Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles in High Definition..Completed

Options
  • 28-03-2006 4:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles in High Definition
    RobotechTheShadowChronicles.jpg
    Before you read on, I just have to say that this is long awaited good news for all Robotech fans, as I grew up watching Robotech on The Super Channel and loved it ever since…

At Anime Expo 2004, Harmony Gold USA revealed that the latest Robotech sequel was in production to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Robotech in 2005. The title of the feature-length pilot was originally announced under the name Shadow Force, but the name of the new story arc is confirmed to be Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles. This project was initially met with skepticism from the fan community due to Harmony Gold's spotty track record of completing Robotech sequels and spinoffs in past decades. The first teaser trailer debuted one year later to thunderous applause at Anime Expo 2005. An official trailer http://www.theshadowchronicles.com/trailer.php?id=nateaser&size=480 was more recently released on The Shadow Chronicles website to coincide with the NATPE conference, an industry trade show where broadcast rights to entertainment titles are bought and sold.
    The storyline is described as a direct continuation from the 85th (and final) episode of the original Robotech series, and perhaps also the Sentinels in an indirect way. The main plot seems to revolve around the Robotech Expeditionary Force's search for the missing Admiral Hunter and the SDF-3, but there are reports of a new adversary behind the scenes. Pre-release animatics and teaser trailer footage indicate that the production is a mixture of 2D animation and cel-shaded CG mecha animation.
    Though the involvement of original Japanese studio Tatsunoko Productions seems to be limited to early development, the actual digital production of animation is being handled by DR Movie, whose credits include the animation of Macross Plus and the in-between animation of Yukikaze. Co-director Tommy Yune said in a Newtype USA interview (republished on the official Robotech website) that the producers "consulted extensively" with Kenji Terada, a writer on Genesis Climber Mospeada (one of the three series adapted into the 1985 Robotech series).
    DC Comics’ Wildstorm label released Robotech: Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, a comic prequel series bridging the end of the aborted Sentinels storyline to The Shadow Chronicles. Each of the issues features a "behind the scenes" article about the animation production.
    Kevin McKeever, operations coordinator at Robotech.com/Harmony Gold, was able to confirm in February 2006 that the pilot movie had been completed. The finished film was screened theatrically for the cast and crew on March 8, 2006. McKeever also stated in a panel at the 2006 New York Comic-Con that earlier discussions with a potential distributor had failed due to contract terms that Harmony Gold considered unfavorable. No distributor for any medium, including DVD or television, has yet been announced by Harmony Gold.
    I’ll be keeping an eye out for the DVD…

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 niall06/2005

Yeah, The High Definition animation looks really good, I’ve followed the series and collected it since the 80’s and it’s great to see a continuation after all these's years.
    The only thing is how long will it be until we get it in Ireland, -ether on tell or dvd. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Aah, you two guys may be able to help me. Only recently gotten back into Robotech and have so far picked up episodes 1-60 (37-60 haven't arrived yet so don't spoil it for me). I'm guessing there's a third set of 12 episodes in The Masters series but....is there also a fourth or are episodes 73-85 totally unrelated?

p.s. If you could recommend some other Mecha stuff that relatively easy to pick up, I'd appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

i only followed the Macross Saga

01 - Booby trap 02 - Countdown 03 - Space Fold
    04 - The Long Wait 05 - Transformation 06 - Blitzkrieg
    07 - Bye-bye Mars 08 - Sweet Sixteen 09 - Miss Macross
    10 - Blind Game 11 - First Contact 12 - The Big Escape
    13 - Blue Wind 14 - Gloval's Report 15 - Homecoming
    16 - Battle Cry 17 - Phantasm 18 - Farewell, Big Brother
    19 - Bursting Point 20 - Paradise Lost 21 - A New Dawn
    22 - Battle Hymn 23 - Reckless 24 - Showdown
    25 - Wedding Bells 26 - The Messenger 27 - Force of Arms
    28 - Reconstruction Blues 29 - The Robotech Masters 30 - Viva Miriya
    31 - Khyron's Revenge 32 - Broken Heart 33 - A Rainy Night
    34 - Private Time 35 - Season's Greetings 36 - To the Stars

and the 1986 film Robotech the movie. - i also have (Robotech II: The Sentinels, this film is a Continuation - after the 36 - Episode (To the Stars). some good reading on the problems they had related to Sentinels II -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech#Robotech_II:_The_Sentinels_.281986.2C_cancelled.29

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Spoderman wrote:
    p.s. If you could recommend some other Mecha stuff that relatively easy to pick up, I'd appreciate it
    Martian Successor Nadesico was pretty good. It's mainly a comedy series.. but there are some great battles in it, and the running plot turned out to be pretty good in the end.

Not too sure about those cell-shaded Veritech fighters there though... it looks too much like that rubbish Zoids cartoon series.

Advertisement