Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clingy Dalmation

Options
  • 28-03-2006 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I got a dalmation two months ago - he's five months old now. He's not all bad, he was house trained within a week even though he was in a an outdoor run before we got him.
    He is slightly spoiled cos I've been letting him sleep in my room. We have another dog who does her own thing and likes to sleep in peace in one of the back rooms of the house. They're not too dirty so they do as they please. But he is really CLINGY. he follows me everywhere even when he's exhausted he gets up to check where I'm going. I wake up and he has his head on a pillow. if there is a door closed separating him from me or the other dog he has a huge issue with it and won't stop crying and whining. I have to confine them to the kitchen (they've a dog flap) and garden when I go to work. Will he grow out of this clingyness or do I need to do something to make him more independent?
    Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He's been spoilt and now thinks he's place is always by your side mabey contact a dog trainer who can come to your home and give you a few hints and tips they will be able to see what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right first hand, in the mean time if you can get other people to take him out for walkies and play with him, don't make a fuss of him when you leave the house or have to go anywhere.
    Leave him alone for short spaces of time and build it up, keep him busy with kong toys while you're gone. Mabey get the other dog more involved with him in pay sessions.
    Here's a link to behaviourists
    http://www.irishanimals.ie/care/behaviour.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Hi Kerrymaid
    I soo relate! See my post on 'clingy doggie'.
    At least mine isn't allowed upstairs at night so that's not a problem tho he will howl if my husband isn't there when I go to bed.
    I've been using a homeopathic remedy from Homeopets (I'll find the website) which I got froma vet nurse, for a week now and maybe it's my imaginagition but he seems a bit more independant and spends time out in the garden on his own, esp with his bone.
    I'm not fussing him at all when I come home - before it was a bit of a love fest and closing doors for short periods.
    I can tell it's going to take time but i'll perservere, cos it can be such a pain and I probably created the situation myself :)
    Hope this helps you
    Goffie

Advertisement