Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Service Checkout

Options
  • 28-03-2006 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any thought on these and using a credit or debit card. When i was there i used the self service, along with my credit card. All u have to do is swipe it through and thats it, no signature, no pin nothing, and out comes your receipt. I used Tesco, not sure where else uses these and if their policy is different. Anyway just wondering if its legal, im sure it is, but do retailers not HAVE to check PIN's/SIGNATURE's??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

that's surprising, normally the tesco machines force you to call an attendant so that you can sign a CC reciept.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mel123 wrote:
    but do retailers not HAVE to check PIN's/SIGNATURE's??
    obviously not if you can order on line, or give your number over the phone.

The attendent is called only when over a certain value, I think about €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

might well be for larger transactions, my bill is normally around the €100 mark

Iago wrote:
    the €100 mark
    on the self service aisle!? It is meant to be 10 items of less in my local tescos, drives me mad since many times people are there with trolleys with a full weeks shopping, takes them AGES to get through, since the attendent comes over about 5 times due to all the problems with weights etc. "unauthorised item in the package area". They never seem to enforce the 10 items rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

rubadub wrote:
    on the self service aisle!? It is meant to be 10 items of less in my local tescos, drives me mad since many times people are there with trolleys with a full weeks shopping, takes them AGES to get through, since the attendent comes over about 5 times due to all the problems with weights etc. "unauthorised item in the package area". They never seem to enforce the 10 items rule.

Frequently in my local tesco it's faster to go through the 'service' tills, than wait in line at the self service ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

In my local tesco, there is small self service for 10 items or less, and u defo wouldnt be able to scan a trolley load thru due to having to put them on the belt to be weighed, and then there is large checkouts, like the ones with the cashier, for your trolley, where u can do it urself.
    Ive paid up to 100 with my cc and never had anyone come over to me, i just thought it was a bit dodgy.

mel123 wrote:
    In my local tesco, there is small self service for 10 items or less, and u defo wouldnt be able to scan a trolley load thru due to having to put them on the belt to be weighed,
    Thats the problem in mine. They fill up the loading bay thingy, then empty it and have to keep calling over the assistant to punch in codes and reset the weighing thing. takes ages

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Erm, you do know if they have no pin or sig, should you decide to tell the card company you were never there that day/it wasnt you/the amount is wrong, they have no comeback and youd be refunded? Big risk for them if you the dishonest sort...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Thistopic has already been discussed in another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

As far as I know, there are cameras on the self service check-outs, so if someone reports a dodgy transaction, they can look it up

Advertisement