Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why dont Ryanair offer multicity trips on their website

• 28-03-2006 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭

Booked a flight this morning on Ryanair from Dublin to Manchester and back via Liverpool.

Why can't there website offer the option to do this as it as it causes me to book 2 different flights in 2 different currencies.

Was going to ring them up to book it but they use a premiun no and could cost you a fortune to do it as it would take several mins.

If anyone works in Ryanair on here it is a suggest for development for there website.

I have no problem with Ryanair a whole just would be a nice addition to their website

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Trampas wrote:
    Booked a flight this morning on Ryanair from Dublin to Manchester and back via Liverpool.

Why can't there website offer the option to do this as it as it causes me to book 2 different flights in 2 different currencies.

Was going to ring them up to book it but they use a premiun no and could cost you a fortune to do it as it would take several mins.

If anyone works in Ryanair on here it is a suggest for development for there website.

I have no problem with Ryanair a whole just would be a nice addition to their website
    Ryanair is a point to point carrier only. I think the main advantage of this for them is that they aren't responsible if you miss a connecting flight (even if it is with them) due to a flight being delayed whereas they would be liable otherewise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Also they don't have to transfer your baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Simple;

Because they are Ryanair! I was away a few weekends ago with mates to Eastern Europe. Went with Ryanair - if I can help it I will never fly Ryanair again, it's just so uncomfortable now.

- Seats don't recline.

- Horrible interior on their 737-800 series.

- Very cramped.

- No basket for bits and bobs in front of you.

Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

enterprise wrote:
    - Seats don't recline.

- Very cramped.

- No basket for bits and bobs in front of you.
    Sounds a bit like the dart/luas/bus, and a lot of the time they charge more than ryanair. Christ they dont even give a meal on the dart!

I was on Bus Eireann last week and the bus smelt like old people. Imagine. Old People!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote:
    Sounds a bit like the dart/luas/bus, and a lot of the time they charge more than ryanair. Christ they dont even give a meal on the dart!

How can you possible compare a 3 hour flight to a DART / LUAS journey? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Compare it to a 6 hour Bus Eireann journey or 4 hour Irish Rail journey then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think what the OP meant was that the website won't let you book the following journey as one booking (rather than as two one-way journeys):

Outbound: Dublin-Manchester
    Return: Liverpool-Dublin

Nothing to do with guaranteeing connections or "point-to-point" or transferring bags. It would still be the passenger's own responsibility to show up on time for all flights and to get the bags from Manchester to Liverpool for the return leg. Some other airlines' websites will let you do this (e.g. Aer Lingus I think).
    AFAIK Ryanair wouldn't lose anything by letting people do this, because I think they charge their credit card fees per flight sector, not per booking. The advantage to the customer would be an easier to use website and dealing in only one currency. Ryanair's bookings website is generally excellent so I don't see why they shouldn't offer this facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thats is what I mean lostinsuperfunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

If they allowed you to have multiple flights on the same booking, there would be an inferred duty to compensate you if the first flight was delayed and you missed the second. If you fly AerLingus and miss a connection due to a mistake by AerLingus they will do what they can to help you. Ryanair doesn't want to deal with this so makes it easy for everyone by keeping things seperate.

When you fly ryanair and miss a connection they can easily say you should have arranged to get to the airport earlier just in case there was a delay. If they are the ones bringing you to the airport (and selecting the time you arrive at), this defence is gone.

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote:
    Compare it to a 6 hour Bus Eireann journey or 4 hour Irish Rail journey then.

Bus Eireann vehicle's have seats that recline.

On a train you can get up and take a walk around, go to the dining car and in 1st Class seats on new trains they have reclining seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

If they allowed you to have multiple flights on the same booking, there would be an inferred duty to compensate you if the first flight was delayed and you missed the second
    But it would be no different from a normal return flight. What happens currently if you book a Dublin-Manchester-Dublin round trip on Ryanair and the outward leg is delayed, meaning you also miss the return leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

did you ask them (Ryanair) why they dont provide this service on their website?

To ring them is a premium no and it is quicker and cheaper to do it in 2 batches then over the phone.

I wouldn't expect any airline driving me from airport a to airport b.

Maybe someone in Ryanair (Employee) will see this and suggest it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,413 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The following website gives these local numbers for Ryanair

01-8121212 Head Office
    01-2497791 Bookings
    01-2497700 Customer Services Menu
    01-8121228 Customer Services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Ryanair's booking system isn't designed for multipoint flights. It could be modified, but would cost lots of money for bugger all extra revenue. Much easier to get customers to do the work.

enterprise wrote:

On a train you can get up and take a walk around, go to the dining car and in 1st Class seats on new trains they have reclining seats.

I'll look forward to that on my way to Sligo tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

enterprise wrote:
    - Seats don't recline.

If this is the case then I say well done Ryanair. Airplane seats are cramped enough without the midget in front deciding to recline his seat and crush your knees in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

If you want seats that recline you should pay more and use a different airline. Simple really ;)

ciaran76 wrote:
    If you want seats that recline you should pay more and use a different airline. Simple really ;)

Trust me I will!

Flew Aer Lingus a few times recently after a long break from it and the service was top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If this is the case then I say well done Ryanair. Airplane seats are cramped enough without the midget in front deciding to recline his seat and crush your knees in the process.
    Yup, gotta agree there. Or kids whose feet don't even touch the ground. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Or just slouch down in the seat.

George, midgets - damn right. They have a stranglehold over high-availability clothing in shops already.
    Size 11-13 socks are next to impossible to pickup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

More's the pity considering the abysmal seating on some of their vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

But it would be no different from a normal return flight. What happens currently if you book a Dublin-Manchester-Dublin round trip on Ryanair and the outward leg is delayed, meaning you also miss the return leg?

When you say multicity do you mean going to say Stanstead just to get a flight to another destination? ie flying A to C and only going to B for a flight.

Or do you mean that you're looking to take a holiday with a number of different destinations. ie you're flying to B for a holiday and then to C for a holiday.

If it's the first one, then this is different to a return flight. You're only interested in getting to C. The airline that allows connections is giving implied affirmation that the flight it is offering from A to B will get you to B in time to get to C. If the first flight is delayed for whatever reason, it causes problems for them bacause you're only in B because they made you go there, not because it was your end destination.

If it is the second meaning of multicity then I agree that it could be changed to offer this service without major issues with looking after delayed passangers, but there is such small demand for this type of trip that I'd be surprised if it is any way worth the hassle for Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

gilroyb wrote:
    When you say multicity do you mean going to say Stanstead just to get a flight to another destination? ie flying A to C and only going to B for a flight.

Or do you mean that you're looking to take a holiday with a number of different destinations. ie you're flying to B for a holiday and then to C for a holiday.

If it's the first one, then this is different to a return flight. You're only interested in getting to C. The airline that allows connections is giving implied affirmation that the flight it is offering from A to B will get you to B in time to get to C. If the first flight is delayed for whatever reason, it causes problems for them bacause you're only in B because they made you go there, not because it was your end destination.

If it is the second meaning of multicity then I agree that it could be changed to offer this service without major issues with looking after delayed passangers, but there is such small demand for this type of trip that I'd be surprised if it is any way worth the hassle for Ryanair.

The OP is talking about an open-jaw return, where you travel A -> B and then return from C -> A. You're responsible for getting from B to C yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

They should just use the 'shopping basket' system that is so prevalent on online shops etc. That would be far easier. However I would agree in the presumption that the majority of their business is point to point returns so it may not be worth the cost. Would be a nice addition though.

I am the OP and the reason I am doing this is because of cost of flights.

With airports like Manchester and Liverpool are so close together it is easy for a person to fly into one and out of another because you will be an hour or so on a train and say you a couple of euro in the end.

I am flying out on a Sat and back a Sun.

It shouldn't be to much extra work if there system is built properly (I am a system developer so I would have an idea on how long it would take).

All i ask for is that if anyone works in Ryanair sees this I think they should make a suggestion through there leader etc to see if the work could/would be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Maybe if it's on one booking and your outbound is cancelled, they'd have to refund the return portion of your flight? If they force you to make 2 separate bookings they only have to return the cancelled flight cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Ryanair bing "inovative" (cheap) didn't hire proffesionals to design their website they hired students straight from college and told them what they wanted. S a result you get a bit of a strange website that is lacking in standards. AS the idea of multi-trips was not thought of they simply wouldn't think to add it.

Not eht is not 100% but it is my understanding of their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Ryanair bing "inovative" (cheap) didn't hire proffesionals to design their website they hired students straight from college and told them what they wanted. S a result you get a bit of a strange website that is lacking in standards. AS the idea of multi-trips was not thought of they simply wouldn't think to add it.

I also may be wrong, but I think there's a bit of urban myth to that story. The front end (ie the screens) may have been designed on the cheap, but the booking engine is an industry standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The *original* Ryanair website was some front end pages designed by some students tacked on to an industry standard booking package. They have long been replaced by professional design.
    AS the idea of multi-trips was not thought of they simply wouldn't think to add it.

Open jaw trips have been around as long as air travel has.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Another reason is they don't want to get involved in the whole responsibility for missing connections thing. If they sold multihop, then you'd end up with people complaining that they missed the connection and expecting ryainair to do something about it. Also they'd miss a source of revenue - do they skim on the exchange rates ? and they'd loose all the surcharges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

no one is talking about multi-trip its simple fly from dub to man and back from liverpool, no multi-trip involved.

Advertisement