Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing BMW '00 318 Catalytic

Options
  • 28-03-2006 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Is there much involved here?
    How large is the catalytic piece, is it just the box or is there a substantial length of exhaust on either side.

And finally would i need access to a pit to do it or could i manage in my driveway?

Thanks for any advice.

Wavey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Chances are if it is the original exhaust on the car, it will be all one piece from front to back, excluding the exhaust manifold.

The catalytic converter will be just one section but it will more than likely come with the down pipes that attach to the manifold, probably 1 in your case being the 318i, including the cat, continuing out the back of the cat with more exhaust pipe and may include the silencer behind it.

You will not be able to do this job in your driveway as you will have to cut out the section of exhaust that you no longer need and weld in the new section or clamp it in. It can only be done with a ramp.

I'm guessing you already got a price from BMW :eek: to do this and collapsed with the news???

You can buy spurious cats from GSF or OTTO in Dublin and get a local exhaust fitter to fit it for you for a cost, or you could get them to supply & fit. However, sometimes these spurious cats don't seem to be as good quality as the OE ones and hence its a false economy.

To check what type cat you need, go to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
    Type in the last 7 digits of your VIN
    Go to section 18 Exhaust System and you will get a list of subgroups there that you can look at various parts of your exhaust with BMW partnumbers and $ prices of the parts you require.
    Make sure the front gasket is replaced when you do decide to replace the cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for all the advice Lex.

I didnt even bother going near A BMW dealer for a price as i would just sell the car and but as fiesta as soon as i heard it :D

So there will definately be cutting and welding invovled then?

I suppose the best thing would be to hand it over to a local mechanic to sort out.

I stumbled on that OEM site earlier. Very impressive site. Its more like an internal BMW material management system!

Dont suppose u can reccommend any good exhaust fitters in south dublin?

Thanks again

Wavey.

Wavey wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice Lex.

I didnt even bother going near A BMW dealer for a price as i would just sell the car and but as fiesta as soon as i heard it :D

So there will definately be cutting and welding invovled then?

I suppose the best thing would be to hand it over to a local mechanic to sort out.

I stumbled on that OEM site earlier. Very impressive site. Its more like an internal BMW material management system!

Dont suppose u can reccommend any good exhaust fitters in south dublin?

Thanks again

Wavey.
    That site is just a online copy of the ETK cd system that BMW dealers use to search for parts and order them.
    More than likely cutting will be involved alright.

I would just go to a local Advance Pitstop or equivalent and ask them first about sourcing & fitting one and see what they come back with. I would guess it would come it at about €500. They will tell you immediately if its a dealer only part.

If thats the case, you can go with a dealer or buy like I said from GSF or OTTO and see if the Advance P will fit it for you.

I'd guess BMW will be looking for about €1k...no joking

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Hey Lex,

I got a quote of 570 from Fast Fit to supply and fit a Cat.
    They will fit it for 50 and i can source a Cat. at www.cats4less.co.uk for 315 delivered.
    So I will be going with them.

Any experience of this crowd?

Also I want to check with that its the correct one by cross checking with that oem site. There a 3 options for cats for my model.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL32&mospid=47631&btnr=18_0316&hg=18&fg=10

Im guessing its the second but im not sure. Can you help?

Thank.

Wavey.

Wavey wrote:
    Hey Lex,

I got a quote of 570 from Fast Fit to supply and fit a Cat.
    They will fit it for 50 and i can source a Cat. at www.cats4less.co.uk for 315 delivered.
    So I will be going with them.

Any experience of this crowd?

Also I want to check with that its the correct one by cross checking with that oem site. There a 3 options for cats for my model.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL32&mospid=47631&btnr=18_0316&hg=18&fg=10

Im guessing its the second but im not sure. Can you help?

Thank.

Wavey.
    Couldn't tell ya man, but the garage that fits it will know. They just need to put it up on the ramp and see for themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement