Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a breakfast bar - Wall Removal

Options
  • 28-03-2006 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Okay, surprisingly she has given me the go ahead to do some DIY’ing in our new apartment and we have decided to remove part of a kitchen wall (see picture) to create a breakfast bar and open concept kitchen living/dining area.

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to home repairs and renovations but I suppose confident enough to take this on. It’s not a load bearing wall and is just plasterboard. I reckon the only issues I will encounter are ensuring I do not cut through the wires of the light switches and relocating the switches where labelled (have an electrician mate who is going to help with that).

Can anyone give any advice to someone taking this one for the first time from taking down the wall to plastering?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

You will need some battening and plasterbaord to finish of the partition to make the breakfast bar. A smallish bit of plastering is all that is needed. Could be fun moving the light switch, but other than that its a weekends work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Looks a fun job, and as Martin say's providing no surprises, a weekends work. When it come to the finishing. Theres a poduct out the called ready to roll skim coat.

I used this when I blocked up double door bewteen the kitchen and front room. It was a distaster as the product had only been on the market a short while and the tools to do the job had not been supplied. BUt I've been assured that with the right tools, its a dodle to do. I'm acually going to buy some more and give it another go.

Best of luck on you job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

Hey,
    Just one thing you should maybe check out before you do this is would this comply with the fire safety certificate for your apartment. because this is an apartment a cert would have been applied for and granted.
    Looking at the picture, i assume the door into your living/dining area is to the right of the wall to be removed.
    If this is correct, then, the reason for the wall being there in the first place is that in the case of a fire in your kitchen, the wall (which may have a 30min fire rating) will stop the spread of fire for enough time as to allow you escape from your living room without having to pass through the flames.
    i.e. most fire officers state that your escape from your living area in an apartment is in the opposite direction to your kitchen, thus you are not escaping through or into the direction of your kitchen(most likely place for fire).
    So, if you remove that wall, you are effectively removing the fire barrier that divides the kitchen and living, thus removing the escape route.

If this is the case, you could have problems when selling, i.e surveyor inspections etc.

Sorry for goin on about it, but maybe its worth checkin out with a call to your local fire station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

Even though it is not a load bearing wall I would also check your apartment lease to see if it permits removal of walls. Generally with apartments you really only own the right to use the space i.e what is in your lease.
    Also see if you can get your hands on a copy of the plans that kitchen may be of pod construction and this may prove a nuisance if you do get to remove the wall.
    These might be just 2 things to check before you proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭jdc78

Thanks for the info.

I never thought about the fire regulations. Had a look at the fire safety code and as you can see from the attachment, where the fire door is, must complete the 30 min firewall... therefore, I think my partial wall removal is fine it also only states in the lease contract that the apartment must be maintained in a fashionable order and not changing from say a 2 bed apt to a 1 bed apt.

Other than changing around some switches the only other problem is cleaning up the mess I've made... I don't think the dust will ever leave.

Thanks for the feedback and info. Why is it though these projects always seem like such a great idea until you get half way through it? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement