Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condenser or Vented?

Options
  • 28-03-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

we are looking to buy a dryer but cannot decide between vented or condensing..
    If we get a vented one I will have to do some longish vent pipe work (though only 2 90 degree angles including the one immediately from the dryer) the concern is that the first metre will be vertical...
    If we just get a condenser all these problems go away, however I'd prefer to not have to empty something all the time (and I hear that cleaning the filters/condenser is a pain in the ass)

So, anyone have any opinions?

Condenser or Vented Dryer 15 votes

Condenser
    0% 0 votes
    Vented
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭jdc78

I bought a condenser dryer 5 weeks ago and have only had to empty it once. I thought I'd be emptying it after every cycle which would be often as we use the dryer on average 4 times a week.

Normally, I'd probably have gone for a vented dryer but seeing as I live in anapartment the condenser was the only choice - no upsets so far.

I am worried now - what's this about cleaning filters and the condenser?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

jdc78 wrote:
    I am worried now - what's this about cleaning filters and the condenser?
    From what I read in the user instructions in the shops on a few models, its "vital" that you clean the condenser are regular intervals, this means take it out and run it under the tap..
    Maybe check your owners manual thingy?

Yeah just read up on it and it says to do run the condensor filter once a month under a tap. No problem. The filter is at the front and easy to get to.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think a few Condenser dryers have an option to drain via your waste pipe.

http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/macro/product.d2w/report?typeref=&prnbr=CTD00
    This dryer can also be seen with Indesit or Creda branding on it. All 3 are owned by Merloni Group.

That one says Mains Drain, which I think does what I'm after referring to. The water tank is at the top (same place as powder dispenser on a washer), and at the back the pipes are visible, where they are pumped from the base to the tank. So, I'd assume you'd just need longer pipe to connect the pipe to your wastepipe, and the dryer will instead pump into waste.

Of course, if at all possible, vented dryers are handiest of all, and about 100eur cheaper too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

vented tumble dryers tend to be more reliable, condensor dyreys are good but for some reason or another seem to have heating problems (only slightly more than vented ones do mind you)

the hotpoint / creda ones do have that option for draining through waste pipe etc, both the TCR2 and CTD00P / CTD00G / CTD00T models have it

if you go condensor the condensor will have to be cleaned but its straightforward as running it under a tap plumbing it into a pipe wont change that as its the condensor that changes the steam to water that goes to the water container

from experience (i work with a white goods manufacturer) if you feel the first metre or so of a vent will be vertical get a condensor dryer because what your gaurenteed to get is with the vent vertical like that is condensation coming back down the vent causing leaks / tripping switches / not drying properly as the vent really does need to be as horizontal as possible

hope that helps

byte wrote:
    All 3 are owned by Merloni Group.

just being anal here but creda is owned by hotpoint/indesit who bought out merloni a while ago afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey, thanks a lot for the details.
    I had looked at the pumped condensers as they sound handy, but I hadnt seen any in the shops (just online)
    So you reckon that vertical venting is a no-no huh?
    Hmmm
    Integrated Condensers seem to cost an arm and a leg!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

GreeBo wrote:
    So you reckon that vertical venting is a no-no huh?

definitely, you may even be ok for a short time (about a month) or so but if the vent hose is vertical for the first metre or so your going to experience problems sooner rather than later

have a look online if yer going hotpoint and give a company called ASD a buzz and they'll be able to provide one for you or at the least point you to a dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

I have a Zanussi conderser drier and find it great.
    I use it all the time and have to empty it about once per week. No big deal, a simple balstic container slots out and you empty it and shove it back in, it isn't heavy even when full.
    I have to pull out the filter about once a month or less and run it under the outside tap as a lot of fluff and lint comes off it and it would block a sink.
    It dries incredibly quickly and it is four years old and has been used almost daily, often twice a day when babies were little and no problems so far.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

miju wrote:
    just being anal here but creda is owned by hotpoint/indesit who bought out merloni a while ago afaik

Hmm, the way I thought, Merloni (who owned Indesit) bought Hotpoint (whom also owned Creda at the time), and then changed their name from Merloni to Indesit Company, as they feel Indesit is a strong brandname :rolleyes:

They also own Scholtes and Ariston it seems.

On a side note:
    Soledad, how long does it take roughly to dry a normal wash? I use a Whirlpool condenser, and it would take about 2hrs 10mins to do most loads. I personally think this is very long. The condenser unit is cleaned out, as I had first blamed that. Mabye this dryer is just a pile of rubbish. It belongs to the landlord, and the crazy thing is, it's beside the outside wall! It wouldn't have been much hassle to put in a vented one.

It takes about 90 minutes to dry clothes straight from the washing machine.
    I usually put two loads of washing in together, ie only put on the dryer after I have done two loads in the washing machine.
    It does seem to dry pretty quickly compared to other brands I have used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Soledad wrote:
    It takes about 90 minutes to dry clothes straight from the washing machine.
    I usually put two loads of washing in together, ie only put on the dryer after I have done two loads in the washing machine.
    It does seem to dry pretty quickly compared to other brands I have used.

Just out of interest, as i am currently debating the same thing, where do you have the condenser drier and do you have any problems with heat / condensation. We are wanting to put a condenser drier in the hall cupboard as it is the only place we have space for it but i am concerned it won't get the ventilation required.

We have ours on top of the washer (makes loud noises because it's not 100% stable) in the hall closet in with the hot water tank. Usually need to leave the door open as the closet would become a sauna and damp - worried about the dampness getting into the walls.

Ours in under the stiars currently which has doors fixed to the outside which I ALWAYS leave open while the drier is on, the condensation goes mad if the kids close the doors while the drier is running.
    So in a press would be fine once you make sure to leave the press open during running.

Advertisement