Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redoing the back garden

Options
  • 28-03-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

The back garden isnt in good condition these days and i was thinking about redoing it. There is an awful lot of moss, the grass is thin, the ground is uneven, there is an old pond thats filled in with large stones and the roots of the large tree have spread and saplings from it seem to be trying to sprout everywhere.

I've been thinking that the only way to fix this is to buy a shovel and remove the existing layer of moss and grass, fill in the pond and level it.
    How deep do i need to go to get rid of it and will i need to get new topsoil?
    Is seed or grass the best option?
    Will need to gt a small skip to take the stuff away. how mush are small ones?
    Its not a big backgarden, typical modern dublin suburban size.

Any tips and advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Howdy

Do you know anyone with a trailer? You could get your topsoil free in the buy and sell if your willing to collect it, plus you can then use the trailer to take the rubbish to the dump, alot cheaper than a skip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

You can try turning over the soil with a garden fork or hire a rotivator. Clear out all the weeds, rake the ground level and use a sand/soil mix where there are large hollows. Sow grass seed on the level ground and leave it for a while - I'm no gardener but I had to clear away my own place, you could surprise yourself with the results.
    Re skip hire - you can buy skip bags from homebase. They're the same as the 1ton sand bags you see at building sites. They're cheaper than skips and you only need to fill it when you are ready. You ring the guys when its done, pay by credit card and its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Re skip hire - you can buy skip bags from homebase. They're the same as the 1ton sand bags you see at building sites. They're cheaper than skips and you only need to fill it when you are ready. You ring the guys when its done, pay by credit card and its gone.

Sounds a great thing. Do you know how much it costs to have the bag removed, and who you call?

Thanks in advance,

I think you pay a deposit of €13 for the bag and then its €78 for collection (again I'm not sure). This is a DUBLIN ONLY service - thought I'd best mention that. They do 1.0 and 1.5 ton bags. I have 2 sitting in my garden waiting for collection. I'll try to rememebr to read the info and post tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

that sounds good but there is no access to the garden from the back. would have to have it in the front garden or on the road for them to collect it much like a skip. will look into it, thanks.

They're called BabySkips. I couldn't find them on the web. You can have the skip up to 4 metres from the road and a crane picks it up. I have 2 in my front garden full of rubble from the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I think you pay a deposit of €13 for the bag and then its €78 for collection (again I'm not sure). This is a DUBLIN ONLY service - thought I'd best mention that. They do 1.0 and 1.5 ton bags. I have 2 sitting in my garden waiting for collection. I'll try to rememebr to read the info and post tomorrow.

the 1.5 ton bag is €95 i think for collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doringo

About the babyskip
    - midi skip 1 tonne, bag 13.99 E,collection 78 E
    - mega skip 1,5 tonne,bag 18.5 E,collection 98 E
    You can call them on 01 4299846 for details.

Advertisement