Advertisement

Arucard wrote:
    i think you have a point Mr Sabbath, with your "bands shouldnt steal from Sabbath" view. in fact, i agree so strongly, i reckon we should just hunt out every band that ever stole anything from Sabbath and destroy all their music. hope no one likes thrash metal, that has a LOT of open E strumming, quite clearly stolen from Children of the Grave & Symptom of the Universe. Doom metal is most definitely boned, especially true doom, tracks like Black Sabbath & Electric Funeral have had a lot of influence on that. Of course thrash, among other influences, was key to death metal, so lets get rid of that...actually, we should just get rid of all the metal in the world, ever, except for Sabbath, because obviously everyone has "stolen" from them, directly or indirectly, and as our humble threadstarter points out, thats just not on.

by the way, the intros arent THAT similar. the guitars are similar enough, certainly not identical, unless the listener is musically deaf.

the guy with a problem here is certainly you, seeing as i was done with this and you came and ran your mouth. deaf me? i haven't heard seasons in the abyss in months. also, you shouldn't care what i say about a band (slayer) that openly admitted that they suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Even if Slayer hadn't admitted it was an homage, it still wouldn't bother me.

This thread is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

the guy with a problem here is certainly you, seeing as i was done with this and you came and ran your mouth. deaf me? i haven't heard seasons in the abyss in months. also, you shouldn't care what i say about a band (slayer) that openly admitted that they suck.
    sorry man, i forgot the world revolved around you. next time i want to bring up a point and, well, exercise a right to free speech, i'll remember to take you into account. and in case you hadn't noticed, i made no comment regarding your feelings towards Slayer, so what makes you assume i care? make sure to read posts thoroughly from now on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What a pile of **** this has become. Black Sabbath - cool the jets and engage your brain when making comments in here. This isn't a competition to see who can out-Metal everyone else, it is a discussion forum. If the discussion turns into stupid bitch-slapping sessions like this threads will be locked and holidays will be taken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement