Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter not over just yet

Options
  • 28-03-2006 2:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Quite amazingly now its effectively April it appears winter isnt quite over yet. Most models are going for a cooling from the end of this week and with pressure gradually building to the North quite a potent Easterly or N Easterly may be on the cards. A little early yet but certainly something to keep an eye on.:)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

much and all as I wanted cold and snow all winter, I'll gladly take some warmth and sunshine now :)

Looking absolutely ridiculous to be honest.

As per usual for the last few years,the synoptics that would snow us all in for january arrive in April.

Expect miserable wintry showers next week cold and Dampness.

Oh and get another fill for your oil tank or cut some turf...

Bring on the heat instead folks please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

:eek: That guy on TodayFM looks like he was right after all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I had to laugh, I came here today to spread the word, after I checked the 120 hour chart I have bookmarked. This is forecast for April.:eek: :eek:

I do wish though that winter would properly end. I want no more old damp days. I only want snow and lots of it.:)

That goes without saying that warm dry weather is brilliant too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even the mild weather that arrived after the cold spell was useless as it has practically not stopped raining in a week:( I havent been happy with the weather here in a long time. I now want warm, sunny and DRY weather.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Eh check this out:eek:

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!168!Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2006040112!!chart.gif

I nearly chocked when I saw that chart. I cant dare to believe something like that will happen. This is April after all. I wonder if that chart was an April Fool's joke...:rolleyes:

Here is another look at it:

Recm1681.gif

Oh if only:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

abit ridiculus how cold its going to be this week! but with the sun
    out i think it will feel quite pleasent even if the thermometer only
    reads 6 or 7c. Although it looks like there will be some sharp frosts
    on Monday and Tuesday night down to -4c locally which is pretty
    absurd for April!;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

now why didnt this happen in December or January:)
    bit crap happening in almost mid April when temperatures should be about 16C or 17C

• Advertisement

16/17c are the average maximums for July not for April!

Average temps in april are around 10-12c rising to 12-15c
    towards the end of the month.

A ridiculus outlook again by the 12z 850hpa temps around -3 - -9c for
    the whold 0-18hohr stunt!

So 7 days of maxima of 5-8c and minima of around 0c..

Mix that with heavy convective showers blown in on a stiff breeze
    from Wednsday and its going to feel very very cold for mid April:rolleyes:

Watch out for a widespread severe frost on Tuesday night maybe some
    records might go.. widespread -4c forecast;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

WHY OH WHY are these charts happening now,I honestly havent seen a cold January in a long time with siberian easterly or polar winds,now they are kept for March and April???????.
    Its a pity though,made my first snow ball today(hail ball) from a shower at 17.00 today and what a shower,heavens opened up deposited 2cm of hail against walls.
    AH well lets hope for another cold month which might break more records and to look back in a few years and say"what a cold spring in 2006 we had,signs of the day after tomorrow about to happen when the conveyor shut down for good" and now its 2010 and we are up to our knees in snow in May.:D :D:D lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

:eek:

A chance of snow showers on Sunday for the North?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn542.png

Possibility of snow today. A bit of a weather feature coming south later this afternoon. Eastern NI looks odds on for snow at low levels but increasingly likely to see sleet or maybe the odd flake of wet snow in Eastern parts.:)

I have my doubts

Dewpoint has dropped considerably since morning but the air temp is 7.8c

Might get wintry alright in a heavy shower (the air temp did drop 6c here in one yesterday which if it were to reoccur would bring us down to 2c and that would do it)

DP is -2c here thats a drop from 0c earlier

Taf for Belfast goes for sleet

EGAA 090902Z 091019 34014KT 9999 SCT035 TEMPO 1019 34016G26KT TEMPO 1219 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 1216 4000 SHRASN BKN012 BKN025CB=

So not something to wet our pants over...

The Dublin one goes for rain.

Though I'm not sure whether we should rely on them in that things are very uncertain.
    The eagles forecast on friday for instance for sunday completely changed last night...
    On friday he said there would be little or no showers on sunday and last night , he said there was to be as many as yesterday...

Earthman wrote:
    I have my doubts

Dewpoint has dropped considerably since morning but the air temp is 7.8c

Might get wintry alright in a heavy shower (the air temp did drop 6c here in one yesterday which if it were to reoccur would bring us down to 2c and that would do it)

DP is -2c here thats a drop from 0c earlier

Hi E,man. Yes but I think were looking at something more frontal in nature later and that does make a difference. Maybe a bit of sleet down here. We dont actually need, at this time of year very low temps (temperature will drop off quickly anyway under cloud cover). Dew points as you rightly point out are falling so certainly something to watch. Not expecting snow myself but certainly a risk:)

The front/trough is arriving into NI..

May turn sharp was convection gets going into it when its over land
    if its a trough that is:)

• Advertisement

The front/trough is arriving into NI..

May turn sharp was convection gets going into it when its over land
    if its a trough that is:)
    Hi WC, risk of sleet or snow in the North and East I think. Even Irish met have us down for 'wintry showers' now heavy and prolonged. At sea level wet sleet probrably:rolleyes:

Hail too and maybe a rumble of thunder.

Incidently theres some snow on the top of lugnaquilla.I can see it from here.
    Probably from yesterdays showers.
    It looks like its at 2800ft to the top at 3000ft

Weve just had a hail and, yes, brief fall of snow then turned back to hail:D

Well i've just had for the second successive year snow in April!

A brief light flurry or SNOW:eek: :D

Obviously sleety in nature but definately snow flakes in there:D

Interestingly within that prolonged precip to our north the temp has really dropped. Malin head now showing 4C:rolleyes:

Well i've just had for the second successive year snow in April!

A brief light flurry or SNOW:eek: :D

Obviously sleety in nature but definately snow flakes in there:D

Must have been the same shower. In fact the sun was actually out while the snow flurry occured. :confused:

The precip to our north is showing some intensity on 2pm radar. Embedded hail and thunder probrably.

Yea:D

The band to the north looks interesting alrite;)

Well Aldergrove and Belfast city are reporting rain-albeit at a cold 3c,so I wouldnt get my pants wet yet,unless ye are planning on taking a trip up to Lamb Doyles or johnny foxes...

EGAA 091350Z 30006KT 9999 -SHRA BKN013 03/02 Q1018=

Notice the DP is 2 degree's above zero up there too.

A light rain shower here now:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

the rain turned to snow about half an hour ago up here. its startin to settle on the grass

Advertisement