Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burned out Car in ballybane

Options
  • 28-03-2006 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

seemingly there was very bad traffic near the ballybane road yesterday evening as it was closed off by police because of a car found burned out with a passenger in the front passenger seat.
    anyone one else hear about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

All over the news this morning - Gardai are investingating the suspicious circumstances
    Gardaí in Galway appealed for information today to help identify a body which was discovered in a burnt-out car.

The vehicle was found at Rocklands Avenue, Ballybane, yesterday morning and may have originally been light blue in colour, possibly a Mazda, and had a UK registration number.

Gardai have not yet been established if the body was that of a man or a woman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The car was burnt out on friday or saturday night and the body was found in the burnt out car yesterday . The guards who looked at the burnt out car on friday or saturday cannot recall seeing a body but maybe thats because they never looked at it properly . Its in a part of Galway where there are so many burnt out cars that they are not that noteworthy in themselves.

In case the body was not there when they looked , meaning the car was burnt out twice :p , they are now investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Its in a part of Galway where there are so many burnt out cars that they are not that noteworthy in themselves.

I don't think Ballybane is any worse than other parts of the City in fairness.

I hear a house in or around the Foster Court area was broken into , car keys and subsequently a car were stolen from it. Seems they crashed into 2 other cars on Sunday night on a roundabout in the city.

Cops think they left the car in the Rockland area and later returned to burn it out. 2 lads that handed themselves in last night are claiming they never seen the guy asleep in the back of it !!

That's what I hear now. The truth will follow I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

2 lads that handed themselves in last night are claiming they never seen the guy asleep in the back of it !!

That's what I hear now. The truth will follow I guess.

I heard 2 guy's handed themselves in but that the body was in the boot of the car!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

daveg wrote:
    I heard 2 guy's handed themselves in but that the body was in the boot of the car!!!!

two brothers, related to the victim. there were his cousins. Rumours abounding that it was a joy riding incident that went wrong. But its hard to imagine.

• Advertisement

there were his cousins

Names are being mentioned and it seem's they were all members of the traveller community.

Apparently there was a taxi involved in this somewhere. The taxi driver I was chatting to about this didnt give me all the details, so can someone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hving lived in Ballybrit for three years, I've seen plenty of burnt out cars in Ballybane. TBH Ballybrit, Ballybane, Castlepark have gotten themsleves a realy bad name and its fully deserved.
    But holy f**k, did someone die in the back seat of this car? Searched the RTE website and didn't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Far be it from me to stir ****, but I heard there was two McDonagh's and a Sweeney in the car..

Sweeney was in the back seat, the two Mcdonaghs forgot he was in the backseat and torched the car after the joyriding.

Could just be hearsay tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Apparently there was a taxi involved in this somewhere. The taxi driver I was chatting to about this didnt give me all the details, so can someone confirm this?

There was a taxi involved alright i was working on sunday nite - monday morning and their was a hit and run in the ballybane area the taxi is a write off, and in case your thinking i work in the taxi trade myself:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Far be it from me to stir ****, but I heard there was two McDonagh's and a Sweeney in the car

Yep those be the names I'm hearing too. Deceased being in his 30's.

Poor lad.He won't be able to sell any more generators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

This is the most realistic version I have heard.

3 guys (2 sweeneys + 1 mcdonagh) stole the car after robbing the keys from a house near collage road. They changed the plates to UK plates and drove around (possibly while drunk) They were involved in a 3 car crash at the morris roundabout but then drove away, they dumped the car in a hurry and tom mcdonagh returned to the car to burn it out beliving the other two had ran away too, he did not see sweeney in the back as he was either asleep (drunk) or knocked out/injured from the (bad) crash.

Also linked to this was a man who was stabbed in the face outside kates bar on tuesday and there was a (unconfirmed) shooting today.

I dont know if what really happened will fully come out, but It seems it was a horrible accident, I dont care who they are, nobody deserves a death like that.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

man galway is really going downhill in a big way.

Its not to long ago some guy got stabbed on shop street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just goes to show.....get involved in crime, even of the petty kind, and you never know where it's going to end up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Also linked to this was a man who was stabbed in the face outside kates bar on tuesday and there was a (unconfirmed) shooting today.

Confirm the shooting (castle park yesterday) and the stabbing . Feuding is underway .

The news of the shooting was kept generally quiet except by TG4 who did send a camera crew .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I wouldnt say Galway is going downhill in a big way.
    The body in the car was big news and rightly so.

Barring the shooting and the body in the car-murders and gun crime are not getting more prevalant in the same way that they are in Dublin.

The stabbing in the bar near the shopping center was allegedly not linked to the burnt out car. (This was in the advertiser today)

There is a lot of small scale crime in the city, car thefts, joyriding, a few things that seem to be increasing in instance. Not bad though compared to other cities. The authorities should be able to keep a handle on it though as it is a relatively small city with a few major trouble makers, I would hope that they should get a handle on it before it gets like Limerick with one or two families ruining the reputation of the whole city. God knows how many crimes these people involved in this whole burnt out car have commited over the past while-over the course of the weekend alone they seem to be responsible for half dozen seperate incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Burn them all tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

I don't think Ballybane is any worse than other parts of the City in fairness.

I hear a house in or around the Foster Court area was broken into , car keys and subsequently a car were stolen from it. Seems they crashed into 2 other cars on Sunday night on a roundabout in the city.

Ah no ballybane is terrible. The first time I visited an (ex) girlfriend's house there, lo we saw a ford feshtie blazing away merrily just outside the drive. That didn't last too long. Talk about old flames ha? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Ive been living in Galway now for nearly 4 years.
    Living in Glasan beside ballybane and i have never seen much happen around the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

man galway is really going downhill in a big way.

Its not to long ago some guy got stabbed on shop street

I agree with Kippy, Galway isn't going downhill, it's just a natural if unpleasant feature of living in a city. I hope the Gardai gets to grips with any small problems before they become big problems. The worst thing that ever happened to Limerick was the Garda numbers being cut in the mid 1980's, as soon as Garda numbers were increased, headline crimes decreased dramatically but they've left a culture of 15 years of under-policing behind. Galway is still a really great and safe place, lets hope this is just a temporary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

How do you get five minks in a Mazda?

Two Wards in the back, two wards in the front, and a Sweeney in the ashtray....

Robbed from Sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 honest lad

you eveil basterd,may u rott in hell,for posten dat comment...................

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Ahhhh.....I wasted 30 secs reading the thread until I saw the date....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Jaysus, opened an account to dredge up a five year old thread?

Great stuff.

Pity that joke isn't funnier though. I can do better than that.

I read about 10 posts before i checked the date.

The whole time thinking ''Jesus a body in a burned out car, I remember something similar a few years ago''.
    Then I got to the part about them being travellers and checked the date(realising the details were the same as before)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

honest lad wrote: »
    you eveil basterd,may u rott in hell,for posten dat comment...................

<needless remark removed>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Jeez, a lot more speculation and information allowed on thread years ago!!!

It actually shows that today's stricter approach within the forum for these sort of incidents is better, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement